Topic

Nelson Lakes National Park, New Zealand

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Nelson Lakes National Park, New Zealand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan
    Nelson Lakes NP

I thought that I would share this with everyone. It was my first solo trip, and I had a blast making my own fun. Nothing too complicated or complex… just a good time.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Nice pics Matt!

Tell us a little something about the place and the trip.

cheers,
    -Michael "sawchuck"

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

I think the most amazing thing about this trip was that it was the very first time I was completely alone in New Zealand. I had just spent 5 months traveling with friends, and I was now completely alone, at my own will.

I almost drove straight past this national park. But I was so bored from driving that I had to get out of the car and take a look around. It wasn't until 2 pm when I decided to do the 8 hour hike… eek. But it was all worth it.

I'm not one for viewing from a car, but the safety and comfort tends to draw you in. I can compare it to working out: you never want to go to the gym, but once you get there, you feel great.

I backpacked for 6 months in New Zealand, and I swore to myself that I'd never go again… at least not for a few months :-)

I don't know how Skurka does it.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Those hanging lakes are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Michael

I'm pretty sure those are the paternoster lakes below Mt Angelus, one of the classic trips in Nelson Lakes National Park. A day in one route and a day out another makes it very popular trip, plus there's a large hut you can stay in once you reach the lakes. This can be done ultra UL as you don't have to carry shelter or sleeping mat if you don't want to…

More photos and a detailed track description can be found here:

http://www.gang-gang.net/nomad/NZ/NZ%2017.htm

I would put this on my "highly recommended" list of trips to do in NZ.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools