Topic

GG Treklight Mod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear GG Treklight Mod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Has anyone modified these poles so you can take them apart? I was hoping to try something like this and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or experience with it. Would this ruin the stiffness of the poles?

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've heard of this being done. In fact, Gossamer Gear make some prototypes of a break-down version of their Lightrek pole built with pieces from Titanium Goat.

I tested one of these early poles and had terrible luck. The pole still felt fine but the reinforcing ring where the pole was cut broke free and the pole shattered on an impact.

Gossamer Gear had similar results with some other prototypes and decided to not bring this model to market.

I suspect the flexibility inherint in the Lightrek design was a major factor of this failure. If you make such a conversion, you'll want to really beef up the pole and the area of the cut.

This may be even trickier with the new tapered shafts of the Lightrek 3 (which is a SWEET pole, by the way!)

Best of luck!

Doug

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools