Topic

Looking for hikes in Montana and Washington

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for hikes in Montana and Washington

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eric Douglas

@1ekdouglas

Locale: Brooklyn

Dear fellow hikers:

I’m going to be attending my sister’s wedding in Missoula, Montana in early July (I have thanked her many times for moving to such a great place for me to visit when I need to take a break from Brooklyn). I plan to linger for a while to take advantage of the spectacular hiking in the area. In fact I’m thinking of lingering for a couple of weeks, as I don’t need to return to Brooklyn until mid August. Also, I’ll be renting a car, so I can drive to…wherever. I’ve done some hiking in the Missoula area, but have not explored much or the region. As well, I’ve never seen the Pacific Northwest.

I’m looking for a places I can park my car and take long day trips or 2-4 day packing trips. In my present state (lack of) conditioning I’m probably good for 8-15 miles a day.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. As well, if you think I should include any more specific information in my query, please let me know.

Regards,

Eric Douglas

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey Eric,

It's going to be an interesting hiking season here in Washington. We've had record snows and it even added a few inches last weekend. This means that early July will still have lots of snow in the mountains.

This might be a good year to plan some lowland backpacks in Olympic NP. Take a look at the Hoh Rain Forest or Enchanted Valley for some great rainforest walking. Incredible. Or get out to the coast for a spectacular wilderness backpack. The Ozette loop trail is amazing, although popular. You can go further south and leave the people behind- or north as well. Get your permit early for this one!

Here's a great secret hike that few know about. Goldmyer Hot Springs is up the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River. Nice trail up to the hot springs with beautiful camping and an extremely unique soak. Permits required here.

If you have a road bike with you and you don't mind the snow, ride past the gate about 8 miles to the trailhead of Williams Lake. Then hike above the lake to the stunning subalpine environment of the La Bohn Lakes. That is my favorite place in the world, but it's sure to have snow and it's definitely off trail. Williams is lower and also beautiful- you could always day trip through the snow if you wanted…

Feel free to PM me with specific questions!
    ddd
    La Bohn Lakes

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Erik,
    There's a great day hike/backpack option from the Holland Lake trailhead about 90 minutes from Missoula. From Milltown (just east of Missoula), follow Route 200 east to a well-marked junction with Route 83 and drive north for about 35 miles. There's a big sign at the Holland Lake turnoff (marked as Holland Lake Recreation Area), on the east side of the road. Take the trail to Upper Holland Lake (about six miles), then look for the trrail to Sapphire Lake, a great camping spot. Or you can head into the Bob Marshall Wilderness just above Sapphire and follow the trail down to one of the Necklace Lakes. Would be a great 3 or 4 day trip with many loop and day trip options.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools