Topic

Quality Gear stores in the North East

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Quality Gear stores in the North East

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Can anyone recommend a gear store in the North East that sells GoLite, Montbell, Smartwool, OR, WM, etc brands? Most of the stores by me either sell their own brand [EMS brand] or North face.

I'm looking for a good gear store like backcountrygear that has a diverse list of brands.

I have been to my nearest REI, but they seem to have the EMS problem where they stock more REI brand equipment than others.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

campmor.com

Pure heaven. Northern NJ. Closed Sundays. Ramsey Outdoor is just down the road too.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Campmor has an EMS right next door to it, which is surprising. What is Ramsey Outdoor like?

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Years back, Nestor's in Allentown was a great shop, lots of good stuff, and a knowledgable staff (yes I used to work there.) but last time I was there, they had shrunk in size and variety, but who knows, maybe they've recovered?

I apologize for any thread drift I may be contributing to, I am avoiding writing a paper.

a a

@stewby15

A

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

It's been years since I've been up to Ramsey. I have no idea what they're like now. I think that they're not as big as Campmor, but they fill in some gaps.

They closed the Nestors by me in Quakertown. I'm somewhat disappointed, but they didn't have much for UL or specialty stuff. They were good for getting some f-d meals before a trip, or picking up a USGS topo. I miss the other departments that they provided (ski, bike).

I think Bucks County Outfitters in Doylestown is good too.

Luis Ramos

@luisramos

Locale: Maryland
    Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

The Quaketown location of Nestors is closed and the Allentown location is just a shell of what it once was. If you enjoy BPL, you won't want to waste time going to Nestors. Disappointing because I got my first tent, backpack, and basic (heavy) gear there years ago.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

When my son lived in Massachusetts, I used to visit the Arcadian Shop (Acadian Shop? I can't remember the spelling.) It's located just outside Pittsfield, Massachusetts, along the main connector highway to the interstate. (PJ – if you still follow this website, can you help me out with route numbers?) They carried Patagonia, Granite Gear, MSR, Snow Peak (I think) – I do remember I always came out with a sack in my hand. My son left Pittsfield for South Carolina about 4 years ago, so I don't know what the store's like now.

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

There are two Ramsey Outdoor Stores near Campmor and Eastern Mountain Sports. One is in Paramus, south of Campmor and the other is in Ramsey, about 8 miles north. All three stores give a 10% discount to New York – New Jersey Trail Conference members. See: http://www.nynjtc.org/commerce/discount.html

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but most of my specialty gear comes from the cottage industry at this point anyway (BPL, ULA, MLD, JRB). Yes, the larger stores have their place for incidentals, but most of our stuff is from the small mail-order guy nowadays.

BTW, remember to support the locally-owned store!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I also buy most of my stuff on the web now, particularly from the cottage industry. Why not go straight to tthose companies' website to order what you want? However, it is nice to try on clothing for fit since it's a hassle to return items. For example, I find the SmartWool shirts to have an unusual fit for the stated size.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Thanks for the info all, but I still don't think they match a backcountry, backcountrygear, prolitegear or a moosejaw. Looks like I need a business trip out west.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools