Topic

Affordable merino wool base layer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Affordable merino wool base layer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Winchester thermal base layer
    100% "super fine" merino wool
    20.00 USD
    Sold at Walmart. Ive been wearing one to work the last couple of days (no heat)and it seems fine to me, worth the money. Not as fine and high quaility as my Smartwool of coarse -but still its a machine washable wool thermal top for 20.00 bucks!
    Could not find it on thier site though but there in my local store.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

At Walmart? Nice… sporting goods or men's underwear?

Brian UL

@maynard76

In the Sporting section. It is sold as a base layer to the hunters. Im wearing it right now, and Im impressed. But be warned- Ive never had any of the "itchy" problems some people seem to have with wool but, It feels so soft to me I find it hard to belive any one but the most sensitive would have any issue. I think a second pair is in the future? They only came in black and only the XL where left but thats my size. Sizing is on the big side, mabey room for shrinkage? I washed mine and no shrinkage -but I air dried it and didnt use the drier.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I'll definitely check my local walmart's to see if they have'em… of course I recently bought a pair of Icebreaker bottoms… but if nothing else I can compare the two…

frank martin
    BPL Member

@sriprank

Locale: NORCAL

Steep and Cheap has been selling a ton of Icebreaker Layers the past two weeks.

50-60% off. All different weights and styles.

frank

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Yeah, I added to my Christmas bills by picking up a Icebreaker 320 top. I mean, how can you resist!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You might look at minus33.com for lightweight, machine washable and dryable merino layers. I just discovered them and have been very pleased with their products and service. I bought top and bottoms for my son and a balaclava and bottoms for myself. Very soft, very warm, half the price of Icebreaker, although not as cheap as Walmart. Worth looking into.

Craig S Stewart

@cstewart

Locale: Southwest Germany

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for the help finding affordable merino wool. Do you know how much the balaclava weighs?

Alan Garber

@altadude

I checked my Walmart and they didn't have any.
    I am in Maine……..where in New England did you find a Walmart with them?

Thanks
    A

Brian UL

@maynard76

Im in MA the store is in N.Reading.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Craig – the balaclava weighs 50 g. or 1.8 oz. on my postal scale.

Alan Garber

@altadude

Couldn't get the merino at my Walmart but LLBean has its Freeport Sweaters (80%lambswool/20%nylon-machine washable) on sale for 19.95………not on their website-only in the catalogue: codeVG50945–no I don't work or own stock for LLBean………just trying to help out anyone who wants a good deal…….I bought two

David Wills

@willspower3

i was in target the other day and saw 100% merino wool v neck shirt/sweaters on clearance for $21. They were all hanging up with a big "30% off clearance" sign above them. They look nice for town too, although the weave isn't very dense. Definatley worth a gander. I would call it mid-heavy weight for a base layer.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Check the label again. I recall seeing "marino wool" items in Target around the holidays, but forgot about it until now. Does anyone know the difference between the two? Are they one and the same? I'm not having much luck with search engine results online.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

The Merino is a breed of sheep that is bred for wool production, hence the references to "Merino wool". "Marino" is likely to be a mispelling of "Merino".

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If the package or tag says "Marino" — that's not an innocent misspelling at all. Much more likely, that's "regular" wool trying to sound like the better (less itchy) and more expensive thing! Often, you get what you pay for.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I thought Marino retired…

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Actually there's no attempt at deception…there's a BRAND name called "Murano" that sells all kinds of clothing, not just "merino", including some "merino" wool sweaters. I referenced them for $7 in last week's post. They're a good deal!

David Wills

@willspower3

i just checked my sweater which i accidentally washed on hot :(, it is merona brand 100% merino wool. Any suggestions on making it fit again?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Gear Swap??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools