Topic

When have you gone too light?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique When have you gone too light?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Why do you need water proof boots. You will not be getting wet. The hike is awesome. One of my fave's of the Sierra's. That said. List everything that you are bringing and I will go over your list with you. Pm me.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Hey Anthony, This thread has been an amazing read, especially brilliant with Roman Dials eloquent posts. Please realize your post should be relocated to (and would get better response from) its own thread.

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

When you assume that there's not much trail left when its actually over 8 miles with no water and decide on your girlfriends first trip that it would be okay to NOT fill up all your platys at the river you camped next to….because I mean, water's just too heavy!

Art Sandt

@artsandt

I left my water crossing shoes at home in an effort to save weight one time. This was a multi-day hike with 2-3 ankle-deep wet crossings per day. It didn't rain, but my feet stayed damp the entire trip because as soon as they'd start to dry out, I'd come to another wet crossing. The result was that I ended up with feet that got a little "rotted" from continuously hiking in wet shoes and all night, they'd be practically throbbing.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

A few times a year I go out with nothing but the clothes on my back, canteen & cup, a sheath knife & a pocket knife, 22 rifle & ammo, Ferro Rod and a pocket survival kit. I don't actually hike very far but I usually move camp a miles or so every day, I try to stay close to a stream. I build a fire, make a shelter and a bough bed and stay somewhat dry and warm through the nights. There is always something to eat: craw fish, trout, squirrel, wild onions, mushrooms and blackberries. In winter time I add a wool blanket, maybe some cans of beans and a Duluth pack to carry them in.

Now actually backpacking? I really haven't gotten into trouble because of trying to go to light. Maybe a little discomfort every now and then because of cold and wet weather. Usually if I forget something or think I can do without something and I was wrong I just make do. If everything was perfectly planned I wouldn't have any fun.

Adam Lockyer

@jurdley79

Locale: Southern AZ

About a year ago I went backpacking accross a remote area on the Big Island of Hawaii. The elevation was up to 6500' but it's Hawaii right? Can't get too cold…I've camped in temps down around 15 degrees F. I was trying out my new skeeter beeter hammock and had never hammock-camped before. I thought no need for a pad, I'm sleeping in a hammock…big mistake! You gotta have insulation. I had the coldest night ever while backpacking and it only got down around 45-50F! No sleep and lesson learned

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Reviving a fun older thread. Enjoy! … or don't, sheesh.

David Smith
    Spectator

@davedksmithfamily-com

Nicole, I have read your old article on Ryan's trip to the Winds a number of times over the years and have enjoyed it immensely. Now, I'm looking at taking a trip to the Winds, next September. Can you tell me over what specific dates that trip was taken? I know that there is no necessarily magic date as to when blizzards can occur in the Wind River Range, but it would help me to know if their trip was late or early in the month.

Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools