Topic

Headlamp help needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Headlamp help needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I need to get a headlamp and someone I trust suggested a Black Diamond Spot as a headlamp for general all around support. Would other people suggest this also or what have they found that works for them? I would like to get something that will run off of rechargeable AA or AAA batteries. Thanks. Sorry for all the posts lately but I want to get this stuff sorted out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brett – Did you take a look at the BPL: Reader Reviews of Lights – Flashlights & Headlamps you might find it helpful…

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

that lanp is cool. I have a Princeton Tec EOS and I love it.. Great review on this site.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I would look at the Princeton Tec EOS, Petzl Tikka XP, and Black Diamond Spot. These are all 1-watt, ~3oz lights. There are lighter lights and brighter lights, but I believe these are the best combination of the two. I bought a 3-watt Petzl Myo XP, but it is too heavy for what I wanted it for.

The Petzl has a diffuser which is a big plus, but doesn't run on lithium batteries nor does it have a regulated output. The EOS has a regulated output and runs on lithiums, but doesn't have spot/flood capabilities. The Spot does have spot/flood capabilities by having a 1 watt LED and standard LEDs, but it isn't regulated (I am not sure about lithium batteries). Maybe one day there will be the perfect light, it seems so easy as these 3 similar lights each contain their own piece of the puzzle, but until then, you just have to pick the best one for your situation.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Another EOS vote here. I have 2 and they've seen a ton of use. One lives full time on one of my bike helmets.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I got the XP after great experiences with my Zipka, but the XP has bad beam artifacts around the edges, and a few other flaws I notice (but probably others dont care about). If I had the money to spend over again Id get the BD spot, or the EOS (but I worry about PT quality after my first one corroded away to inoperability.
    It is nice having that 1W beam; truly amazing. I run rechargables through my 3 lights and so can always start a trip with full batteries.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

For a super powerful and light weight headlamp I would recommend getting a Fenix L1D Rebel and rigging it to a jackstrap. I use it every night running and it is wonderful and only takes 1 AA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another vote for the EOS. It's light, reliable, throws a heck of a beam for night work-on trail and off, uses lithium batteries with regulated current, is H2O proof for all practical purposes, and is reasonably priced. Only con in my experience is that the rubber gasket has a habit of popping out when I open the battery housing to remove the batteries for storage. That is a minor nit, IMO, as it is easy to push the gasket back in with a toothpick or similar implement.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I have used a Tikka, Tikka Plus, Tikka XP and the BD Spot (which is what I have now).

The first two were great, and classics. The plus is an improvement on the standard Tikka, for no real weight gain, and is worth the few extra bucks. The XP I didnt overly like-I gave it away when I got the Spot. I found the XP a bit heavy on my head, and personally I didnt like the buttons. It was better for night nav and rogaining though than the Tikka Plus-although that is usually adequate for me. I used to rogaine for a couple of years with just a standard Tikka without any real hassles except for a couple of checkpoints…just means you have to navigate off the map and features for the last 150m or so, instead of spoting it earlier and using your in-built neural-network to choose the easiest path over the terrain for the final dash.

I love the Spot though. At first I didnt read the instructions and so I didnt quite understand the button and used to get frustrated with it (for about 10 hours of use), but once you work it out, its great. It has so many lighting levels. The 3 LEDs are great for close up work and map-reading…I usually keep them on the lowest setting. They are fine on that setting for watching your feet whilst walking aswell. The Big LED I absolutely love for long distance lighting…sure you can get way more powerful lights, but this things lasts an eternity, has nice even light, and I have found it great for flashing out Rogaine checkpoints from even about 150m away (which is more than far enough!). I've even used it Mountain Biking at night, though I was going relatively slow (I'm not that fast off-road on my bike).

I would really recommend the Spot. It does way more than the Tikka Plus, and is lighter and sits better on your head than the XP. Its also cheaper (in Aus at least).

I haven't used the EOS, though I have seen it in stores.

Oh yeah, I haven't had any trouble running the spot on Li-ion rechargeable batteries, and have also used it with Energizer lithium batteries with no problems.

Good luck with your choice (you really cant go wrong with any of those models so don't fret),

Adam

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Dave T

@davet

charlie babbage

@babbage

This may not put as much of dent in your wallet, but I have been using those 12.00 eveready led headlamps from walmart for 4 years. I have never had one die yet. The batteries last a super long time. the light output is as good as any, and it has a redllight setting that I like for night hiking. I know it is not the ralph lauren of headlamps, but they work great. A friend of mine turned me onto them a long time ago. 3 AAA lithiums will last a long long time. I hike, cook, read, and even fall asleep with it on (not recommended for battery life). just me two cents, matey I tried to get a link, but no luck

charlie babbage

@babbage

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

For most backpacking trips, I don't plan to walk at night, but sleep peacefully. Thus my choice of lighting equipment runs toward the small side…Photon Freedom, Petzl eLite…that sort of thing.

OTOH, when I go on a dayhike I nearly always carry my trusted PT EOS in my pack. My logic here is that the chance of me having to hike out after sunset is greater on a dayhike than on a backpacking trip, thus I want the best headlamp I own, and that's the EOS.

With fresh lithium batteries the EOS will get me safely all the way back to my truck even in dark woods on hard trails. I think that's well worth the extra weight.

Michael

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Actually, I should have mentioned this, I have one of these aswell. I bought it in a remote Western Australian town, after I left my original Tikka on the side of a 4wd track in one of the most remote places in Australia.

I dont treat it very nice, but it seems to work fine and is likely just as durable as the other lights. It doesnt have the battery life of the more upmarket lights, but it does have a reasonably powerful main beam (not Spot or XP like though-more like a Tikka plus), and I agree with Charlie; the red light is good for night hiking, and any close work where you dont need colour vision (can be hard to read maps when you cant see many features on them-contours are hard in red).

Wish mine was only US$12 though….I paid Aus$40, mind you it was a remote place where grocery and fuel prices were almost doubled.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I also have the Princetontech EOS and love it. I use rechargable AAAs with it. Great light!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Brett,

I have a BD headlamp…in my car only B/C I've found a better and lighter headlamp.

Princeton Tech Quad is my current favorite.
    1. Has a REGULATED circuit (FAR longer max light output.)
    2. Works best with lightweight lithium bateries (Petzl lamps don't like lithium batteries.)
    3. Water resistant ti 1 meter.

Eric

Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

Locale: Colorado now!!!

For real weight savings, try the Petzl E*Lite. It weights nearly nothing ~1 oz or close to it. It doesn't use AA or AAA but I have heard reports of the battery lasting 2/3 through a Thru Hike of the AT. That is a long while. I wouldn't use it for night hiking but for everything else you can't beat the size or the weight! Plus it already has the red lights for saving your night vision.

Personally I use a Tikka Plus with the red light filter. I only use it for around the camp. But if I NEED to do some night hiking then I just yank out the filter and go for it.

-Passionphish

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools