Topic

Tilley hat – which one?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tilley hat – which one?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Steven, maybe it varies by hat size. I wear the big adjustable size Tilley, so…

Then again, it could be attributable to the headnet. I have an MLD headnet. Others might be larger.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I know a lot of people love these hats, but I really don't like them at all… personally. I find they too hot and heavy. They don't breathe well. But my body tends to "run hot". I will break out in a sweat walking to work on a cool fall day. I eventually found a Henschel hat that I LOVE LOVE LOVE! I don't see the exact hat on their website, but it's one of the "Breezers". I buy them at Lee Valley Tools. I'm lucky enough to have a Lee Valley where I live. Here's the web link.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=53404&cat=2,42407,33245

It's super light. Indestructible. VERY cool and breezy. Cheap (but well made). Comfortable. Bigger brim than a Tilley. Predicable sizing (Tilley's are hand made and you HAVE to try them on before you buy). And I love that I can see through the mesh brim on a sunny day. I can't say enough about this hat. It's awesome. I had two Tilley's before and personally… I didn't like them at all. I gave them away to family. But that's just me. I know I'm in the minority.

p.s.. The Tilleys I tried were the LT5 (with grommet holes) and the LTM5 "Airflow" (with mesh ring at the top). I returned the LT5 after wearing it around the house for a few days to try out… and I donated the LTM5 to my dad after trying in on trail for a week long hike. I was sweating like a pig with the "Airflow" hat.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I'm also not a Tilley fan, except for the original L5 in cotton, for non-hiking days. LIke David I've found the nylon Tilley's hot and sweaty. I also have the LT5 and the LTH5 (hemp). The hemp version doesn't keep its shape well and is too cool when it gets wet.

My favorite hat is the Patagonia Trim Brim, which I modified by sewing in a Schoeller fabric patch inside the crown to help protect the top of my head better. The stiffened baseball cap type bill inside the wide brim keeps the front of the brim from flopping around in the wind.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I own the Air Flow and have used it when traveling for which it is ideally suited. It looks good and works in cities and when you aren't going ot be exposed to intense sun for looong periods. BUt for backpacking it just fails to provide the sun protection and breatability which is required.

I have used for many years the Sunday afternoon hats. I own both the adventurer and the smaller brimmed sport hat. The adventure hat provides terrific sun protection but is frankly overkill. But the Sport hat is just a smaller demensioned version of the adventure. It is ideal and has been with me on every hike I have taken in the past three years. It is 3 oz, covers the neck completely, provides late afternoon low angle sun protection to the face and floats. They have added a new hat to their line called the Flied Hat for those who might prefer a conventionally styled hat with great shade.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

I've just purchased the LT5B and find it comfortable, but then I haven't tried the plain old LT5. You can always dip the brim in water if you are too hot.

Brian Strong

@bmstrong

Not the Legionnaire style caps. A good true UL Ballcap, Tilley style…

Nathan Hodges

@hodgey12

Daniel,

I have never tried the LT6. But, I think the LT6B breathes about as well as a hat can and still protect you from rain. This is my first broad brimed hat. On my last trip it got up around 80* in the humid southeast (near the AT) and the LT6B did as well as a ball cap would have done. I was sweating but who wouldn't have been? I guess you could find a better "sun" hat but I was looking for a go to Mr. Versatile hat that breathes well and protects from rain. I hate wearing a hood in the rain if I can help it. I'll check back in after my next trip where it will be even hotter I'm sure.

craig imboden

@jester

I love my Tilley Airflo hat. Being that I live and hike a lot in Arkansas our summers can be brutal. The Airlo really lets the heat escape all the while it keeps you cool and dry from the elements. Another great thing about the Tilley is that it will float on water, so if you are a canoeist I would strongly suggest it.

I won't go anywhere out in the woods without my Tilley!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

if you wear a 6 7/8 i have a tilley in like new condition

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

LTM6 if its hot I wrap the chin cord around my trekking pole basket and dip it in every stream and lake I pass when wet It really cools well when dry it can get quite warm.

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

I've had my LT3, I think it is, since around 1989 and it's seen a lot of hiking and river miles, in that time. I've tried to dye it dark brown, a couple of times,(they used to make a chocolate color) to hide the sweat stains, to no avail, but it's still in good working shape. I recently discovered that "Shout It Out Gel" gets the sweat stains out, ha ha, should have done that twenty years ago.

As far as keeping your head cool in the summer goes, well most all hats are going to be warm, but not as warm as the sun beating down on your head. I just get the inside wet, when it's real hot in the desert and that seems to work for me, even when I had a full head of hair. I tried on the Air Flo model and didn't like it, as well as everything, from a Seattle Sombrero to a Panama Jack and the only one I still have is my stinky old Tilly.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have worn a LTM6 almost exclusively for several years. It has worked great in all kinds of weather. I will admit that I have not tested in temperatures above 118F (47.78 C), so I cannot vouch for anything above that.

Steve Goldstein

@sgoldste01

Has anyone tried the Tilley TM10 during a hot hike? This style has a lot of mesh going up the crown, so ventilation should be excellent.

Dan Cherry

@risingsun

Locale: Northern Arizona

Been wearing my LT6B for a few years now – both backpacking and paddling/rafting. Closest thing to a perfect hat I've found so far. Easy to wash with the rest of the laundry and just let it air dry and it regains its shape perfectly. I think the sun has lightened the fabric color a bit (I have it in the taupe color) but I don't think thats a detriment.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

None of them, at least for hiking. I own the LTM3 & have found it to be unsuitable for hiking in the Southeastern USA in warm weather. It is far too hot during exertion in the heat & humidity. I find that the Outdoor Research "baseball style cap" to be much more comfortable for hiking. I use the Tilley for yard work or other low exertion activities where maximum sun protection is needed. The Tilley is also really good for activities on the water. I've only seen one other hiker on the AT using a Tilley & he had it tied to his pack also noting that it was "too hot to wear". I would suspect that in low humidity conditions, the Tilley would be comfortable. It seems that a lot of Western USA hikers wear them from what I can tell. The first time, & last time, that I wore it hiking was in the avatar photo which was May '08.

Kevin Butler

@butlerk5

I am thinking of getting a Tilley hat myself. I'm living in Ireland, so kinda has to suit all weather. It will be used on trips away as well. I was thinking either the T3 or the TH4 from what I've read. I haven't owned a hat like this before but Tilley hats have come highly recommended, any help is appreciated.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They always remind me of old fat guys playing golf. Grandpa's hat.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the LT3. I have a T5 in cotton too.

Get an Airflow model if you hike in hot climates. Tilley has a new breathable fabric too— now I want one :) http://www.tilley.com/LT5B-Breathable-Nylon-Hat.aspx

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Smaller brim than many people prefer, but it works perfectly for me. I think if your head is prone to overheating, Tilleys may not be a great choice (though the new all mesh one is no doubt more breathable than the airflo models). My mom tried one, but she said her floppy straw sun hats were cooler. As with all gear, ymmv.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools