Topic

MYO tent for mountain bike overnighter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYO tent for mountain bike overnighter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    adam leedy

@pedrosandchez

Hello guys,
    Like I mentioned in a thread a few days ago, I am planning a multi-day bike trip on the kokopelli trail.
    See here for the previous thread:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/10763/index.html

For the sake of packing as little as possible I was considering constructing my own tarp tent which would use the bike itself as a pole. Here are a couple of designs I have developed. Keep in mind when looking at these, that the front wheel would be removed, I just couldn't manage to delete it form the model I downloaded.

The first is really simple and I would imagine pretty light weight.bike tent 1

the second is a bit fancier, and I"m sure heavier. However, it has much more room for bringing in the backpack and such.tent 2 atent2b

let me know what you think about the designs and any possible changes.

What material would be the best for use? I'm not looking for it to be used in anything too extreme though it does need to hold up to rain and be as light as possible.

Thanks,
    Adam

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Adam,

Your ideas remind me of the Topeak Bikamper.

http://www.topeak.com/2007/products/biketent/bikamper.php

Their idea is ingenious but it's a poor choice for the weight. Your idea of a bike-mounted tarp is really interesting. Maybe the Topeak can help you work out some details.

For your experiments and application, silnylon would be a good choice. You could also get a simple rectangular tarp to experiment with- you may find that it would fit your needs nicely.

I'm excited to see what you come up with- and welcome to BackpackingLight!

Doug

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Also- you might be interested in this review:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/wingnut_adventure_2006_backpack_review.html

Last, look for my article of mountain bike touring that's coming up in our next print issue of BackpackingLight. It details a 3 day trip down the Umpqua River in Oregon. It's technical singletrack and we were self-contained. You may find some good tips there- it was sure a fun trip!

We mainly used adventure racing packs and shared Tarptents. Inflatable pads kept our packs small. We cooked with alcohol stoves and ti kettles. We used light down bags or quilts and carried flip flops for taking the bike shoes off in camp. It was one of the best trips I've ever taken- beautiful terrain, great friends, and a serious challenge.

Umpqua1

Have a blast on your tour. I love riding at Moab!

Doug

adam leedy

@pedrosandchez

thanks alot for the input. I've seen the topeak before but like you said, for the weight, it simply isn't a good choice. I was really trying to simplify their design to save weight.
    I am considering changing the second design a little bit so that it uses the wheel in one end like the topeak. This would widen the area for the feet. By doing this, and widening the tent as whole, I think I might be able to get it so that two people can sleep comfortably inside (one on either side of the bike).

where is the cheapest place to get si-nylon you mentioned?

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I've used a simple, flat tarp with beaks when bicycle touring. It's the same tarp I've used backpacking. I just used the bike as a vertical support, placed outside the tarp, just like I'd use a hiking pole. The tension in the guyline keeps the bike standing just like it'd keep the hiking pole standing. You could do that with any commercial tarp. I'm sure a fancier, more functional design can be made but this is a simple solution that works and it doesn't depend on the particular bicycle.

On your second design, I'd say the tarp would be too low to be comfortable, I don't think you could sit down without touching the walls. I'd look for a higher attaching point in the bike. Maybe just leave the front wheel on (but then you couldn't use the wheel on the back of the tarp like you suggested last).

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

HI Andy,

Sorry- I don't know about that- I'm not much of a MYOG guy. But if you do a seperate post with the question, I'm sure a reader will have the answer.

I'm with Inaki- A simple rectangular tarp, although not as cool, will suit your needs well. And a lightweight carbon pole would be very nice for not much extra weight.

Personally, I'd look at tarps from Mountain Laurel Designs, Gossamer Gear, and from this site. If you spend your $ on a tarp made out of spinnaker or Cuben fiber (Spectralite or Nano) you will have a tarp that is so light that you'll be able to carry a pole if you need to.

Just an idea. I'd sure love to see your finished product- that's for sure!!!

Best of luck,
    Doug

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

> where is the cheapest place to get si-nylon you mentioned?

it used to be Noah Lamport

http://www.noahlamport.com

ordering may not be as straightforward as the most typical sites for myog. I think you can't even see the fabric in the website but if you mail or phone them, they'll tell you. Latest I knew was $2.75 per yard, 10 yard minimum, $5 cutting charge.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

My two cents come from a few years as a bike mechanic:
    Depending on the weather you expect, I would want my tarp to also cover most of the bicycle, particularly the headset, seat tube (keep water out of the frame), and over the drive train. That pretty much covers the whole bike.

Maybe a modified A-frame over the top of the saddle and handlebars, you sleep on one side of the bike and your gear goes on the other?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools