Topic

sub-2 pounds 4 season tent: hacking Nemo Morpho

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear sub-2 pounds 4 season tent: hacking Nemo Morpho

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

>You don't get much protection from flying spindrift.

Is it because there is a gap between the groundsheet and fly? If so, can the problem be solved by having taller goundsheet walls?

If not, then I will have to use extra fabric which can be zipped from inside -over the netting- to the fly. This will also work with bottom ends.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

I realised that by adding just two extra sections I can get much more space.tent

The foot print is just 105in and the distance between the two poles is only 45in. If one backpack is placed at each end I get 75-80in of place to sleep.

I can make place for vestibule but that may upset the design. Besides I will be using waterproof backpack and I dont like the idea of sitting in the vestibule with insects walkng over me.

Nicholas Sweeting

@mad_musher

From my understanding this proposed tent will be constructed from silnylon and a bit of WPB farbic at the doors? I'd put some real thought into how you're actually going to manage this tent in the 4th season. Specifically in regards to ventilation.

I dont know what kind of temperatures or conditions you consider the 4th season to be – but personally, the thought of a single layer silnylon tent during the winter kind of scares me. Having the option to cook inside is what I consider to be a must-have for winter tents. I could easily envision a single layer silnylon tent causing the beginnings of suffocation. Even in a full WPB single layer tent – cooking inside one of these you can begin to notice a lack of oxygen. Also, if you are cooking inside the tent, it can actually get quite warm, and as a result, anything damp will end up soaking the walls. It could get incredibly wet and drippy inside this tent.

Also, I wouldnt trust that rebreather thing in cold temperatures at all. Once again… I dont know what you consider cold, but I could see this device clogging up with ice really easily.

Just some thoughts.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Nicholas, thanks for the comments.

>I could easily envision a single layer silnylon tent causing the beginnings of suffocation. Even in a full WPB single layer tent – cooking inside one of these you can begin to notice a lack of oxygen.

Are you saying that double layer tent helps in preventing suffocation. I never considered that. Can you explain me how double wall tents will help in preventing suffocation?

>as a result, anything damp will end up soaking the walls.

In 4 season I will be wearing full VBL, carring WP backpack and shoes will go into trash bag. I cant think of anything that may be damp. I can wipe of any misture on my gear with my microfiber towel.

>I could see this device clogging up with ice really easily.
    May be yes. I realise the limitaion of a rebreather: doesnt warm the air and doesnt moisturise the inhaled air. The current form of the device I am working on is completely different from rebreather and I hope to address these limitations.

Nicholas Sweeting

@mad_musher

Are you saying that double layer tent helps in preventing suffocation. I never considered that. Can you explain me how double wall tents will help in preventing suffocation?

– No, but double wall tents allow for better air circulation in that you can have 2 wind blocking layers. One allows any water vapour to pass through though. That way you can have air flow without really feeling any draft. In a single layer tent you wouldn't be able to 'lock down the hatches' in a heavy storm without completely suffocating yourself. You would HAVE TO have some form of ventilation, which then means a draft directly inside the tent, meaning much heat loss.

If you look at tents like the Hillebergs for example. The moisture passes through the inner tent, which is then picked up by any wind passing through the vents. You still have the inner tent maintaining its heat at some level.

Cooking inside a tent releases a huge amount of moisture as well. I've tried to work around this with things like chimneys over the pot, but have found in real world (and real cold) situations… these fancy things dont work. Your single wall silnylon tent walls would be covered in ice if you were even try to cook in the tent.

Hope that came out OK…

I'd love to see if this concept that can actually work though. Be sure to post pics if you do end up feeling comfortable with it.

Also wondering if you've in fact tried a full VBL. It aint pleasant in a winter environment by any means. There is a reason why like 90% of Arctic trips wear undergarments by a company named Brynje.

Just wondering if you can perhaps clarify what you mean by your 4th season by the way. Th 4th season can mean different things to a lot of people.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Nicholas, that came out great.

>In a single layer tent you wouldn't be able to 'lock down the hatches' in a heavy storm without completely suffocating yourself. You would HAVE TO have some form of ventilation, which then means a draft directly inside the tent, meaning much heat loss.

I was a worried about this too when I said in a previous post < I will have to use extra fabric which can be zipped from inside -over the netting- to the fly.> I think there is one other way of doing it in single wall tents. The idea is to use 1.1oz ripstop instead of Noseeum netting for the sidewalls between the groundsheet and the roof.

The idea here is ventilation and not prevention of condensation.

>Cooking inside a tent releases a huge amount of moisture as well. I've tried to work around this with things like chimneys over the pot, but have found in real world (and real cold) situations… these fancy things dont work. Your single wall silnylon tent walls would be covered in ice if you were even try to cook in the tent.

I have taken your advice and have added a vestibule.
    tent

The distance beween front end and rear pole is 80in and the footprint has increased to 110in. But distance between two pole has also increased to 50in. If I keep it to 45in the angle of the side/door decreases which means reduced snow loading ability. I know I will have to experiments with different angles and lengths to come up with the best design. I wish I had CAD or something what you see in films. You add snow, wind on the computer model and can tweak other conditions to find out what would happen in real world.

With 50 in of fabric between two poles, internal guyline will play a crucial role.

>Also wondering if you've in fact tried a full VBL.
    No I have not.

>Just wondering if you can perhaps clarify what you mean by your 4th season by the way

By 4th season I mean somthing that will work on 7 summit attemps and 8000er although they are not going to happen anytime soon. But I will be usung this tent on Everest base camp trek and Annapurna circuit.

Nicholas, thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

I am postponing this project for an indefinite time.

I know this news will dissapoint those who have commented and followed this thread. I will try to explain my reason best as I can.

What is the purpose of this tent? I asked myself. To protect me from elements consisting of rain, snow, wind, and insects.
    Is it possible to do away with the tent while still survive these elements? May be… yes.

Here SUL takes over comfort and privacy of a tent.

summer setup:
    >polybag air pad
    >nanoseeum bivanorak

monsoon/wind setup:
    >polybag air pad
    >WPB(propore) hoody/pant
    >hood cinched and face mask to assist in breathing
    OR
    Using backpack frame to lift the hood to keep elements of my face and provide space to breath. I am still thinking how to best go about it.
    >nanoseeum bivanorak

winter setup:
    >polybag down air pad
    >VB hoody/pant
    >hood cinched and mask to assist in breathing
    >WP Insulated jacket/pant
    >nanoseeum bivanorak

sounds crazy? well, I have to try it to find out if it will work for me. Thats why I am postoning the project and not scrapping it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Sorry Huzefa – I was away.

> >You don't get much protection from flying spindrift.
    > Is it because there is a gap between the groundsheet and fly? If so, can the problem be solved by having taller goundsheet walls?
    The spindrift flies under the edge of the fly. You could block this by having the edge of the fly on the ground, but then you lose a loot of ventilation and get condensation.
    Taller groundsheet walls will NOT stop it.

Cheers

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Moved to V-Pole helter

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools