Topic

bivy advice please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) bivy advice please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Locale: the other, big Ontario

Hey guys,
    I am wondering if I could get advice on the best bivy to use if what I am looking for is:
    – light, sleeping bag protection under neath a tarp- ie: for protection from splashing and damp floors
    – bug protection
    – very light but high value (ie: i cannot afford a bozeman bivy)

Thanks!

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Also being short on funds, I opted for the Equinox ultralight bivy. The Equinox was evaluated along with about a dozen others in the Backpackinglight magazine, vol.7, and was one of three or four that earned a top average score. It weighs in at 6.3 oz on my scale (BPL said 7), has a WP silnylon bottom and WR/B top, but no bug netting. I overcome this by wearing a headnet but have plans of sewing on a piece of netting. This is just the ticket for use under a tarp, and I have even used it as a stand alone piece of equipment in the open, weather permitting.

I started out with a much more expensive Integral Designs bivy that had a proprietary coating and was supposed to be WP/B; however, I found the level of condensation unacceptable (i.e., it did not breathe) and water could pass through the fabric from the bottom due to hydrostatic pressure.

So in my book the Equinox was a terrific find and functions well, except for the bug protection, which is easily overcome. There are a lot of good choices out there, but they'll cost you a lot more, too. Check it out at: equinoxltd.com. Happy Trails!

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

I just made a meteor bivy using the instructions on SMDs website. I was looking for something similar to what you are and decided to go with that. Havent tried it out yet though so im afraid i cant tell you too much more. MLD has a bug bivy and the serenity shelter that could also be possible solutions.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Some of the big names in UL don't use a bivy at all (e.g., Brian Skurka, Flyin Brian, & Francis Tapon). They tout proper site location and tarp pitching for keeping out of the wind & rain. You can also use a 8×10 tarp, which has lots of room so splash isn't a problem. You can use a headnet or the Gossamer Gear netting for bugs. A fitten ground sheet will keep you dry, and Tyvek is much more durable and cheaper than the alternatives.

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Thanks guys,

Tom, I guess I have seen that, but it kinda makes me nervous. Most of my camping is done in canada, where we get WAY more precipation than most other areas, and often with less notice. Putting my down sleeping bag on a ground sheet in the rain … I think that would take me a bit to get ok with. And in mid season, mosquitos are enough to drive you insane – is a makeshift bug netting really going to do the trick?
    I mean, I have a bug shirt, so I could prop that up, but I have never tried this.
    In the past, I have been a hammock user, but I have decided that it is really not my favourite thing, although it is a nice idea.
    So – just a oversized tarp and a Waterproof downsheet?

Hmm.

May be a mental hurdle to overcome there…

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

I highly recommend the bivy made by Titanium Goat. It meets all of your qualifications if you get the added headnet. This will run you $110 total. I'm not sure if this is too much or not. http://www.titaniumgoat.com/bivy.html

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

"Some of the big names in UL don't use a bivy at all (e.g., Brian Skurka, Flyin Brian, & Francis Tapon)"

Andrew Skurka (I don't know Brian), does use a BMW bivy with a tarp, it's in his gear lists and photos.

I use an older Titanium Goat bivy, and I like it a lot. It gives be spray/dew/bug protection, and is great with out a tarp on clear nights. Mine even kept me dry in 20 minutes of light rain when I misjudged!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> it kinda makes me nervous. Most of my camping is done in canada, where we get WAY more precipation than most other areas, and often with less notice. Putting my down sleeping bag on a ground sheet in the rain

Horses for courses.
    Tarps suit some country and some weather. They fail in other places.
    The only real rule in all this is that you have to make up your own mind for your conditions (and for your own safety).

Me, I use a tent with mossie netting and a bucket groundsheet. And I can justify all of those for the country I walk in.

Diana R
    BPL Member

@mysticmoose-2

Locale: Great Lakes region

I also recommend ta Ti Goat bivy. I have the older DWR bivy, and it's been great for shedding light precipitation and keeping the bugs away. Mine weighs 7 oz, I think, with bug netting. I'm not very big, but I got the large to use for winter camping and thick inflatable pads. The only downside is that the foot area is a bit tight. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier. Too bad they discontinued it, since it was very reasonably priced…

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I highly recommend the Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec Bivy Bag. I had a mountain hardware conduit sl bivy but was experience too much condensation. The montbell dry tec breaths well. However you have to deal with the frustration that it is zipperless. It's 6.3 oz and increases my bag warmth, holds my pad under me and is just a great bivy to use with a tarp.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

"Most of my camping is done in Canada"

Your probably not too far from me (read you went to Algonquin)…I've been using a Ti-goat bivy (they sell a newer one now) paired with a Sea 2 Summmit Poncho/Tarp for about 2 years. I have been in some pretty hairy rainstorms and I couldn't be happier.

HTH

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

….

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Steve Evans –
    Question for you: if you are in Canada, where do you buy your stuff? Usually, it seems I have to order from the US and get a friend to re-send it.
    Is a ti-goat available up here?
    MEC is quite limited, as you know..

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Hey Rob,
    I usually browse MEC or Europebound but rarely buy more then a few freeze dried meals and snacks. Their selection is large (WM sleeping bags), but they really cater to the general public, and not to the UL. I cringe at the stuff I hear the salespeople tell some of the customers.

Almost all my stuff is purchased from the States now. I have had great experiences with many companies.

Six Moons Designs – Tarptent – Feathered Friends – BPL – Tigoat – Northern lites – Montbell – Stephensons Warmlite – Forty Below…probably more, but can't remember right now.

As for Tigoat, the guys there are really great. I have been corresponding with them lately over one of there vertex tarps – they will ship up to you no problem.

If you are looking for Montbell stuff, contact Brett from japan – he hooks me up with some good deals out there…ends up being cheaper from him.

Steve

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

STeve, thanks for the company list":
    I have been burned badly before when purchasing from the US – with paying 'brokerage fees'. ( my 80$ water filter got hit with a 45$ 'fee' beyond taxes)
    It is hard to get around that I find. Have you run into this glitch or what? I often as sellers to label items as gifts – but with larger companies that can't happen, of course.
    At any rate, thanks!

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Before heading to Bolivia my nephew picked up a few yards of uncoated ripstop nylon 2nds from noahlamport.com and stitched up a zipperless bivy. It's hard to make a significant sewing mistake on a non-WP bivy sack. It was his first project and it came out great. At 5.5 oz it is also 1oz lighter than my BMW sil-nylon/pertex quantum $230 bivy from BPL at 10x the price. For bugs we just wear headnets.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

"always use USPS, not UPS or Fed Ex"

Good advice from David. I have been taken to the cleaners before. Other advice, buy wisely :), that way you only have to make a few purchases…and take advantage of the high dollar, a few years back, half this stuff would be 50% more!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

….double post.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Oware USA was having a sale on line last week of bivies with cosmetic defects.

Since the bivies from Boseman/backpacking light come with instructions from Oware on how to seal the seams, I suspect that Oware is the manufacturer.

Oware bivies have been reviewed in both the print and on line BPL.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools