Topic

Do you use trekking pole straps?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Do you use trekking pole straps?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

That BPL article describes how I use mine too. On flat ground and climbs, I plant the pole about the same spot as my heel and use it for propulsion. On the flats I'll often go strap-free, but on uphill slogs I put my weight on the straps. Downhill, I tend to take the straps off and palm the top of the handle instead.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I only use straps for snowshoeing. And I don't use poles at all for quite a bit of my hiking, because I don't need them for slight ups and downs and flats, in which case I just hold them horizontally in 1 hand and carry them. Since I end up carrying them so much, this is why I've come to like really light poles, such as the ones I assembled recently after reading the MYOG article. They're 101.5g each and plenty strong. There are a couple of tricks I use on some longer climbs where I sorta/kinda wish I had something to help relieve hand fatigue, and they involve how the pole is gripped. The grip design is everything, and after using the GG grips I now understand why so many folks rave about them… First photo shows a GG Kork-a-lon grip and its basic shape, etc.pole grip 1 Second photo shows it being grasped with my thumb on top, which enormously reduces hand fatigue.pole grip 2 Third photo shows something I remembered from long ago, involving the way weightlifters use the thumb to "lock" the index finger for a better grip. (The other 3 fingers are sticking out so the "lock" technique can be seen.)pole grip 3

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I use a looser version of #3 that Bob pictured.. i hike like i ski.. tap along until i need a more solid pole plant for balance. Didn't see anything in the article that shows that your poles push you forward. :shrug: "While I'm not much of a bicyclist, I was educated about those foot pedal straps years ago, and how one gets more "propulsion" out of their pedaling by using them. And while all the serious bicyclist folks out there use clips, I'm sure there are days when they might just "get in the way"." you're in luck! i ride between 3-4000mi/year. Toe straps and clipless pedals(with cleats you click in) allow you to pull upward on the pedal while your other side is pushing down. This allows you to eliminate some of the dead spot in the 360 degree pedal stroke. This is especially helpful while accelerating and going up steep hills. They also keep your foot centered over the pedal spindle in the spot that gives you the best power. for me, riding without them is more annoying than without.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

To understand propulsion forward just imagine using poles while being on skates or skis. As you push backwards with the poles you’re going to go forward. The poles are moving you forward. The only difference with walking is you’re moving your legs, but because the legs are moving doesn’t mean you’ve lost the forward thrust from the pole.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

On occasion. I carry them most of the tome and they support my shelter. I use them for the sketchy stretches and for water crossings. my hands go numb if I grip for too long and the straps buy me some time before that happens.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Pacer Poles always (even with skis); never, ever use straps.m

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use straps all the time in the cross country ski style. It allows a loose grip and more support if you do put more weight on the pole. I flick the pole ahead and walk up to it. For a big step up, I plant both poles and push. Going down rock and root steps, I plant one or two poles ahead and step down to it, depening on the difficulty and load I am carrying.

David Ure

@familyguy

I use trekking poles but mainly for stability over rough ground. I don't depend on them for movement. Therefore, I cut them off. They are good for skiing when you need to use poles for propulsion but for backpacking, they are comnpletey redundant.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Dos Equis trekking poles

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

If I'm going to bring poles, I'll use the straps. If I wasn't putting enough weight on the poles to need the straps, why bring the poles? From reading the thread it seems like whether folks find straps to be useful depends mostly on what they use their poles for. If you use them for balance the straps aren't necessary, but if you use them to reduce strain on knees or for propulsion the straps are pretty useful. I love my poles for stuff like off trail hiking in the Grand Canyon – having two extra appendages to plant in the ground while descending steep terrain benefits my knees and also provides stability. Without straps I couldn't comfortably put as much weight on my hands as I do. They are useful for uphill as well but not as much for me as for downhill. They are also excellent for setting South Kaibab personal record times when hiking uphill. Not sure I could hike 3 mph on that trail without them.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools