Topic

A delicate issue …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

+3 on the tmi : O

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Above, Benjamin Tang said –

The way to clean your bottom is with water! Do your business, cup your hand, and wash your bottom. After that, just sanitize your hands with Purell and you're done. With just a few practice, it becomes a no brainer and does not use up much water at all.

From a March 21, 2006 article in the New York Times –

"Since 2002, officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have recommended that health care workers routinely use high quality alcohol-based gels instead of soap and water on their hands when moving from patient to patient — as long the worker's hands aren't visibly soiled.

“Alcohol doesn't cut through grime well, so dirt, blood, [crap] or other body fluids or soil must be wiped or washed away first, if the alcohol in the sanitizer is to be effective. In such cases, hand washing with soap and water is advised.

“How much goop should you use? Vigorously rub all sides of your hands with enough gel or foam to get them wet, and rub them together until they are dry. If your hands are dry within 10 or 15 seconds, according to the C.D.C. guidelines for health care workers, you haven't used enough.”

Also noted was the fact that there are sanitizers out there that are less the 60% alcohol –

"I used to work in a virology lab," Dr. Aiello said, "and we knew — it has been known for decades — that an alcohol concentration under 60 percent won't kill the microbes. It's really frightening to think that there are products out there that contain levels lower than that."

So, just in case a critical point was missed –
    Wash with soap and water. Rinse. Then use a good sanitizer.

(f.e.c.e.s was unacceptable, hence [crap])

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Re: "…wipe to clean in the morning, then apply the PJ to known chaffing areas." (Posted on 5-15-08) What is "PJ," Peanut butter and Jam?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

petroleum jelly?

John Negley

@hikemonkey

I used to work in an outdoors store and as I have found there are a variety of ways to treat this issue and everyone will have a different way that works for them. It is a painful trial by error process of finding the right one for you. There are many great ideas above. Here is what I have learned through years of hiking, cycling and trying to solve peoples problems.

First you have to identify the type of issue you are having. Chafing is from rubbing. Sores are from bacteria.
    Chaffing usually looks more like a rash, I think we have all been there at some point. Sores can be anything from a pimple like thing to a single or series of small red inflamed spots. Usually sores develop from sweat and bacteria sitting, many times some sort of pressure on the area, and the bacteria is forced or seeps into the pore on the skin.

Once you know what, you can treat accordingly.

Here are some ideas:
    1. synthetic undies – think base layer for the bottom. I like helly hansens, they make boxer brief and brief style. Wick that moisture away.
    Some use a long spandex bottom, like a bike short, but do not use bike shorts (Good for between the legs chafing).
    2. commando – not for me, but works for some
    3. breathable shorts – got to get air in there. cotton bad.
    4. cream – there are many products out there. Since I cycle too I like Assos. http://www.assos.com/en/accessories/detail.aspx?article=55&color=
    Anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and decreases friction. It is by far the most popular with cyclists and let me tell you, they know a thing or 2 about chafing down in that region.
    5. Pack towel – some people sweat a lot on their back, it then runs down and creates problems. Placing a small pack towel in the small of your back can help control this.
    6. Clean – carry a couple of baby wipes with you. Clean before and after each hike and after doing a #2. Hand sanitizer works too.

Tim Olvey

@tolvey

I second the longesh lycra running or biking type shorts. Anything loose gets bunched and I'll chafe but I have sprinter legs not the skinning mountain goat versions.

Eric Ragle

@eragle

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

Commando and Gold Bond. Gold Bond is indeed like powdered magic. I've even used it as sun block for my head.

Joseph Porrello

@jap361971

Locale: Coconut Grove

Your problem is not due to bacteria or hygine. You are simply wearing the wrong underware. Cotton is good for lounging in an air conditioned room – not much else. Get yourself a pair of Ex Officio boxer briefs (not boxers, as they allow for too much play). They are not cheap at $25 a pair. But I bet they solve your problem. And I bet you'll never wear cotton again.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Thus far, Gold Bond or a knock-off is the only thing that has worked for me.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I always wear REI mesh briefs. They allow plenty of air in. There is also a boxer-brief version. I've not had a problem. Here's the link.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=mesh+briefs

Frank Christeson

@gryphonsda

I found something that I put in the pouch/pocket of my briefs that helps when I'm working outdoors and when I'm working the grill at work. It's a pouch with powder in it that I can stick in my briefs and helps with the chafing. My girlfriend uses it in her bra for sweating also. Something called Hüppo

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Big fan of talcum/baby powder with a boxer brief chaser… and always bring a few baby wipes.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

For cycling I learned about Gold Bond Powder years ago and am generally quite happy with it- for fairly dry conditions. It's talc based instead of cornstarch and seems to do a much better job of reducing friction. Unfortunately there's a point beyond which the powder can't handle the moisture and it seems to become a sticky paste holding moisture against your skin.

On a three week bicycle tour through rainy Ireland I got a rash that worsened day by day. Went to a chemist and had a very embarrasing discussion with the lady behind the counter. After explaining the type and location of the problem she concludes in a loud voice "Why you have nappy rash". Turns out zinc oxide cream cleared it up quickly.

At a presentation on care and treatment of road rash the doctor (Flash Gordon MD) said use zinc oxide cream for any and all abrasions. I stuck that in the back of my mind until the kids came along and we suddenly had to deal with an occasional diaper rash. Bought some zinc-based Desitin and started using the stuff for all the assorted boo-boos and it really does work. A side benefit is that diaper cream costs less for a 4 ounce tube than first aid cream in a 1 ounce tube. Desitin seems to be very effective and low friction but smells like fish. Some of the other zinc oxide creams are rather sticky and might not be as good at reducing friction.

For underwear I have recently settled on "C9 by Champion Duo-Dry Antimicrobial Seamless Boxer Briefs" for $6 from Target. They are probably the same thing that was mentioned by a previous poster as Duofold brand. You have to pick through the hang tags because apparently there are several different versions of the Duo-Dry fabric- some antimicrobial and some not.

If I wasn't so cheap I'd order some "Ibex Balance Boxers" merino wool underwear.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I'd have to second the suggestion for the Ex Officio boxer briefs (I believe they are called "Give-N-Go"). I start the day with a bit of body glide on the inner thigh. If chaffing occurs (which is doesn't if I wear the Ex Officio's) then I use gold bond medicated powder. Not only does it have a drying agent (talc, etc) but it also contains the topical anesthetics (counter-irritants really) camphor and menthol which nicely relieve that burning sensation.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools