Topic

going to see Sequoia’s – anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports going to see Sequoia’s – anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Locale: the other, big Ontario

Hey, I am eager to see the giant trees at Sequoia when I visit California in the first week of october. Can anyone refer me to how to get there from Sacramento, or a good place to stay when I am there for a night or two? This is a business trip, and I won’t be able to camp out, so a good B + B would be great. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Directions are real simple. Take Hwy 99 south to Fresno. Once in Fresno, Take Hwy 180 east to Kings Canyon. From Fresno to the park it is a 2 hr. drive. To enter the park requires $10 and the trees are located in a few spots in the park. It is pretty amazing. Places to say? Probably back in Fresno. Not much in between.

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

There are some lodings available, as I see on the net. but i can’t tell where exactly they are in relation to day hike routes that will take me into the big trees. I wish i could camp out, but i don’t have the room and ability to pack everything in one suitcase. I guess I have to rent a car in Fresno? Maybe I can bus from Sacremento to Fresno? Ideas are appreciated. RM

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Umm there should be bus routes to Fresno from Sac. If you are flying into Sacramento, why not rent a car? Sac. to Fresno I think is a 1 1/2 hr drive. There might be some lodging once you enter the park at the visitors center. As for the trees? The most famous ones are located just off the hwy. Once at the vistors center, just ask one of the rangers. Another suggestion depending on finaces, would be to rent some gear at REI and camp at one of the sites in the park. Hope this helps.

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Seriously? You can rent gear? From where – somewhere in Fresno, perhaps? That would be great. Sleeping amongst the giants would far outweigh a bed in a hotel. If you know any more about this, let me know. thanks

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Sacramento has 3 REI stores in the city. I am not sure where you are from but these are mega-gear stores that sale and rent gear. Unfortunately there are none in Fresno. Since I am not from this area, I don’t know of any mom and pop shops that rent.

Anonymous

I remember the drive from Sacramento to Fresno being closer to 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

If I remember correctly there are some winery/B&Bs on the 180 on the way in from Fresno to Sequioa. Also there is lodging in Sequioa at I believe the Montecito which is within a few miles of some of the hikes.

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Well, I have just found on the net a new (1999) hotel-type place right inside the area of the Giant Forest of the Sequioa national park! It is called Wuksachi Lodge. It actually looks nice. Entrance is off of 180, and then down into the park, and it is very close to good hikes. I am pleased with this. That keeps things simple and close. Yes, it looks like the drive from Sacramento to Fresno must be at least 2.5 hours, with another hour or so after that into the park (winding roads could be different). I think that I’ll bus to Fresno, then rent a car. Or, I could just rent from Sacramento. The thing is, that the next place I have to be is back in San Francisco two days later! Not much time to spare, but I’d rather spend it in the trees than in the city.

Gabriel Lewis

@gabriel

Herb Bauer Sporting Goods in Fresno has rental gear available.

http://www.herbbauersportinggoods.com
    http://www.herbbauersportinggoods.com/rentals.html

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I head to Fresno about 2-3 times a year for work. I’d love to rent some gear and camp out in the forest once or twice…

Thank!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Not sure how well you know the area or if you are set on going to Sequoia Park, but the Mariposa Grove in the SW corner of Yosemite is also a great place to see the big trees.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

In King’s Canyon Park has to be one of the most awe-inspiring ‘things’ I’ve ever seen in my life.

The National Parks Service listing doesn’t even BEGIN to do the General justice.

The first branch is 130 feet in the air… and is 6.8 feet in diameter… the BRANCH is thicker than I am tall…

Absolutely amazing to see in person.

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Yes, yes, I’ve heard- I am so excited to see them enormous branches. And thanks about the tip about Mariposa Grove, it is closer for sure, but I am already keen on getting right into the official Giant Forest, and do the tourist thing. We will see. It looks like I will have a car rented, so time is the only factor! I guess with a tree diameter of like 200′, I can leave my hammock at home…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools