Topic

Best 2-3 Man Tents Under 4 Pounds and Under $300

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best 2-3 Man Tents Under 4 Pounds and Under $300

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Nick Rider
    Spectator

@nrider

I have been searching for the best 2-3 Man Tent Under 4 Pounds and Under $300. I have come up with a chart, and put it in a Google Doc, so it is easy to break down. WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY?????? Tents This Link below is an Editable Chart. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t7x7N8VoBJwkDkI5UbW37jvfnP5lrIziB7KJnDuMbL4/edit?usp=sharing Please Feel Free to Contribute your Knowledge! Thanks! P.S. – I have tried hammock, tarp and bivy shelters, but I am looking for a tent for covering most of all my trips, so that is what this list reflects.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I know it's $49 more than you want to spend but the TT StratoSpire 2 has a great reputation for bomber reliability at 46 ounces including the stakes. I don't have direct experience with it but I do like my TT Notch which has a similar configuration. I like the dual side vestibules and good ventilation. I also like that I don't have to monkey around with folding and packing any tent poles. Also, double walls…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

nm

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

My lunar duo is single wall. I'm really happy with it.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Why is non-freestanding a con for you? What about the SMD Lunar Duo Explorer? Only $10 over your limit at 41 oz. What about the SMD Haven tarp+nettent? Yes it's $50 over your budget but lighter than anything on your list at 34 oz. They might have an end-of-year sale soon. There's also the LightHeart Gear Duo at $15 over your limit.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Nick, a couple of tents you have listed don't include stakes in the weight and cost. One that you listed as "double wall" isn't . The Tarptent DR can be freestanding with trekking poles but a bit fiddly in that configuration.

Nick Rider
    Spectator

@nrider

Franco – I have made the necessary adjustments to the chart that you pointed out. Thank you! Now all of the weights and prices reflect the tents with stakes in all models. The weight of the trekking poles is not considered, as that will be weight I am already carrying. I removed Double wall spec from the SMD. J.R. – Most of my backpacking is done in the UP of Michigan and the designated camp areas in Pictured Rocks can be very sandy and hard to get a stake to hold with jimmy rigging a rock or something, which can weaken the integrity of the pitch. Also, on Isle Royale the designated camping areas can be very rocky and small which makes a freestanding tent much easier to pitch. So for me a freestanding tent is a bonus. Also, any reason why you recommend SMD over Tarptent? The Squall 2 is cheaper and just as light as the two SMD tents you recommended, and I wondered why? Also, Thanks Matthew and Joe for your knowledge. Keep the recommendations coming. I posted this to learn as much as I could before purchasing from people who know, so thanks!

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I have nothing against TarpTent products, they are excellent. Was only offering additional possible considerations for you. Squall 2: I can only evaluate from pics and website descrip, if I were looking for a 2p shelter my quibbles with it would be a head-end entry and side walls that slope inward, reducing headroom. Also it is a single-wall design. By comparison the Haven has dual side doors and the side walls are vertical, so both people can sit up without their head space being squeezed down. It is a double-wall design and offers the flexibility of setting up just the tarp, just the nettent, or nested. But, the Haven also is a lot narrower overall inside. These are the kind of trade-offs that come down to personal preference and style.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I can't blame anybody for wanting a freestanding tent. I don't use one, but I've got to admit that there's times when it sure is nice to just walk up to a campsite, pull out the poles and BOOM, your tent is set up. With tarps you sometimes need as much length as an airport runway. I think you should consider the MSR Hubba Hubba NX. It's freestanding and weighs 3 lbs 7 oz. Can be bought at Backcountry for $319, maybe cheaper if you look around. And the Hubba would be way more sturdy in the wind than the BA UL2. Bigger too. Front entry on the BA isn't as good either. MSR quality is better than the freestanding tents on your list. SMD usually knocks 20% of everything (except cuben) on Black Friday and keeps the 20% off until Christmas. So if your going to go that route I'd definitely wait 8 days.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Do you need/want room for 2 or 3 people/matts? For only 2 people/matts I would get the TT Double Rainbow. I like the dual side entrances and porch option. For 3 people/matts I would get the TT Rainshadow 2. Not much heavier and fits 3 matts easily. It seems like the lightest option for 3.

Nick Rider
    Spectator

@nrider

Thanks so much for the insight! I was looking ideally for a two man tent that could also house a little bit of gear. I will check out the MSR Hubba Hubba NX and decide if the weight difference is worth the piece of mind of free standing, or whether I can adapt in my travels with non free standing to save weight. You're right, a lot of these answers and tent choices come down to personal preference. No one size fits all.

Nick Rider
    Spectator

@nrider

OK, now that the holiday deals are out and I’ve looked at the recommendations I am torn between 3 or possibly 4 tents.

I am coming from a 5.5 pounds solid 3 person freestanding tent that is bulky and very accommodating. More than likely it will be for myself and my brother, who go on a lot of trips together.

I know its a little heavy, but a lot lighter than what I’m used to, but for $124, the Poly Lunar Duo 2 is kind of what I’m leaning towards for dual vestibules, higher ceilings, lots of space in and out of the tent.  I just don’t like that I have to pitch it with 6 stakes requiring lots of real estate.

I know I am over thinking this, but am I on the right track?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Is there any reason that you have excluded the Tarptent Double Rainbow?  I would go with it or the SMD Silnylon Lunar Duo for the conditions that you describe.  Neither are real light but they offer a fair amount of room for two and they offer full bug protection.

The Double Rainbow can be set up freestanding with trekking poles and it is made in the USA if that matters to you.  (I think all non cuben SMD shelters are now made overseas).

The 190 Poly SMD Lunar Duo is a real bargain if you don’t mind the extra weight.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

If you’re leaning towards the Lunar Duo then I strongly suggest getting the 41 oz version. Current sale price is well under your original budget limit. Don’t compare the 57 oz version to your old tent, that doesn’t matter anymore, compare it to the 41 oz version because that is the actual choice you face. I guarantee you will soon forget altogether about the old tent and would simply regret choosing to carry a full extra pound when you could have gone lighter.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

In my mind, you have ignored two of the very best options..Both of these are 2 person shelters with dual vestibles and seperate fulll double wall bug inners. IMHO, Both blow everything on your list out of the water in terms of cost/weight/performance ratio.

In a non freestanding shelter, the SMD Haven tarp / inner combo at 34 oz and $280 on sale is hard to beat .

For a similar design and size in a freestanding tent, the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2  at 48 oz and $299 shipped from Campsaver is a solid choice.

Just my .02

Nick Rider
    Spectator

@nrider

My brother and I are 240lbs. and 200lbs.  In other words, we take up a lot of space, lol.  I’ve been trying to backpack more to work on that, but I do enjoy my craft brews.

That’s why I have kind of been leaning towards the Lunar Duo and Squall 2 for the width of the floors. And possibly even the rainshadow 2, because it’s huge!

Looking at the Double Rainbow, it lists 50″ wide, but still looks tight with two pads down in there, and it is wider than the Haven tarp, copper spur, and it makes me nervous.  I don’t really want to be spooning my brother, lol.

Do you think the Double Rainbow floor would be comfy or cramped for both of us?

And thank you all for your input, it’s been great!

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

For two big guys any regular 2p shelter is going to be a a snug fit, including the Double Rainbow.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I don’t know what tent you are used to, but any two person tent is cramped for two people.  The Lunar Duo is probably about as big of a two person tent as you will find.  The SMD Lunar Duo has alot of volume inside for two.  I have seen a few Tarptent Double Rainbows but I have never been inside one.

You could go bigger but you probably end over $300.

The Tarptent Hogback would be huge for 2 but is $419, The Cloudburst 3 is $369.

You could also go with a big mid.  A 9×9 mid is a palace for two, but then you have to figure out the bug protection if needed.  Look at Oware, MLD, or Black Diamond.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Most 2 person tents can’t take two 77″x25″ mats without at least overlapping them , the Double Rainbow can.

So if the DR looks a bit small then go for a 3 person tent.

The CB3 could be a nice choice given the total weight and smallish footprint when extra guylines are not needed.

Sets up with 4 pegs but you can add 6 extra ones (or more) if needed.

You can also get a liner that covers all of the top and sides completely isolating you from the fly.

I shot a video showing some bits that are not obvious from the standard set up clip .

YouTube video

( I thought that I was going to upload directly here but i can’t see that option…)

franco@tarptent

OK, that was funny…

All you need to do is insert the link and it comes up.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nick,

The side walls of the Double Rainbow slope inward quite a bit, so living space is pretty tight for two decent sized guys. It’s not way smaller than the average lightweight 2 person tent, but it is small. TarpTent’s SS2 gives you way more space inside for the same weight but it’s a bit trickier to pitch. I know it exceeds your price cap but the SS2 is quite a good tent. I just wrote up a long term review of mine after 200 nights:

IntoCascadia: Long Term Review – Tarptent StratoSpire2

Aaron Madsen
    BPL Member

@muleaaron

Locale: Far NorCal

If you go the Lunar Duo route, definitely spring for the lighter tent. I have had mine since the spring and love it. I chose it over the competition (although I’m sure the TT or Lightheart would have been fine) mainly because of how spacious it is inside. Not just floor area, but actual useable volume. It also made it through a nasty thunderstorm and heavy wind on the Teton Crest Trail with flying colors.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools