Topic

What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What Is Your Favorite Thing To Do In Camp At The End Of The Day

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I know there is related threads to this but this is a tad more specific.

When I get into camp, do all my chores, and have dinner, I really like to sit down and watch what is left with the alpineglow and sip some single malt scotch. Mind you, just enough to take the worries away and put a smile on my face. The combination of being in the backcountry and having some nice scotch makes the troubles all go away!!!!

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I'm a bourbon man myself, and I often try to get a bit of flyfishing in after dinner, otherwise I agree completely. Brightens up a miserable day or is the perfect cap on a glorious backcountry setting. A perfect attitude adjuster.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

I like to make a fire and eat dinner sitting in front of it. Even if I only gather enough sticks to make it last 25 minutes–in fact, most of my backpacking fires last less than an hour and are pretty small–as long as a fire is burning while I'm eating dinner, I'm happy. (it helps distract from the taste and consistency of dehydrated meals…)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sit down. And do nothing for a few minutes.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

rest…eat…converse with tripmates

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I like to have a small fire. I tend to get antsy just sitting around so gathering sticks and keeping the fire going keeps me occupied.

On trips where I have a partner I enjoy sitting around a small fire and talking or telling stories.

To be honest, I don't like being in camp much. I don't like being idle and sometimes it feels like I'm just burning time until bed-time, especially when I'm out solo. I get much more relaxation (mentally at least) from the walking aspect of hiking, not so much being in camp.

Adam

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

Yeah………single malt with a splash of water. Yah-hooooo!

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

If fires are allowed,then definitely a small camp fire to poke, with a hot cup of tea and if they are there, some good friends to discuss life, the universe and everything with. Watching a good sunset on stunning scenery rounds off a great day. Oh… and did i mention food and finally taking my footwear off!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

– Enjoy the satisfying feeling that a nice warm cup of soup gives me as I watch the sunset or stars.
    – Have a nip of something while talking with friends.
    – Talk about the day's hike (or anything) with my son and daughter.
    – Read the map to find out where I really was during the day.

Tom

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

> To be honest, I don't like being in camp much. I don't like being idle and sometimes it feels like I'm just burning time until bed-time, especially when I'm out solo. I get much more relaxation (mentally at least) from the walking aspect of hiking, not so much being in camp.

Adam,

I couldn't have put it better myself. Anyone out there have tips for Adam and myself regarding relaxing at the end of the day, especially when alone?

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Adam/Casey,
    Try fishing.
    Read a book.
    Write a letter or document your journey and observations.
    Take up amateur astronomy. Knowing constellations and when/where to look for them will also improve your navigation skills should you ever take on hiking at night.
    When all else fails, sudoku!

Dave T

@davet

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Have good long stretch and a toke.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I'm with Adam, Casey, and Dave. As a solo hiker camp time can be hard once everything is done. What I normaly try to do is hike as long as possible getting to camp around dusk.

Once I find a site I typically start with getting my water treated so it can set at least 30 minutes. Then I get to work on camp setup…tarp & kitchen area (some distance away). If fire is allowed I gather wood and prepare a place to sit. Next comes setting up the bear bag (just the line in the tree suspended by a rock in a mesh bag).

Now it is time for dinner. I rest a few while the stove is heating water. I get my food rehydrating and if it is cold I hug the pouch for warmth. I eat, enjoy tea, and when done hang my food and kicthen stuff.

Now I start my fire. I usually enjoy some whiskey or everclear in lemon drink to settle me down and play with the coals. Next I write about what happened that day on the back of my photocopied map. I try my cell phone to let the wife know I still live (8/10 times it does not work). Then I might snaps some pics of my site and wander around a bit and maybe shoot some short video clips for my kids. They like to call me "Survivor Dad".

If I have planned well it is now pitch dark and I go to bed watching the fire die eager for morning to come and start a new day. I absolutely love the early morning.

The worse times are in the winter. January alone can be hard. In a valley darkness starts to settle in around 4:30 so it is time to find a camp. It is absolutely black around 5:30 pm and if you are not allowed fires it can be a bit lonely.

But even for those brief moments asking myself…am I really having fun sitting alone in black woods at 7:30 pm with nothing to do…something always happens the next day to make it all worth it.

Jamie

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

You know, by the time I have
    * found a tent site
    * pitched the tent
    * got water
    * cooked and eaten dinner (3 courses)
    * washed up
    * cleaned my teeth

a) it is quite dark
    b) I am very tired

So guess what: I go to sleep!

Cheers

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Lay in the hammock reading and listening to my radio. I love the early fall when there is football games on in the evening.

M Blick

@mattblick

Locale: Ohio

Whiskey (Bourbon, Scotch, or Irish) and cigars around a campfire are my favorites.. If light/safety allows I might also fish some though I usually do that on whole days that I don't hike.

David Wills

@willspower3

Aside from things like taking a nip, journaling, conversing with friends, and camp chores, I really like to introspect and sort out things. Solo hiking is a great time for it. I also like to take camp time to activley appreciate and observe nature. I would have to say that warming up my belly with some brandy with my buddies tops the list though.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

I don't have much expierience solo backpacking. Its usually with a good friend or other, sometimes with a dog. I have gotten into a warm cup of yogi beadtime tea :) and a couple sips of whiskey before bed. I love the way that that little bit of comfort will help me quell the small anxieties of being out and allow me to really deflate. If I'm being honest 5 of the last 5 overnights I've done start after dark. I like night hiking and backpacking a lot. 70% of my nights out are spent away from bears and predators so I enjoy the peace of mind that comes with not worrying about my food. Then I will usually answer natures call, then once back in my bag I can just lay and think and talk, but I'm ready to sleep whenever I feel like it. Looking up at the stars I let the tea and whiskey do its thing. I really like waking up and only seeing stars, I think outside with no shelter is when I get my most relaxing sleep.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

sex

Erik Graf

@vango

Locale: Southeast

I'm with some of you who do not enjoy the down time of camping – I'd like to keep going but camp I must.

I take a ton of photos so my favorite thing to do is lay back and look through them. 2nd favorite is to clean up and change my shirt especially.

Seems a lot of folks take a nip – I need to try that….

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

Enjoy some good tequilla or whiskey and a good english blend tobacco with a pipe. Mmmmmmm. A fire adds at least 10 points to the enjoyability factor as well. :-)

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Sleep and eat a chocolate bar. Chocolate is awesome in the backcountry, anytime, anywhere. I don't remember the last time I had a campfire when I was out hiking. I kind of despise using them for anything but cooking, and I cook over a wood fire so infrequently that it is a non-factor.

Joe Westing

@pedro87

when out solo:
    look through photos, take new photos, check out exactly where i traveled during the day on the map, plan where i will be heading the next day on the map (i luv maps), nap, read, eat, ponder the meaning of life, write in a journal, listen to music (i don't do this often), watch the sunset, look at the stars, make a fire where appropriate, etc.

when out w/ other people, i do the above plus:
    talk, make jokes, tell stories, play frisbee where possible, play cards, etc.

Personally, I like camping about equally as much as the hiking part of backpacking – especially when you are camping at a nice, remote backcountry spot w/ good friends.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

If alone, then Tai Chi and stretching, botanising and bird-watching if it's light enough and not raining, reading (especially if it is raining).

With others, I enjoy their company. A bit of whiskey or wine never goes amiss.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools