Topic

Used Gear Shop Frustrating

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Used Gear Shop Frustrating

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast

Hello everyone! I just eagerly read my weekly news email from BPL and clicked the link to the Used Gear Shop. I was quickly frustrated and geting hot under the collar to find that most items in the shop are out of stock. I apologize in advance if the tone of this post is overly critical. I don't usually find myself disappointed – much less aggravated – by BPL's website. My greatest hope is that I have missed some (probably obvious) way of weeding out the 'out of stock' items and that replies to this post will remedy my ignorance.

My first question is: Why aren't items at least noted on the main listing page as In Stock or Out of Stock (or Out of Stock items removed altogether, or at the very least filterable) so visitors don't waste time opening listing after listing only to find so many items unavailable for purchase?

My second question is: Why would you guys at BPL, who regularly impress me with your layout, content and general knowledge put an ad in your newsletter to a section of your website that is so clunky? I visited the Used Gear section last year only to find the same problem, but chalked it up to the fact that BPL was advertising for website help.

It's a great idea to offer gear, and used gear for sale. BPL is always the first place I look. But I have to admit that, unless I have missed some way to drop the out of stock listings, I'll go back to just checking the Gear Swap and Gear Deals forums in the future to avoid the frustration of dealing with the Gear Shop problems.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I was getting errors also when browsing the sale pages. I think those few pages were getting hit pretty hard.

Luckily I was at work so I had the time to sit and score a pair of the Cocoon pants for the $25:)

There were a few other items I would have liked but I kept getting the errors so I gave up when I safely had the pants in my cart.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I clicked on a few dozen items in Used Gear, and found 100% of them out of stock. Great idea, but the site clearly needs a major overhaul.

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

Same here, I agree

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Woah Woah Woah…you get a weekly news emails? I get emails announcing big sales, but what's the deal with this weekly newsletter?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Andrew, sign up on homepage.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

ohhh…I was looking to sign up in my profile. Thanks John!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Most of the items in the used gear section were one of a kind and had sold early this morning. Only the earliest birds got those worms.

Elizabeth Rothman

@erothman2

Locale: Pacific NW

my insomnia paid off big time last night, I think I scored at the used sale. Definitely buggy, I was hard pressed to find my way back to the sale from my shopping cart or the item description several times, almost left flagging tied to the urls I passed… but I got some deals. And because my first insomnia visit was to eBay, I may have some things to sell, once I decide which new purchase I like best. Stay tuned.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

I'm curious to know about the quality of the items received. I hope that people will post any issues that the items have. Of course, I would hope the items do have some differences from the final product in cases where they are samples and the like. I'm curious to know what the difference is though.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I am in the same boat Elizabeth, I am up bright and early on the east coast and in the office. I scored a BMW Cocoon pullover for $25.

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Locale: the other, big Ontario

I agree with Jane for the most part. I experienced major frustration after a moment of false elation when I thought I might get a coveted cocoon for 25$ – which would save me both discomfort and money.

My major concern is from people like (potentially, to be fair) Elizabeth, posting above. Hoarding from a sale and then reselling is really an unpleasant thing to do, in my humble opinion. (Especially when quantities are so clearly limited.)

I can only hope that the other persons who took advantage of these incredible deals were indeed purchasing things that they truly need and can use, and that they truly cannot afford to pay full price for them – because surely there are those of us for whom both of those conditions apply.

Otherwise, I suppose I have learned a lesson and will try to sign up for the aforementioned newsletter!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these items show up in the gear swap. I'm usually hesitant to buy clothing on line due to fit, and the Cocoon products seem to have even more issues with them. For $25 I was willing to take the chance that I wasn't willing to take for ~$160 on a cocoon pullover. There wasn't alot of detail on the quality, but one man's garbage…

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Weird that they didn't put it on eBay, to make more money/save effort/give westerners a chance to pay a little extra to get something they're really keen on.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Hey guys!
    The sale went up at midnight, so folks that live internationally or were up REALLY early truly scored. Error messages were due to the sheer volume of people scouring for deals. There was one of any given thing, which is why everything showed as out of stock. We got that filtered down as soon as we could this morning, but the response slammed us. We can only be SO amazing, right?

Hope those that scored enjoy their deals…and I'm sorry for any frustration. Have a good one!
    Kind regards,
    Addie

Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Locale: Central Texas

If anyone picked up a mens Golite Ether Wind Shirt in either a large or medium, and don't need it after all, Please email me at [email protected]. I can pay promptly via PayPal or any other means.

Thanks!

Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast

Thanks for your explainations Sam and Addie. That helps alleviate the frustration somewhat.

Yes, I had hopes of scoring a cocoon hoody or a sil tarp within my budget but I'll live without them. Now that you've seen the power of ads in your newsletter (at least you know they're effective, eh?) I have confidence you'll be more prepared next time.

Might I suggest the next notice have a start time announced and delayed long enough to give everyone a fair shot at the gear? If not, I guess I'll have to set my alarm for midnight on Tuesday nights from now on…. :-)

Joe DeLoss

@goinggrindel

Locale: Sunny Central Ohio

I was at work early and was pumped to have scored a cocoon hoody, pants, and quilt for $125…. But I just received the email to let me know I'd only be recieving the pants. Definitely frustrating, still a good deal on the pants but I was just looking forward to a whole new sleep system.

That said, thanks for the deal BPL, I'm looking forward to the next string of used gear and a more fluid process… Medium cocoon pants anyone?

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

If BPL allowed you to buy those products, they should ante up and send them.

That's good customer service.

Joe DeLoss

@goinggrindel

Locale: Sunny Central Ohio

Thats a thought…especially considering my card was already charged and now has to be refunded. I understand the overwhelming response they must have recieved, its unreasonable to ask for $400+ of new gear for the $100 inconvenience.

Maybe the next time around they can give some preference to all the folks that were in my position this time (paying for gear that didn't exist).

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Being international in Australia, I recieved the newsletter email at about 5pm here (perfect timing). I went straight in an I think I probably had my pick of everything.

So luckily I also walked away with a cocoon hoody, pants, 180 quilt, and also a possum down beanie…I feel a bit bad for taking some of the great deals…but hey, I'm a bum student, and I pay more than you guys for postage…and they are four things that will really help me get alot lighter.

I promise to let everyone know what they are like…from memory I think they were all listed as "sample", whatever that means…likely that the arms and legs are way too short or long…

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

So YOU'RE the one who got the 180 quilt I've been wanting. I think I was on right after you as I also got a hoody and pants, but with a 90 quilt. $100 for all 3. Let me know if you change your mind about the 180. I'd be interested in buying or trading for it. Getting online before work has finally paid off.
    Thanks BPL!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!