Topic

Why Are We Even Still Here? was “A Very Thorough MYOG Site”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why Are We Even Still Here? was “A Very Thorough MYOG Site”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

George,

Where do you think most of the ideas for the light weight gear being sold today came from?

Much of that gear was made by MYOG folks that were asked to start making it and to sell it so others could lighten there pack load.

You have a Ti long handle spoon because some MYOG guy made the first one and the one BPL sold was inspired by it. Now you can find the long handled Ti spoon being sold at REI.

MYOG folks were making, talking about and showing how they were using Cuben fiber years ago. Today count how much gear is being sold using Cuben Fiber.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Bill, et al.

Unfortunately, I don't have a knack for MYOG as I've learned through trial and mostly error. I can make an alcohol stove if I have detailed instructions, but I usually don't have the time to really make one better than I can buy one. For sewing, I've partially made a pair of mitts (my wife had to rescue the project) and bought fleece for a vest (my wife did the cutting and sewing). As a result, I am more willing to spend my money, but less willing to spend my time.

I have the highest respect, admiration, and homage for the MYOG category of BPL users. Their innovating spirit leads to brilliant and elegant discoveries and inventions. In some cases, this creative process leads further to successful business opportunities were they make and sell their products. I am grateful for these success stories because they let a really bad MYOG person like me buy really good, light gear. Most of my gear list is comprised of purchases from these niche businesses. BPL is where I learn about their products. That's why I am here.

Based on the large volume of forum threads and posts related to gear products, I'm part of a large group of BPL users. In my opinion, this traffic shows that the majority of BPL users are more willing to spend their money buying light gear than willing to spend their time making light gear. Although not the primary focus of many BPL users, quite possibly MYOG is the soul of BPL.

Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools