Topic

Reinventing… the chair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Reinventing… the chair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Dunlap

@amd717

Locale: Southwest Virginia

We've all seen the kits that companies like Big Agnes and Thermarest have come out with to couple with their pads to form surprisingly comfortable alternatives to sitting on the ground at camp. They have even come out with SL versions of these designs coming in at 6.5 oz and 10.5 oz respectively.

But what are these chairs really, but some fabric and webbing? This may have been discussed before, and to be honest, I haven't looked at every previous thread to find out. If there is a link, by all means, please send me there.

Would it be that difficult to fab one of these guys up for even less weight so that carrying a chair into the backcountry could be a weightless (relatively speaking) endeavor?

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

>>Would it be that difficult to fab one of these guys up for even less weight…<<

At a substantial weight savings? Maybe.

I managed to come up with a 2oz version using grosgrain webbing and dual trekking pole back supports (velcro loops sewn to the grosgain), but never quite got it the level of being "marketable." Basically, you can sit in it, but you can't lean back much without the pad (and user) contorting out of place. I suspect this is the standard caveat the lighter you go here, too. A chair kit needs a certain amount of beefiness, and probably fabric sleeves, in order to take the full weight of a reclining occupant.

One UL solution that works well, though… trees. Fold the pad into a chair shape as usual, back portion against any convenient and sturdy trunk. :)

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

find a big stone!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

With the Thermarester and Crazy Creek chairs, you're still sitting on the ground. Take a look the Sling-Light http://www.slinglight.com. I've been using one since 1986. I leave the head rest at home and just slide down and use a jacket, etc. to pad my head.

I love 'em and think they're worth the additional ounces.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I think that with 2 oz/yd fabric, carbon fiber rods, and lightweight 1/2 inch webbing, you could probably get the weight down to around 4 ounces.

But then you are investing some considerable time and expense into saving 2 ounces on a chair that requires a 20 ounce pad!

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I will go with the big stone, the big log, the tree or …

However, my wife loves her Thermarest chair so the answer is it depends and YMMV

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Denis:

I bet some DIYers can use the slinglight as an external pack frame and get multi use out of it.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Ben:

now you have got me thinking. slinglight sleeping? talk about multiuse! like hammock sleeping it could make sleeping pad redundant. You simply use an underquilt. I can already imagine some exotic setups!

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

the lightest chair you could make will use carbon fibre rods, cuben, and dyneema guylines.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

FYI the thermarest chair will work wit a zrest or a ridgerest too just not as well.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Ben2,
    Is Bill watching this post? I should take a harder look at this idea. Mayhaps I could replace the frame on my LuxuryLight with the New Improved Sling-LuxuryLight.

Andrew Dunlap

@amd717

Locale: Southwest Virginia

great ideas being thrown around here! thanks for the input

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I don't see why you couldn't incorporate something like TG two piece trekking poles as the support, and cuben fabric plus grossgrain webbing to hold the pad in place (ridgerest would work just fine). Couldn't weigh very much as long as you're already carrying the poles!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Denis,

I read almost every thread that has anything to do with UL "BACKPACKING"
    or a "MYOG" type project or ideas.

These all seem to be way over my weight limit.

Try a hammock.

You can sit in the middle of it almost like a chair.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

I agree with Bill. –>Hammock- it is your chair and your shelter and a darn good chair with a back and can be used as a lounger, too.

seat

lounge

Along the trail I use a Gossamer Gear NighLight torso pad to sit on. I have it strapped to the outside of my back for quick access.

-Mark

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Mark – You look way too comfortable… ;)

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Brian,

Yeah, it's tough work, but someone has to do it. :-)

-Mark

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Mark, that looks lush. I am going to have to try a hammock one of these days.
    Thanks for the idea.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Phil,
    Do try it. I sleep SO much better in my hammock than on the ground.

I'm not sure of the geological condition that caused the ground to get harder over the last 30 years, but it sure has.

I'm working on getting our Scouts converted to hammock camping. Easy set up, more comfort and more LNT.

I was so bummed that Philmont does not allow hammocks.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Hammocks are multi purpose as a camp chair and/or lounger as well as bed….Besides comfort you stay a lot cleaner, get less bug bites….With practice you can master a quick set up in under 90 seconds… Heck there are several ways to hang them now without even tying a knot or using a lashing…. This makes using them for a comfortable lunch break or even a 20 minute rest in mid afternoon a practical way to go.

Besure to get a breathable exterior bottom insulation plan for best comfort and ease of movement in the hammock whether sleeping or sitting.

But Hey i'm biased.

Pan

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

hey that hammock thing is kinda cool. i might have to look into it!

i dont know what's taking everyone else so long, its the best move I. ever. made.

when not hangin' near the group or fire etc… I use a sit light pad. my philosophy regarding UL hiking is that if you dont carry that 1 lb thermarest chair, you wont need it at camp. HYOH!

you might could make one out of Spinnaker, 3/4 polypro webbing, and a GG Nightlite pad

Bob Ellenberg

@bobthebuilder

We veered off subject for those of us not using hammocks. Several years ago I rigged up my treking poles and some straps to my pack as a passable chair. I basically leaned against my pack and the straps were attached to my sholder straps and I was sitting on my poles and the straps went to the ends of them. This fall I intend to try some new arrangements of the poles putting them cross ways under the back of my knees to spread the straps further apart.

What could the rest of you come up with?

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

I'm sorry. My fault. I just like my hammock.

I did work on a 3 legged stool patterned off the Roll-A-Stool (TM)
    FoldAStool
    but made out of carbon fiber and ripstop nylon that came in right at 5 oz. (sorry no pic of my creation available) But I alway had the uneasy feeling when sitting on it that it would collapse or worse fail and send splinters of CF into my rear, so I stopped using it and switched to carrying the GG NightLight pad Torso Length to sit on. Use it on logs, rocks, the ground, everywhere. waterproof, very comfy, 3.5 oz.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what about a miniature hammock seat. One just big enough for your rear. Tie to two trees and have a great seat. Could probably use spectra cord and cuben and have it weight only an ounce or two. Would be nice around camp. Just a thought.

Happy Trails,
    -Mark

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

By drilling holes and cutting away bits of a chair like Mark shows in his picture I got down to 3.5 ounces. I only use it cycle camping and the strain is taken by my spare gear cable through the bottom of each leg to stop them spreading.
    There ought to be a way to use your rucksack as a back.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Well what do you hammockers do when there are no trees around??

I've tried the LuxuryLite pack frame/sit pad. It works well if your pack is full-ish, not quite as good once you've unpacked a lot of the bulky stuff though, and the bottom of the frame can be a bit rough on a tent floor unless you put down something else first to protect it.

I still like the idea of attempting a cuban/Ti-goat poles chair combo. I just have to get some cuban…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools