Topic

Killarney 2005 UL trip report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Killarney 2005 UL trip report

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John Chan

@ouroboros

I’ve compiled a photo album of my Killarney trip for all to view. All the photos were taken with a Panasonic LX1 in 16×9 cinemawide format.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=536952

Start from the bottom right and go up if you want a chronologically correct read of the trip.

Also, I’ve kept a GPS trip log and if anyone has Topo Canada for Garmin I can email you the log if you plan on doing the trip and want to take advantage of technology to navigate the trickier sections of the trail.

Comments are welcome.

John.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

John,
    Great color & texure in those photos! Sorry to hear about the condensation in the hammock. What hammock did you use (it looks like a Hennessey Hammock)? Any thoughts about why you got so much condensation?

Thanks for sharing the shots.

Tom

John Chan

@ouroboros

That’s the hammock I used.

The condensation problem came about because I set up the fly in “lockdown mode” due to the lake effect thunderstorm with gail force winds that night.

Ordinarily, this wouldn’t be a problem but the fly has a peculiar “achilles heel” in its design. The tie-outs are located on the longest diagonal of the trapezoidal fly pattern and if they are slightly overtightened the ensuing ridgeline of the fly can fold back onto itself which creates a place were condensation can collect.

My bag was wet out overnight from a combination of the dripping fly, and some side-blown rain (horizontal sheets came down!) that the fly couldn’t catch.

The next 48 hours were “interesting” though…

Rob Ferguson
    BPL Member

@robthehiker

I'm doing the trail in July and would love a copy of the GPS log!

Colin Parkinson

@parkinson1963

Re:The mystery of the rocks, yes they were carried along by the two mile thick glacier that covered this part of Canada 12 000 years ago.

Unless you are a creationist then these rocks were carried by the Flood. 6 000 years ago all rocks could float and or could be pushed uphill.

Colin Parkinson

@parkinson1963

By the way beautiful pictures.

Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

One of my favorite trips, I was there in 2005 as well. I hope to due the La Cloche Silhouette Trail again in the near future.

Doug

Tom McDowell

@tjlm58

Hi John,

We will be at Bell Lake for a week in August and will be doing some hiking (including Silver Peak). I would be interested in a copy of your GPS Garmin logs.

Regards,
    Tom

[email protected]

Matt Brown

@matthewrbrown999

John, just looking to see if you still monitor this post or site…looking to see if I can get the coordinates of the trail…I have hiked it each year for the last 7 and have yet to come across another individual who has taken the time to actually map it out via GPS….I am a new user to the Garmin Topo Mapping program and would like to input your data…I can also give you a great 80km (7day with 2 of rest) via canoe/kayak via Whitefish Falls!

derek parsons

@neurotek

Locale: ontario

as i have a magellen explorist 200 (limited in it's ability to upload maps, at least to my knowledge), but i plan on marking various spot along the trail, so i can tag my photos on google earth or panorama.

i've brought the gps with me the last 3 years, but always forget to save it at the end of the trip. i'm also taking a camera this time, i've never be one for taking photos, but i just purchased a canon ps720is a few months ago, and i quite enjoy it.

when i get back from my trip in september, i'll post the pics and share any gps data that my unit is capable of uploading.

James Booth

@jbooth

Hi John,

I would be really grateful if I could receive a copy of your GPS trip to Killarney.

[email protected]

Much appreciated! Thanks.

James

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools