Topic

Aluminum “Flat Fold” Cook Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Aluminum “Flat Fold” Cook Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Bill,

this looks very promising (if it’s light weight).

what is its weight per unit area?
    where are some good sources for it?
    nominal approx. cost for a very small amount?

thanks.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

The bad news is that most places sell the ceramic fiber on a roll 2′ wide by 25′ long. I think I saw an add from a place that sold it by the foot and will look for it later today. I will make an insulated cook pot so I can get an idea of how much it might weigh and boil some water to get an idea about boil time. I just did a bunch of boil tests so I have a lot of “before” times to compare with.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Bill wrote: “Roy, Where do you live? Or near what big city?”

I live in Los Angeles

-Roy-

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

deleted

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

deleted

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

deleted

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Roy,

FYI, i’ve gotten dbl-posts by hitting the F5 Refresh button (or picking the Refresh menu choice).

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Yeah I think I got the double-posts from using the back and forwads buttons. Didn’t push f5 or reload, so it wasn’t those. I think I set some sort of double post record

-Roy-

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Locale: South East U.S.

bill… that`s a great concept. another aplication would be having a pot in your emergency/survival kit just by having the foil & knowing how to use it. …slowhike

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Locale: South East U.S.

to go along w/ the thoughts others are sharing… i`ve worked on an idea of having something made out of foil, a little bigger than my pot to cover the pot & capture a lot of the flames & heat going up the side of the pot. just like turning a larger pot up-side-down over your pot. it`s just been a little tricky to make it colapsible/foldable, & therefore not bulky. …slowhike

Joy Menze
    BPL Member

@catamountain

Check out Nimblewill Nomad’s wood stove at Zen Stoves (LOTS of good stuff on this site). If made from titanium sold via thru-hiker it weights 2.7 oz (you would want the 4 – 4.5″ x5.5″ at $25. What I actually received from him from that order was five pieces as he sells the titanium for that particular stove.) The best pattern is on the Zen Stove site. That pattern shows a 6th piece that is missing in the photos. Some redrawing of the pattern may be necessary. Test on cheap stuff first.

Some weight reducing design modifications on the Nimblewill stove could include a perferated bottom and notches on the bottom edge. Titanium rod could replace the bottom. Also, I will test out two different wedge shaped versions – where the top is smaller than the bottom – to better fit my pots. I got a sheet of steel to play with before I cut up the titanium.

The wedge idea also came from a Field Stove I saw on a Japanese stove collector’s site. That stove is pictured under STOVES>OTHERS.

The Trailstove pictured below Nimblewill’s stove on the Zen site uses a blow tube instead of a fan to perk up the flame.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

lzhV2b

LZHstove ver2

006P電池2個とポットスタンドを含めても、約300g

PCファン、チタンカップ2個、金網などから

作りました。連続1時間燃焼可能

、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、

Even if it includes two 006P batteries and pot stands, it is about 300g..

It’s drive at 9V*2=18V

From PC fan, two titanium cups, a wire net, etc.

It made. Continuation 1-hour combustion is possible.

、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、
    http://homepage1.nifty.com/jsb/stovecorner/konro16.files/LZH2a.jpg

inner
    Titan cup UNIFLAME 260cc 33g 88mm * 65mmhight 1500yen
    http://www.uniflame.co.jp/products/tableware.html

Outer
    Titan cup 86mm * 91mmhight 74g 440cc $14.55
    #FH525e
    https://www.skintl.co.jp/ver10/liste.html

by JSBJSB

add

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Yukio,
    Nice work on that stove. It reminds me of an idea I had once for a ti-wood stove… (because of the comment of two ti cups)

Did you use Snowpeak Single Cups?

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

試作1号ストーブでは、プラスチック製ファンが熱に弱くて失敗しました。234gでした。

この2号ストーブでは、内側の火室の下に
    熱を避ける板を3枚重ねてあります。これによって
    1時間の連続運転でもPC用のプラスチックファンが
    溶けることは無くなりました。面白いことは
    温度センサー内蔵なので、薪が燃え尽きると
    回転数も格段にゆっくりに変化します。
    途中で、薪は継ぎ足す必要があります。
    もちろん、サイクロン燃焼です!

欠点は12VDCで駆動することです。そこで9V電池2個=18Vで回転させています。ドイツの1200mAhのリチウム電池が「秋葉原」で安く買えるので、東京では幸運です。

次の予定は、1.5Vで動くモーターと金属ファンを作りたいです。300g以下で。

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Hmm… some interesting ideas…

If I understand correctly, ther are some boards / strips of metal to reflect the heat up into the can to protect the fan?

Also, you ‘cycloned’ the inner can?

Wow, there are some really neat items on that uniflame site

Thanks for the ideas, Yukio

====Translated by babelfish
    Trial manufacture 1 in the stove, the plastic make fan being vulnerable to heat, it failed. It was 234g.

In this 2 stove, under firebox inside
    3 boards which avoid heat are piled up. With this
    Even with continual driving in 1 hour the plastic fan for PC
    Dissolving was gone. As for funny thing
    Because it is temperature sensor built-in, when the firewood blazes
    Also rpm changes markedly slowly.
    It is necessary midway, for the firewood to succeed and to add.
    Of course, it is cyclone combustion!

As for fault it is to drive with 12 VDC. With 9 V electric battery 2 = 18 V it is turning then. Because you can buy the lithium electric battery of German 1200m Ah cheaply at “Akihabara”, in Tokyo it is fortunate.

As for the following schedule, we would like to make the motor and the metal fan which move with 1.5 V, is. Below 300g.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

<span style=”color: #800080;”>sonnenschein3</span>

<span style=”color: #800080;”>http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/items2.php?c=li&s=popularity&p=1&r=1&page=#B-00038</span>

http://homepage2.nifty.com/treknz/diary_050626_led_006p.html

リチウム9V電池は、アルカリの3倍長持ちする。低温にも強い(-30℃)

しかも劣化しない。でも少し高価です。予備的な装備にも適している。

薪ストーブの電池と共用できるので、都合良いです。

LEDランプは、10000mcd * 6LED です。非常に明るく長持ちします。

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Thanks Yukio-san,
    I had made a comment about my wood stove and that I used a 9V battery with it and also used the same battery for my LED. Yukio-san has posted information about a 9V Lithium that could be used to replace the standard battery I had shown in my pictures. This is a my version of his post using a computer translation for some help.
    ===============================
    Yukio-san said:
    A lithium 9V battery — Lasting up to 3 times that of a of alkali type. It’s power stays strong at low temperature and it does not weaken in the cold
    (-30 degrees C). It is however somewhat expensive. It is suitable also for preliminary equipment. Since it can use with the battery of a wood stove in common, it is convenient. an LED lamp — 10000mcd * 6LED it is . It stays bright a very long time.
    ===============================

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

こんにちわ、Billさん

ご承知のように
    日本では、
    アルミニウムよりも熱的に弱いかもしれない
    葉っぱ、とか 和紙 を 鍋(pot)に
    使います。

水が入っている限り、大丈夫なのです
    ふふふふふ(笑)
              by JSBJSB

Matthew Huber

@m_huber

Bill, did you ever do any more tests with this? It looks like a promising idea that could save space and weight for a low cost.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

japanese food cooking, "paper pot", "Japanese paper" may be used.300 ℃ to give a paper on fire, and that the water because you have more than 100 ℃, and weak to fire and heat in the fuel alcohol
    stewed dishes. Has been used
    ., is about ¥ 10-50
    To preserve the shape of the container is often used in conjunction with basketball.
    It is about 7 inches in diameter.
    Enough to withstand the use of several

"Washi" paper that is strong!

about 7 inches   diameter

日本料理では、昔から”和紙”を使う鍋料理も行われています。

水が入っていれば、湯温度は100℃以内ですので

300℃以上の紙が燃え出す温度まで上昇しません。

実際に、焦がさない限り、数回は繰り返して使えますが

清潔好きな日本人は、あまり繰り返し使用は行いません。

かなりの耐水性を有する、3重構造の紙です。

一枚当たり、日本円では、10円から50円ぐらいです。

直径は、7インチぐらいです。

通常は、アルコールなどの弱い火の上に

形が崩れないようにバスケットを置き

特製の和紙で作られた、紙鍋を乗せて、水を入れます。

とても熱効率が良く、平均に温めることが出来ます。

フォークで突き刺すと、簡単に穴が開きますので

みなさん、ご注意ください!

Matthew Huber

@m_huber

I have to agree that this wouldn't be something to thru-hike with, but as an evening project, it sure was fun. I made this by following the instructions found on this website:
    http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-star-box.html
    I used heavy duty Al foil folded over to 4-ply thickness. The pot holds its shape when filled with water. It holds just under 2 cups. The product weighs approx. .9 oz, which is .6 for the pot, .2 for the underplate, and .1 for the lid.

I did a few boiling tests on it. There are some problems with the Al foil, some already noted. Water finds ways to get to the bottom, which then drips into the burner. This was mitigated by adding another piece below the pot that could catch the dripping water. This eliminated the problem for a cost of an additional .2 oz. The four layers of Al foil allow water to get trapped in between layers. This isn't too serious, if you were going to use the pot at night and let it dry out overnight.

The biggest problem is the ease with which the foil tears. The appeal of using the foil is that the pot could reasonably be folded flat and packed away. I did a short folding test. By the second fold, a tear had appeared at the bottom. When I folded the pot back out, a tear had formed along one of the corners. Some of this could be mitigated by adding foil tape (I don't have any right now to see how this would work). If I had the tape, I would add it to the corners prior to ever filling the pot with water. While the walls become reinforced through folding, the corners remain 1 ply thick, so they could use more reinforcement. Even with the tear, the pot can still hold over a cup of water. In a pinch, it could still be used for boiling water, even without repair.Full Al Foil PotAl Foil Water ContentAl Foil PartsCompacted Al Foil

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools