Topic

GoLite Chrome Dome? or other umbrellas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite Chrome Dome? or other umbrellas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Thanks for your comments guys. Seems that you either love or hate the montbell. Is the Golite/Birdiepal significantly stronger?

Scott, have you actually used the Snow Peak? I'd be happy with the coverage of any of the three umbrellas (montbell, golite, snow peak), so I'm really after something that isn't too flimsy and will protect me from the sun. Not sure whether the non-silver versions will work as shade but thought I might give it a go to save some weight.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

OK, I found a great review of the different options for lightweight umbrellas.

It doesn't include the Birdiepal, but you can read about them in the BPL review. The Montbell and Golite umbrellas are both highly recommended. The reviewer wasn't too keen on the Snow Peak version but YMMV.

Based on this I think I'm going to go with the Montbell umbrella. I didn't realise that the Golite umbrella doesn't collapse in size, so is 24-25 inches long when closed. This limits its usability for me, as I want an umbrella I can easily toss into a day pack too.

Check out the review above if you want a good comparison and comments on what's on offer.

jim jessop

@luckyjim

The Senz mini umbrella is superb for windy, gusty conditions.

Not the lightest but the most likely to handle strong wind and not get turned inside out by a strong gust. The silver one is pretty reflective too, about the same as a golite.

http://www.senzumbrellas.com/en/senz-collection/

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Birdiepal is stellar and superior to the Golite and Montbell umbrellas in my opinion. I have all 3 brands.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2007_birdiepal_umbrellas_spotlite_review.html

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

I got the impression from your review though that the lightest "dainty" model was a bit flimsy and the montbell umbrella would be better. Otherwise it's going to be more like 8oz for the lightflex swing right?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Jim, Thanks for the headsup on SENZ umbrella. Very cool.

Here is the link for buying in US.
    http://www.totes-isotoner.com/product/rain+products/senz+umbrellas/senz+umbrellas/senz+mini+umbrella.do?sortby=ourPicks

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

That senz is cool, but rain at 40 mph is sideways and you don't need an umbrella anymore ; ).

John Carter

@jcarter1

Now that this thread is active again, I realized I forgot to post instructions and photos of my Chrome Dome & Komperdell C2 trekking pole combo.

Before you remove the main umbrella pole, measure the distance from the underside of the canopy to where the rods attach to the main pole. You will need this length in a later step.

Next, remove the pole from the Chrome Dome. There is a metal wire that needs to be unwound and removed under the canopy, and a metal bar that has to be removed from the tip. These are easy to do, require no special tools, and do no damage to the umbrella canopy. The one thing you have to do is saw of the end of the umbrella clip (the part you push in to retract the umbrella). This lets you add a clamp from a Black Diamond FlickLock trekking pole. This clamp is what keeps the umbrella canopy open and attached to the trekking pole. I had a spare BD pole that I removed the clamps from, but you can purchase these as individual accessories from BD's website. You want the larger clamp.

Here is a photo of the center pole removed, with a view of the clip top sawed off, and the large BD pole clip ready to add:

Umb 00

And here is a photo with the BD pole clip attached:

UMB 01

Next, you need to wrap a few centimeters of 3/4-inch wide electrical tape around the trekking pole in two places. This is because the trekking pole has a narrower diameter than the umbrella pole. It also adds a tacky grip. The first place is at the tip of the pole, just under the trekking basket. This keeps water out and keeps the top in place. The second electrical tape ring should be lower down on the pole at the same distance you measured earlier, where the rods attach to the original pole. You will have to experiment with how much tape to add; too little and you don't get a grippy seal; too much and the pole won't fit through. A few centimeters makes a big difference, so it will take a few tries. Here is a photo of where I placed both 'rings' of electrical tape:

Umb 02

From here, you separate the trekking pole, insert the longer end through the TOP of the umbrella, and reattach the lower end. You can now push the umbrella open and use the BD clip to keep it open. Be sure to tighten the BD clip over the electrical tape area; this keeps the clip in place, and locks the umbrella onto the pole, thus preventing the umbrella from twisting. If you added just the right amount of electrical tape, there will be an excellent grip; I can twist the umbrella back and forth quickly on the axis and it doesn't budge. Here is a photo of the completed, open umbrella:

Umb 03

Here is a different angle, showing the tip coming out the top:

Umb 04

The great thing about using the Komperdell C2 pole, aside from being the lightest 2-section CF pole, is that the lower shaft is long enough that you can completely close the umbrella onto the pole. You can't do this with a three-section pole:

Umb 05

Lastly, here is a photo of the umbrella and pole separated:

Umb 06

I usually keep the umbrella portion in my backpack, and put it on when I need it. This is easy and quick. What's nice about this setup is that if there are on-and-off showers, or it is raining but I have to go through a patch of dense brush, I can close the umbrella onto the pole and hike with it attached for a few minutes. This would get old after a while since it begins to feel quite heavy in trekking pole mode, but it means I'm not constantly putting the umbrella back into and out of my pack. It also means I never have to store a trekking pole in my backpack when using an umbrella. And if I extend the pole a bit, I can hold the pole near my waist, which is much less tiring than holding a short umbrella pole up near my shoulder. Oh, and fully extended, I can sit under it, holding it under my armpit, and have great shade. I really love this setup!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

John, Thank you so much for putting this detailed description together. Lately the more I hike in light rain I keep thinking there is something to this umbrella thing. Your project looks great and you make me think I might be able to pull this off myself.

Thanks!
    Jamie

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Very cool John. How much does the umbrella weigh after removing the shaft?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

"Get a birdiepal instead or even Golite over Montbell."

and they can be found at Golf stores, hence the name "birdie"pal and they are also made in silver.

i snagged a birdiepal Dainty for $14 shipped. check google for sales.
    the coverage is barely enough for my head and the Conduit. i think its 33" dia.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

>That senz is cool, but rain at 40 mph is sideways and you don't need an umbrella anymore ; ).

True. I am basically looking at umbrella for sun. When it is windy/rainy it easier to stay cool by ventilation, exposing your arms or just getting wet. But I would still like something that works in moderate wind so I dont have to use hood in rain.

Here is comparison:
    Birdiepal Dainty- Silver Metallic Coating
    5.2 oz
    6.0-19.5 inch length
    33.6 inch span
    $28.50
    Folding

Birdiepal Swing Liteflex- Silver Metallic Coating
    8.0 oz
    24.9 inch length
    38.5 inch span
    $38.50
    Non Folding

SENZ Mini – Silver
    9.1oz
    11 inches length
    Span (Front-to-Back): 36 inches
    Span (Side-to-Side): 33-1/2 inches
    $50
    Folding

Birdiepal Light Trek- Silver Metallic Coating
    9.1 oz
    10.7-22.9 inch length
    38.0 inch span
    $41.50
    Folding

Golite Chrome Dome
    10.0 oz*
    25.3 inch length
    36.1 inch span
    $30.00
    Non folding

If senz mini is as good as it claims to be, then it looks like a winner. Because of the price, right now I am just going to add it to my wishlist.

John Carter

@jcarter1

The umbrella weight after removing the pole is 5.8 oz. However, the Black Diamond clamp adds 0.6 oz, so final trail weight is 6.4 oz.

Someone posted that GoLite has gotten the weight down to 8oz. My Chrome Dome started out at 10.2 oz, so it's possible you may get a slightly lighter final weight with a newer Chrome Dome.

FYI, I may be incorrect on the size of the BD clamp; I don't remember if I used the larger or smaller clamp. But I'm pretty sure you buy both at the same time when you order spares from BD, so it doesn't really matter for purchasing purposes.

James Gealy

@surnailz

Locale: White Mountains

Has anyone used one of these before? I am interested in the wind worthiness, as well as the tail in the back to give my pack better coverage. I'm wondering if the extra 2oz is worth it over the chrome dome or birdepal. I guess if comparing apples to apples, the dainty may be more in line for measuring weight wise.

-jim

John McMillin

@wheatridger

It's funny how quickly you stop worrying about the weight of an umbrella as soon as you start walking. The slightest breeze will lift my Chrome Dome out of my hand. You learn to tilt the umbrella at the precise angle that neutralizes its weight. One could fret about the issue of wind resistance, but that's a trivial factor. Once the winds get strong, your 'brella will be either packed or gone.

The other pleasant surprise about my Chrome Dome was its depth. It's relatively deep, shaped like a slightly flattened hemisphere. I like it sit down and point it over my shoulder at the weather. My whole body's protected from behind, but my entire field of vision is unobstructed. It's like sitting inside a bell, or like nothing else at all.

I snagged mine at a GL factory sale for half price. It's probably the best $10 I ever spent.

Peter Gurin

@intheswim

jcarter1,
    Do you think i could do your do your pole-umbrella creation using a GG light trek 4 instead of the komperdell pole?

Peter Gurin

@intheswim

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/spare_parts_mountain.php#trailcompact

above is the link for the flick locks, but which size?

William Zollinger

@tazer

Locale: Alaska

I ordered a new Golite Chrome Dome umbrella excited for the trekking pole/umbrella modification.

FYI: It’s important to anyone wanting to try this modification to know that the new Chrome Dome umbrella is different and will not work.

The older umbrella had a larger diameter center pole and plastic handle. The new Chrome Dome has a thin center pole with foam handle and foam nub on the top. The new umbrella design will not accommodate the trekking pole through the center. Sad to say I contacted Golite and the old offering is no longer available. I contacted at least 25 local Golite retailers around the country hoping to find an older chrome dome sitting in the corner with no success.
    So… if there is someone out there that wants to part with an old Chrome Dome umbrella, please let me know… I would be happy to pay current retail price and USPS shipping to my location. Thanks in advance.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

STP has them on clearance, for those who love the quality of the BirdiePal line, (like Doug Johnson does) you can snag one while they last for $15

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2007_birdiepal_umbrellas_spotlite_review.html

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,83143_Birdiepal-Light-Basic-Trekking-Umbrella.html

i have used the "Dainty" several times and found it suitable in terms of what it was designed to do, and was happy enough with it to upgrade to the larger, more robust Light Trek.

Tim Hohs

@timmytoogood

I used to contract with the Forest Service doing stand exams, timber sales, and timber inventories. You had to take a lot of notes, which was a pain in the rain, even with waterproof notepads. A lot of people used umbrellas. They could be used hands-free. I saw different techniques like the handles shoved down your back and secured under the armpits with a strap, or the note pad attached to the umbrella handle. Used umbrellas from 2nd hand stores are cheap and they're light. If the wind wrecks them put up your parka hood or wear a trash bag over your head.

Aaron Hushagen

@hoosch

Locale: Midwest

I've been searching for the GoLite Chrome Dome umbrella, but every single site I visit says they're sold out and they don't know when they'll get more. Is this model not made anymore? I guess I'll have to contact the manufacturer, but wanted to see if anyone knew where a person could still purchase this model umbrella. Thanks.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Get this in silver:
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90601

It's the same thing, except it comes with a cover.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

I'm seeing in stock at golite.com $25.
    http://www.golite.com/Chrome-Dome-Trekking-Umbrella-P928.aspx

Aaron Hushagen

@hoosch

Locale: Midwest

Thanks. I swore I saw it as out of stock even on GoLite's site when I first checked, but I was in the middle of researching multiple pieces of gear at the time. Perhaps I just messed up.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Why is having the Golite brand name so important when you can still get the same umbrella?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools