Topic

Reinventing… the chair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Reinventing… the chair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Derek is right. To keep an ultralight 3 legged stool stable you need to tie the bottoms of each leg together in some fashion. The top is obviously held together with the fabric seat. If not secured at the bottom, the legs will splay and it will fail at the mid shaft joint.

Allison- when there are no trees I pitch the hammock on the ground with the tarp and use it like an elaborate bivy. Admittedly it is not much of a seat in that conformation, but neither is any tent or bivy. I also use my Contrail or SMD Gatewood Cape if I know trees will be in short supply.

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

> I bet some DIYers can use the slinglight as an external pack frame and get multi use out of it

I have taken a slinglight chair and created what I call the "Chair-e-it" backpack. It converts into five useful items:
    an external frame backpack, camp chair, lounge chair, cot, and fanny pack yet weighs only 1 lb 15 oz.

For pictures, description, and instructions for building your own Chair-e-it go to http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~geist/Philmont

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey Mark,

I always carry a 3-legged chair that I bought several years ago at Costco. It's similar to the Roll-a-Stool chair you mentioned, and just a few ounces heavier at exactly 1 pound. I love being able to sit above ground level and be able to move around as shade or smoke dictate. I'm willing to suck up the weight but I admit that I really like the sound of your 5 ounce version. I understand no pics are available, but can you tell us (me) how you made it? Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools