Topic

Affluenza: Fact-Heavy Book Carries a Lightweight Message

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Affluenza: Fact-Heavy Book Carries a Lightweight Message

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

My cure is to buy a bigger house. Then when I move my old house "full" of stuff into my new very much bigger house I have so much extra room I have to buy more stuff to try and fill it up.

It is so much fun.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Then feel free to send that money to me. I'll buy my dream house in Moab and retire at 35 ;-) The ravens told me I should….just need the money. lol…

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

My work gives out free shots to prevent influenza, but I never realized how important they were! Ironic then that I go there to make money to buy the stuff I need… ohhhhh, wait… AFfluenza… now I get it!

Seriously, should this debate really be about whether folks want more, more, more…??? Or would a more meaningful debate be about the non-sustainability of our culture? I don't care if you like to accumulate stuff, as long as the production of that stuff isn't destroying the planet that I like to hike on. Chances are that it is.

So I guess less is more!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Just to be clear, the Holy Bible says (1 Timothy 6:10), "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

Not ALL evil…

Jimmy Swaggart
    Client 10

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

I'm going to rent a jacked up truck and run over little bunny wabbits in the desert. WOO-HOO!!!

Maybe I'll pull an Ed Abbey and fire beer bottles out the window while I'm at it. The menu? STEAK BABY!

When confronted by those who adorn themselves with conspicuous halos the proper reaction is to p*ss them off.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Don't forget to shoot at some signs and trail markers, especially in a national park:)! Greg your my hero!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Moo Cow Steak? Pffft! Bison is soooo much tastier and healthier. But…at twice the price of cow it must be evil :-P

I do also need a Jeep Rubicon as well to go with my dream shack. So again, if money and possesions are evil, please by all means send them my way.

charlie babbage

@babbage

George – that was stupid. Just being honest.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>>> George – that was stupid. Just being honest.

My wife has told me so for almost 32 years!

Atchoo atchoo, I'd better drink plenty of fluids, rest in bed, and take a MerinoUL. Now where is that tracking number…

Twelve-step needed immediately. Please help me, I'm stupid and affluenza infested. Not to mention a blind wretch. PM me for an address where to send your checks. Thanks in advance.

F. Thomas Matica

@ftm1776

Locale: Vancouver, WA

This thread brought to mind a couple of authors from my college days back in the 1960s. E.F. Scumacher and Richard Buckminster(Bucky) Fuller.
    Schumacher's concept was "small is beautiful" and is presented in his book of the same title, i.e. "Small Is Beautiful".
    Fuller, in his many books, spoke or "doing more with less" which he referred to as "ephemeralization".
    May I suggest that anyone interested in this thread topic peruse these authors' writings in text and on the web.
    Thomas M

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The reviewer wrote, "Going lighter (although those exact words are not used in the book) is the message."

I see it differently. Telling an "affluenza patient" to go lighter is like telling an alcoholic to drink less.

The authors mentioned "the lack of purpose and joy in people’s lives". To me, that is the key. The message is for us to look deep into ourselves… and discern/develop a worthwhile purpose for our lives — our calling. Fulfilling that purpose can bring us joy and satisfaction — and remove our perpetual need to otherwise "fill that hole" with stuff — heavy or light.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Odd that this debate is occuring at the same time BPL has released $70 backpacking t-shirts that "cannot withstand the repeated abrasion of pack straps from a heavy backpack, and they cannot resist the attacks of thorns, briars, or devil's club. They are less durable than a synthetic (nylon or polyester) garment of a similar weight, and require the utmost care in washing for maximum life expectancy: use wool cleaner and hand wash only for best results.

However, for the skilled backcountry traveler adept at caring for their gear…"

Sorry, but I get a kick out of how this goes round and round and round…
    Going lighter (more new gear) simplification (this year's hot new tent, tarp or other wonder-thingy) less is more (sweet new Ti pots and a bag/quilt for every season) be more conscientious (dump your old stakes, these puppies shave 18 grams off your kit- never mind the 1000 pounds of jet fuel to get them to you…)

The whole thing has become a strange paradox to me…How does one reconcile the fact that one can be part of the problem AND solution simultaneously?

Eric Nelson

@nelser01

And instead of buying it you can check it out at a local library. Of course, then you're not being a good citizen and supporting the author, megabookstore, truckers, etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools