Topic

Re-gluing Adjustable Goat Pole Grips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Re-gluing Adjustable Goat Pole Grips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

I contacted Titanium Goat about this a week ago but never heard back. Time to give the community a go.

My Adjustable Goat Pole grips have become loose, sliding down the pole after 10-15 minutes of hiking. I'd like to re-glue them for the summer, but I'm not sure what kind of glue would work best.

Has anyone done this? What glue did you use? Has it held better than the stock grips?

Thanks in advance.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Walmart (etc) usually sells a special type of tape for "re-gripping" golf clubs. It's very strong and works on aluminum or graphite shafts with neoprene or leather grips.

Basically, you take off the old grip, run 1 or 2 strips of tape down the length of the pole (depending on the width of the tape), "activate" the tape by pouring solvent (paint thinner) on it, "lubricate" the grip by pouring solvent in it and then dumping the excess out, work the grip back onto the pole, twist the grip until it's straight and then let the glue dry overnight. It will now stand up to 90 mph swings until the grip wears out.

ps: To take off the old grip, injecting some solvent inside will help loosen it up (by reactivating the tape's glue) so that you'll be able to pull it off in a couple of minutes. This may or may not work with the Goat poles, depending on how they originally attached the grips, but solvent won't hurt neoprene grips so you may as well try it.

pps: Running a smooth length of tape down the pole holds the grip on tighter than spiraling the tape onto the pole.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have used Gorilla glue with great success on my homemade poles.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Having had experience with this, I can definitively say DON'T use SuperGlue. The glue set before they were in the right location and I ended up hiking over 200 miles with the grips like that. When I got back from the hike I sent them to TiGoat who put everything right.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I too, would like some official info from TG. My grips haven't yet come loose, but I would like to re-orient them so the wider part of the grip is towards the tip of the pole. This means I would need to remove and re-glue the current grips. Would be nice to know the correct solvents and adhesives to use.

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Titanium Goat got back to me a few days ago.

"Your poles were some of the first that we produced. A couple of folks had issues with the grips slipping, even though we were using the 'recommended glue' for the grips.

We have since switched over to using epoxy to fasten the grips. Can you completely remove the grips? If so, use a high grade (we like Duro brand) slow set metal epoxy. The slow set will give you plenty of time to put the grips on without fighting cure time.

Heat the grips up with something like a hair dryer so that they're nice and flexible. Mix enough epoxy to cover about 1/2 of the upper area of the shaft where the grip goes. Press them on using a slight twisting motion until the end of the grip is approx. 1/6" -1/8" from the end of the shaft… so that the shaft is slightly recessed in the grip. Let them set about 10-15 minutes and check that positioning hasn't changed.

If you can't get the grips all the way off w/o destroying them let me know and we'll send you a new pair of grips. If it all sound like too much trouble to go through, send them back and we'll put new grips on for you."

They also said they wouldn't recommend the golf grip tape.

I'd like to add that these poles are awesome, and I really did have one of the first few pairs of poles. I wouldn't let my issue affect anyone's decision to buy AGPs. Do it; you'll love them!

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

I was unable to find a slow-set metal epoxy here in the bustling metropolis of Wasilla, so I went with what was available at the Home Depot: Loctite Metal Epoxy.

After quickly mixing the epoxy, I applied a thin layer to the upper 2.5" of the poles. I then worked the grips onto the poles with a rotating motion, leaving the small, recommended recess at the top. After I was happy with the position, I wiped away the extra epoxy and let them set overnight.

They look great (the epoxy is black when it dries, so it blends perfectly with the grips and shaft), and those handles aren't going anywhere.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Miles,

When you 'palm' the poles, can you feet the shaft or do the grips extend beyond the shaft enough to prevent this?

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Casey… The grips extend slightly above the shafts and are not felt. I even have the lightweight straps attached and the screws that holds the straps on are even below the very top of the grips.

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

The poles are recessed about 1/8" inside the grip, which leaves space for a small, plastic plug that keeps in an extra rubber gripper and out water and dirt. They're totally comfortable, no CF on skin action whatsoever.

Luis Ramos

@luisramos

Locale: Maryland

I bought a pair of the poles and asked that the grips not glued on because I don't care for them. I'd like to replace them with something a bit more form fitting to the hand. Anyone know where I can get a pair of grips similar to those on Gossamer Gear's lightreks or BPL's Stix?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools