Topic

alcohol vs. canister

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear alcohol vs. canister

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Fred Stevenson

@freds

Locale: Montana

I am just curious to know how many people (percentage or otherwise) use what kind of stove and why. Mostly for conveience or weight I suppose. I like the pocket rocket or markill titan if that is what it is called. The markill has an igniter on it that is worthless at the altitudes I am at, but it spreads the flame out better if I bring or catch food I actually need to cook. I have yet to run into anyone using a homade alcohol stove in the beartooths, but that does'nt say I know much. How can we take a pole on here?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I have been using an alcohol (TinMan version or Caldera Cone) for the last 4 years. Although I hike in all four seasons, they are mostly overnighters and I don't melt snow for water, so the poorer cold temperature (down to 2 F) performance isn't a big problem. I view it as a chance to perfect my technique.

Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

Locale: Southeast

I use a homemade alcohol and cone. My whole kitchen weighs 9 onuces with an insulated zip-lock container. I use about 1 1/2 ounces a day and plan to cut that in half by going to a cold breakfast during warm months.

I hike short week end trip and along with a couple of week to two week long trips a year on the AT. I've found no problem re-suppling on my longer trips.

shawn weld

@spoon

Locale: NorthEast

Depends on the hike (length, weather, altitude). I either go with an Elite#2 (Mini Bull Designs) with a snow peak 600 or the Jetboil PCS. I also really like cat can stoves but I usually just play with those when I'm in my backyard pretending to be on a hike.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Alcohol with a cone and beer can pot for solo and duo trips.

Canister and larger pot for anything more than 2 people.

-Mark

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

For cold and wet trips (early spring and late fall) I go with a Pocket Rocket canister stove so I can quickly boil up hot beverages and food to warm up. As of late last year I tend to just use a Bushbuddy with a few esbit tabs as backup for the rest of the year. I have tested it a few times this winter as well and as long as you are in no rush it works rather nicely.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I've used a Caldera Cone down to nearly +10 F with great success. I have melted snow on it down to +25 F. Works fine for me.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

Ssimg_2309

JETBOILには、ガスストーブを必ず使う。誰が決めたのですか?熱効率が良いJETBOILと簡単な仕組みで使える固体燃料。その両者のベストコラボレーションが、これ!点火からおよそ6分間過ぎると沸騰します袋入りのラーメンを二つに割り入れます。徐々に火力が下がっていきます。燃え尽きる頃にはOK.カップラーメンならば、2個作れそうです.ウルトラライト.燃えカスは完全に冷えると剥がれます。煤は全く無く、火力はEsbitの半分ぐらいです。東京では、気軽に、3個で105円。100円均一ショップで買えます。

400ml water boil time within 6m20sec. running cost @35yen / 20g fuel

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yPvfStfa0

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools