Topic

In Memoriam: John O’Mahoney (November 8, 1946 – March 10, 2008)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion In Memoriam: John O’Mahoney (November 8, 1946 – March 10, 2008)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to:

In Memoriam: John O'Mahoney (November 8, 1946 – March 10, 2008)

Do you have something to share about John? We'd love to hear about it.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I never knew him, but I knew John's website well. After my first couple traditional (heavy) backpacking trips, I started googling for a better way. John's website was one of the first gateways to lightweight hiking for me. I've gone back there dozens of times to read his journals and surf all the links to his fellow LW hikers and manufacturers.

My condolences to the family. I'm glad that he shared his passion with us.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Like Mark, JohnO's website was one of my first exposures to lightweight hiking. It led me in turn to others, inlcuding Adventure Alan, Jardine, BMW & BPL. I was relatively new to the internet and Google was just making its name. It was amazing to me that people would take the time to put together such valuable information for people they didn't know. It gave me insight to the excitment that he and others had about this topic.

It's a testimony that JohnO will never know just how many people he influenced. I hope his website continues for others to stumble upon.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

I never had a chance to meet John O, but from Ryan's words it's obvious he was a man of simple grace. A rare quality these days. To Ryan and others close to him, I'm sorry for your loss. But this community to a degree is a testament to his life; how many of us leave such a legacy?

A life well lived. The ultimate aspiration for all of us I think. How many of us really achieve it? John O'Mahoney did.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

John O's website was one of my first exposures to UL, too, along with Michael Connick, Ultralight Joe, Adventure Alan, and even Ryan Jordan's Yellowstone Backpacking Journal. It's been a wonderful trip since then and I thank JohnO and all the others for making such a big difference in my life.

My deepest condolences to the loved ones of JohnO.

Hope he is traveling beyond all weight considerations.

Steven Reed
    BPL Member

@steve-reed

Locale: Midwest

I was fortunate to be able to hike with John on the Teton hike that Ryan describes above. I had totally forgotten the "spork" down the throat incident. I was reminiscing about that trip and remember John, Ron and I hiking several hundred feet down through this waterfall/creek, cussing this route that "Ryan" mapped out for us. Imagine our dismay when we got to the bottom and found out we'd hiked down into the wrong valley. At that point we had considerable discussion about where we were and almost split up. It was John who kept us together and working as a team. I'm not sure we ever did find the route that Ryan described. (it seemed so easy to see on the map before we started) I know afterwards Ryan couldn't believe we had missed that couloir on the opposite side of the mountain we supposed to come down.

-Steve

Meredith Eberhart

@nimblewill

Locale: Midwest

I had the pleasure of not only knowing John, but also enjoyed spending time hiking in the Gaspe with him in 2000.
    John helped me reduce my packweight to a manageable level. One of the folks he put me in touch with was Kurt Russell. Kurt was way ahead of his time–as to stitching up lightweight gear. As a result of John O's urging, Kurt became one of my steadfast sponsors by providing one of his Nomad Lite tents. That tent now has over 17,000 miles on it.
    Hiking and lightweight backpacking has lost a great advocate and a dear friend. RIP John O.
    Eb "Nimblewill Nomad" Eberhart

Carol Elaine Donaldson

@coosa

I accidentally found out that JohnO had passed away and I can only say that I am blown away by that sad news.

I think it was late Spring, early Summer in 2000 (it could have been another year) when JohnO asked me to cache some water for him and his hiking partner at Unicoi Gap. I left the two gallon jugs hidden under leaves with a 3×5 card tacked to a tree with his name on it and directions to the water. I went back the next day to pick up the empties and never located them. I heard from him later thru email, I think, that they'd found the water and had stuck the empty gallon water jugs at Unicoi Gap behind the rock. Someone else must have taken the empties away because they weren't there.

I ran into JohnO at a number of Trail Days. I recall the 1999 TD because he was so excited about hiking in 2000.

Gone but not forgotten, 'old friend.' And I'll remember your family in my daily prayers.

mark hudson

@mvhudson

I knew John through long association in ALDHA (www.aldha.org), and was always amazed at his intense enthusiasm for life…

And his enthusiasm never left off his ability to laugh at himself. When ever you asked him about his latest misadventure he's start out with a guffaw and "Oh man!" I can hear him now…

Some of us eastern hiking fanatics get together every winter for a "Ruck" outside of Carlisle Pa, in a hostel right on the AT. A few years ago John had the great idea of doing a three or four day hike into the get-together. Gee, it was snowing (didn't John seem to be an even bigger "weather-witch" than most of us?). Anyways, unknown to John the top of his pack had come undone, and all the snow, sleet, and slush dropping out of the trees was landing in his pack and saturating everything. I don't know how he bailed out of his hike, but bail he did, and unashamedly regaled us with his adventure…

John, we're going to miss you!

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

I find it so hard to accept he has been stolen from us. Perhaps it was a mere coincidence, but after looking for a couple of days for the email for McO and Caboose (Ron) I posted a request on a list on March 12. I had not heard from him in a few months and wanted to speak with my fellow Bellies.

McO was more a partner in crime with me than anything else. Meeting him for the first time at a Ruck, we spent many other, but far too few, days together. I recall one night in particular when we shared a room at The Maples in Damascus, during Trail Days. John had the tendency to yell in his sleep and I falsly accused of snoring. The next day we sensed that the other occupants were somewhat inquisitive as to what was going on. I remember the names of two of the other guests, Ed Garvey and Earl Shaffer. I still treasure those three amigos.

McO was more than a guy we all knew, he was the mayor of the trail, of whatever trail he might be on. I am not sure whether I liked hiking with him more than hearing about hikes he had been on. I am sure that I find it so hard to understand that he is no longer there.

Sleep now my sweet prince

Don Ladigin

@dladigin

What I remember most about JohnO was his enthusiasm. He had abundant enthusiasm for hiking, for life, for wholesome fun, and enthusiasm for sharing knowledge.

The world is a better place because JohnO was in it for a while. I think no greater thing can be said about anyone…

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Locale: SE Michigan

My turn I suppose. Like others here I was fortunate enough to hike with JohnO on several trips. I wasn't present for the sprok incident since our groups had split up by then but the story as regailed to us after the trip was done back at the Anvil was exceptional. I recall trips with JohnO to the Tetons and to the east coast. For example, some fine times were had along the AT in Northern Georgia back in October 2000 around campsites with less than firey gumbo provided by Karen Susa. She and JohnO were able to weave wonderful yarns of things they had seen in the past. I just sat back with Ron and listened and enjoyed myself. That same trip when visiting McAfeee Knob we all had a wonderful time at one of the most photographed spots along the AT (in sunlight no less!). JohnO could always brighten a day and whether you agreed or disagreed with him on a subject you always came away feeling good.

** Ken **

Vera Hurst

@veraj

John O's laugh and joking nature was one of his best qualities….I met him through his lightweight backpacking website and our ALDHA membership..plus the PA rucks. We shared a mutual love of teaching young people about the outdoors…probably one of my favorite memories are his BPing light workshops at Gatherings…funny but packed FULL of great info.

There was no doubt that he loved his family & friends, loved the adventure that was his life and loved the outdoors. When I saw him last, at the Gathering '07, I hugged him hard because I just wanted him to know how much he meant to all of us. Hard to image a Gathering without him. But I know he's hangin around up there with his wings on upside down and his crown on askew, making the angels laugh just like he made us laugh…

Fare thee well, my friend and keep the light burning for us…

Vera

Alan Garber

@altadude

What a moving tribute/eulogy.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

I expect there are many people who will miss John.

He sounds like someone I would have very much enjoyed knowing.

Here is a Native American Poem which gives me comfort:

I give you this one thought to keep –
    I am with you still – I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow,
    I am the diamond glints on snow,
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awaken in the morning's hush,
    I am the sweet uplifting rush,
    of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft starts that shine at night.
    Do not think of me as gone –
    I am with you still in each new dawn.

Peace,
    Alan

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

I keep coming back here, hoping McO will hit us all with a big laugh and explaining how it is all a joke

Ken mentioned the idea of a memorial hike. I was wondering if we could put together some sort of relay event, or perhaps a simultaneous outing. Sort of like a trail day to honor him. Man this hurts

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Ryan,

Sorry to hear of the loss of your good friend JohnO. Your post was sad, but your story and the picture made me smile.

For all of us, the longer we live, even if we seek lightness, the heavier our burden of losses becomes.

His advice should be followed by all of us…

"Keep your head focused on the tread, take it one step at a time, and stay tuned to whatever comes."

charles kopenhafer

@mark28

i have known John O for 35 years or better . my experiences were somewhat different than the hikers here in that John & I were working street Cops with the Brick township police dept. in brick N.J.
    john was one of the very few cops that i considered utterly reliable in any situation. there was the added benefit of working with him on hairy jobs, he was the only officer that was considered crazier than i was.
    i will miss that mad irish gleam in his eye, and his wicked smile, usually just before he did something outrageous.
    he could be crusty at times, but he was an good, honest, and decent man who loved his family & always did the right thing.
    i am proud that that he called me a friend.
    the world will be a smaller, lesser place with his passing.
    go with God my friend,
    mark kopenhafer

Donald Johnston
    BPL Member

@photonstove

I had the privilege of meeting and hiking with JohnO several times. I never saw him without a broad smile on his face.

JohnO preparing for a hike

Others have spoken of his sense of humor. Visiting a gear shop with JohnO was a fun experience not to be missed.

He leaves behind a large family of people who's lives he helped lighten up in several ways.

Don

Jim Walke

@jaywalke3

I just learned about JohnO's passing from a mention in "AT Journeys" magazine.

I have vivid memories of him from the Tetons trip:
    – JohnO and Ron trying to hang 30lbs. of food bags from a branch that might hold half that. It was like a bear pinata.
    – JohnO festooning himself with orange blaze tape to keep from being mistaken for a rutting elk.
    – His *two* full-size cans of bear spray worn bandito-style.

Most of all, I remember his stories: his eyes lighting up as he recounted the FS ranger who spotted a grizzly nearby, the wild re-enactment of the plunge down the "wrong couloir," and his simple joy at the gear shop sale and the steakhouse.
    JohnO was a character who was having a good time, all the time, and he encouraged (by example) that those around do the same.

J.Walke

Stephanie Howard

@alany188

I had a very different relationship with John then most people here. I actually met him at a summer camp that he was a counselor at a few years ago. Its a camp for kids who have or have had cancer. It was only my second summer there and I didn't know many people and I was still kind of shy/quiet. Anyone who knew John knew he was anything but shy or quiet for that matter.He is loud and crazy and such a trouble maker. He helped me through so much and he inspired so many kids there including myself. He was such a role model and so trustworthy and he was always there when you needed him. He seriously was like a second father to me. Camp will never be the same without him and no one will be able to cause such an uproar on a fishing dock at 6am like he could. He is truly missed…..I honestly don't know if I'm going to make it back to camp this year…it will be so hard without him…he always encouraged me to make a difference and to be yourself but most of all- to stay strong- even when he got sick, he never let it get the best of him….He was truly amazing and I know hes missed by sooo many……
    ~Steph H

john burnham

@aquaman1208

I just joined the site specifically to check up on johnny o. Hiked with him and nimblewill nomad for awhile on the IAT. Good guy and outgoing. Sorry I'm so late.

Aquaman

john burnham

@aquaman1208

I didn't know until now about his passing. I always enjoyed time spent hiking with him and considered him a friend.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools