Topic

Helium $ or Ultralite $$? Cost Incentive?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Helium $ or Ultralite $$? Cost Incentive?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Although the weight difference between the Apache and Versalite is negligible, the width is not. I get very clustrophobic in the narrower bags such as the Apache or Ultralite, plus I like having the extra room to layer with the Versalite. It's not just about keeping warm while in the bag (the Versalite is a toaster), it's also about keeping a layer of warmth around me when I get up in the night or rise in the morning.

However I don't think you can go wrong with either depending on how you cope with width/lack of width issue.

Nick Chen

@fleetparadox

Locale: Socal

Wow, the Versalite has its own fan club.

So after stopping by a local retailer that carries WM bags…

I finally decided on the SHORT WM Ultralite.

1. The price at $260 was just too good to pass up.
    2. At my height 5'7.5 and 140 lb it was an exact fit (not as luxurious but it'll probably be warmer for the weight with the tight fit)

Hopefully it will be warm enough for the Sierras on the JMT. Fingers crossed! (I bought a Montbell UL Down Inner jacket to assist in that)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I own three bags of theirs and would not own anything else. The Highlite and Ultralite and tight on me whilst sleeping but still have great warmth to weight ratio.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nick,
    Add me to the WM fan club, Ultralite and Summerlite. I can just about guarantee that you will be "roasty-toasty in an Ultralite on the JMT, as long as you keep it dry. Since I got the Summerlite I only use the Ultralite on fall trips, and I'm a skinny lil' guy. So, unless you are an exceptionally cold sleeper, you should be fine, especially if you have that down jacket along. Hope you have a great trip.

Nick Chen

@fleetparadox

Locale: Socal

Funny you should say that Tom.

After some thought, I changed my order from Ultralite to Versalite.

Figured the 3 oz difference was worth it for the extra warm and space. (If they had a regular Ultralite I would've been all over it)

The Short length + tighter proportions would've just been too uncomfortable I think. It was fine for laying perfectly tight and still but I'm a stomach sleeper and need space for my arms up and around my head.

Hopefully I don't regret the decision.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Versalite has the added advantage of covering just about anything you would want to do, with the possible exception of full on winter hiking/climbing, and probably even that if you layered up at night. Good choice, IMO, especially since the short Ultralite was a pretty tight fit. Your main problem in summer Sierra conditons with a Versalite is likely to be staying cool enough to sleep. I know I had that problem with my Ultralite, which led me to buy a Highlite then upgrade to the Summerlite when it came out. I have found the Summerlite just about ideal for Sierra summer trips, but if I had to choose one bag it would be the Ultralite for 3 seasons, or the Versalite if I was contemplating winter trips.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Jason Haskell

@j942rhino

That coupon code is reserved for Fire Fighters and First Responders as a thank you for their service. If you use it you will need to verify that you are indeed a First Responder or your order will be canceled.

Daniel Smith

@dmanhiker

Hey everyone, I realize this thread is kinda old but I wanted to know if anyone has ordered from backcountry using that code.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools