Topic

A delicate issue …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Paul Foreman

@fish3006

… for men only.

What do you guys do to prevent or minimize chafing of your underneath parts?

I'm new to this hobby, but already can see issues with walking a long ways without being properly, er, dressed or otherwise prepared. I've had this issue infrequently all my active life but it never occurred to me until now that I might be able to do something about it (duh).

This past Saturday on a warm humid day (what else kind is there in an Alabama river bottom?), I got painfully, er, chapped, just working around the fish shack, doing some light carpentry, painting and car washing. I figured I walked miles just doing stuff. Anyhow, by mid-afternoon I was in bad shape.
    Now, I typically wear cotton briefs. Boxers just drive me crazy. Everything in its place, you know?
    But the seams from the briefs and pants conspired to do some really painful damage because I just wouldn't stop.
    My bride kindly suggested lip-type balme might help. Boy, did it, but I was still in pretty rough shape through mid-morning Sunday.
    Repeated applications of balm (you do NOT want it to get mixed up with your regular lip balm) helped hugely.
    So anyhow, I need recommendations for underwear. Badly, if I'm going to keep the walking/hiking up during high summer.
    Bike pants? Seamless non-cotton briefs? Hhhheeellllppppp!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I feel your pain (discomfort?).

I picked up some Sportslick from the BPL store and it has helped tremendously.

I've tried boxers, boxer-briefs, running shorts, but none of them can top the Sportslick. I've even started putting it on in the mornings when I know I'm going to do a lot of walking and it lasts all day.

Adam

Dave T

@davet

Paul Foreman

@fish3006

My chafing is mostly of the lower twixt-the-cheeks type, as someone wrote, and a little under the sack type. I think I am now well armed with advice …
    Thanks.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have encountered this during multi-week walks.
    In general, I believe the chaffing is due to internal bacteria upsetting the external surface of your skin.
    This suggests that washing carefully might help, and that proves to be the case every time for me.

A bit like nappy rash in fact.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Paul,
    Sportslick is definitely the way to go. I had the same problem you describe, and Sportslick brought it to a halt immediately. Another complimentary measure is synthetic boxer shorts. Boxer style for airflow, and synthetic for moisture transport away from the nether world. I know you don't like them, but if Sportslick alone doesn't do the trick, you might give them a try. Good luck, that kind of chafing is one of life's more miserable afflictions.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Another suggestion if Sportslick does not work. I wear tight fitting lycra boxers with longish legs, not loose and airy ones. They cling and all rubbing happens between fabric, not fabric and skin (my problem is between my thighs). They can be hot, but this does not seem to cause a problem.

I used to buy the Duofold seamless version version from Campmor, but I don't see it on their web site any more.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Since bacteria were mentioned up above, I suppose now is as good a time as any to remind folks who don't know any better because it's something that they have been doing all their lives: wiping with toilet paper after doing your business does not thoroughly clean your bottom — never has, and never will! And if you think using tissues is somehow more sanitary for your hands — that's just total fallacy. It's why mom keeps telling you to always wash your hands afterwards!

The way to clean your bottom is with water! Do your business, cup your hand, and wash your bottom. After that, just sanitize your hands with Purell and you're done. With just a few practice, it becomes a no brainer and does not use up much water at all.

Sanitary. No more agonizing about packing in / packing out TP! And a clean bottom may just help reduce your "chapping".

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

As Benjamin said, washing well has helped me on long trips (the only time I've had issues) as a preventative measure.
    Zinc oxide has worked well as a remedy if chafing/rash has already started.
    I've found I've had greater issues when wearing spandex briefs as opposed to softer/better wicking fabrics.

Paul Foreman

@fish3006

moist wipes are the ticket. We use them at the fish shack because we're on a small septic tank. They have been a huge blessing for everyday non-hiking "events."
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Hey Benjamin, reckon there are bidet stops on the AT? (grin)

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

The key is keeping you naughty bits clean. Use baby wipes and then allow time to completely dry. Where loose fitting shorts and a comfy pair of Patagonia Silkweight boxers or something similar. If you don't like briefs the Patagonia Long Haul Runner shorts have good liners and seem to be chafe free for me.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Baby wipes will work — especially if you've already got a "flare up". But day-to-day, baby wipes are also just more things to buy, carry and dispose — when water works perfectly well.

David Erekson

@finallyme

Locale: Utah desert

This had been (and still is, if not thought of in advance and preventative measures taken) an issue for me, especially when I lived in San Antonio with the hot+ very humid weather. A friend of mine suggested petroleum jelly. It keeps the water away from your skin, and keeps your skin moist with no friction. I should add that PJ is for men only in those regions. It is oil based, and I am sure women know why they shouldn't use it. If out camping, I will use a wet towel or baby wipe to clean in the morning, then apply the PJ to known chaffing areas. It usually lasts all day through some heavy sweating work-outside days. When utilizing the bathroom, I use baby-wipes to clean, and then apply a little PJ after. Before PJ, if I went impromptu swimming and didn't shower with soap afterwards, I would get a bad rash very quickly. I guess the water dried out my skin and then the friction caused the rash. PJ solved this problem exceptionally well. Now, I never go to the woods without baby wipes and PJ, in small containers ofcourse.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

In my case it is clear that bacteria is not the main issue. I can take a thorough shower, put on perfectly clean clothes, and if I start hiking or biking and it is warm out I immediately get chafing and rawness on my inner thighs. If I wear lycra underwear that clings to my legs and causes the rubbing to be between fabric and fabric I have no problems. Often I also use Sportslick.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I gave up wearing synthetic underwear and now wear cotton nearly "granny panties" when hiking. I'd have my skin cut open where my leg hits the crotch area! Ow! Everything breathes way better as well.

And guys….not to be er, gross….but you know yeast infections that your wives can get? Men can carry them as well. Put that into a pair ol' sweaty underroos….and ugh! Add in that many guys have athletes foot that can easily be transfered to the groin. Cotton underwear for sleeping in! Let the boys breathe! lol….

David Wills

@willspower3

I have found that cornstarch works well. when I get chaffage, the stuff dries out the sticky sweat and provides low friction protection and a cooling, healing effect IIRC. I had to reapply every few hours or as necessary. I haven't used it since last summer, but i still carry it every trip. I also like to go commando and wear very breathable, loose gym shorts until it gets to cold to wear them comfortably to increase breathability and evaporation and prevent the chaff.

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

Second the commando method!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

On a trip lasting more than a few days, i sleep 'bottomless'. Let the air in at night:)

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I've never had this problem. I've got chicken legs, so there is minimum rubbing. For the "soft bits" if there is any undersid chafing, I've used easy glide before, but I've been hiking for about 8 years (backpacking for 6) and I bet I can count the number of times that I've had this problem on one hand.

G Dup

@lococoyo

I used to get this doing longish, multi-hour runs. I now use tight Under Armour boxer briefs. When hiking, I use 90% polyester, 10% spandex mesh-like boxer briefs that aren't as tight. They dry out insanely fast (which does wonders), feel dry, comfy, keep everything snug and stop the flop. I haven't found the need to use any 'glide' type chemicals though thats probably just a function of climate/season and skin type.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have always had succes with Dr.Sholls {spelling] footpowder. Foot and croch. It keeps your feet and growing area very dry- and your armpits. Goodluck

A B

@sheilabaynes

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I take a medium bottle of hand sanitizer on week long to 10 day trips. Of course I use it after toilet and before cooking. At night I use it on my crotch area and to massage my stinky feet. Works wonders on tired feet and I've never had any crotch chafing W/ nightly hand sanitizer treatment and wearing Duofold Coolmax briefs I always use when backpacking or day hiking.

Eric
    P.S. Afer re-reading Ben's admonition to wash after going #2 I must add that I always put hand sanitizer on my toilet paper for a final cleanup. Then I know I'm truly clean. At home I use a little Clorox with water in a water bottle to moisten my TP for the same reason.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Eric, too much information my son

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Speaking of information… don't coat your TP with hand sanitizer if you got bad hemorrhoids. :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools