Topic

Favorite route in the west

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Favorite route in the west

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    john griffith
    BPL Member

@jgriffith-2

Locale: Southeast U.S.

I'm planning a trip out West with some friends (I'm in Atlanta) and am looking for a 40-70 mile loop in mountains. I would love to hear what everyone's favorites are.

Kyle Berkompas

@vantoast

Locale: West

All I have to say is….

Alpine Lakes Wilderness

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rae Lakes Loop, Kings Canyon, CA.

Rae Lakes

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

WOW…That's magical!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

High Sierra Trail – 71 miles

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

Tonto Trail, GCtonto trail

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hmm… loop cuts a number of good options out. While not quite a loop, I would suggest South Lake to North Lake in on the eastern side of the sierras. It's not a classic "loop" going in and out the same trail head, but the trail heads weren't that far apart… something like 5 miles apart. When I did it some nice day hikers gave me a lift so I didn't end up hoofing it between the trailheads. This hike goes from South Lake through Bishop pass, down to JMT, Over Muir Pass, through Evolution, Over P? Pass, and out to South Lake. There are a number of variations, especially if you do a bit of cross country. Alas, don't have good picture, camera died the last time I did this trip.

–Mark

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

My favorite hike in the Northern Rockies fitting the mileage description you requested would be in Glacier National Park. Bowman Lake trailhead to Brown Pass to Hole-in-the-Wall to Boulder Pass, finishing at Kintla Lake trailhead.

Glacier National Park view of Bowman Lake

Glacier National Park, Upper Kintla Lake

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

the Tonto trail at sunrise blew me away

colorado at sunrise

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

My favorite area in Washington State is the Glacier Peak area (and we have a lot of great areas). I haven't done the hike, but I can tell that a loop which included going over Spider Gap and Buck Creek Pass would be fantastic (everyone who has done it has said so). This would include Image Lake (one of the more photographed spots on the planet). Since the big storms have damaged a lot of the trails, this is the easiest way into the lake.

There is a lot of up and down (the Sierras are much kinder on your knees). Unlike a lot of areas, you don't need to worry about reserving campsites. I would recommend late July to early August. By then the snow will have mostly melted and the flowers should be in full bloom.

If you get on http://www.nwhikers.net, you can find plenty of people who rave about the hike and offer advice and tips (I'm sure some of the folks on this forum can do the same). Allow time to explore little peaks and side trails as well.

To give you an idea of the area, I googled for pictures and came up with this: http://bobrat.weblogger.com/stories/storyReader$1434 (I don't know the people). They went in late August, so they didn't have to worry about snow or bugs too much. If you go in early August, you'll have plenty of bugs, but wildflowers that will be superb.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'll bet you came out over Paiute Pass, Mark. Very nice route you picked, BTW.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools