Topic

Brompton folder

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Brompton folder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Should I buy a Brompton folding bicycle? I want a bike. After having almost all of them stolen I really want something I can take with me. Very pricey from my economic point of view, but damn, they're a brilliant design. Rode one last weekend in Sacramento, feels normal. Sure I might look like a circus bear on a tiny bike. But who cares?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You are tall aren't you? If the one you rode felt okay, then I'd say go for it. Don't most have about 3 gears? Are you only interest in 16 inch wheels or would a Bike Friday not work?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bike Friday Pocket Llama, yum! Bromptom are cool flatlander urban vehicles. Folders and trains are a perfect match. David Byrne takes a folder on his concert tours.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well Chico is flat. Bike Fridays are more expensive than a Brompton. Too bad that the BF folds with the chain ring exposed. I am 6'3" with a 32 inseam. Brompton offers 6 speeds. I'll never use 21

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nigel Healy has one Ken.

Dave T

@davet

I know that Bike Friday makes some bikes for taller people like us. I looked into getting one, but didn't in the end. My bike strategy is have lots of nice ones that never get left anywhere, and a beater commuter (Japanese 70s road bike converted to singlespeed) to lock up (with a big lock). Welcome to flatland Ken!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I wanna Rohloff hub and a belt drive :) Marin Sausalito

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Where do you keep them all safe Dave? I have had two locked up bikes stolen off my gated patio, One stolen out of my garage when I left the door open for half an hour. One stolen out of a "secure" storage facility by the management that loaded a truck up one night and cleared out. And the one stolen off a street sign post, must have had a buddy to lift that high. With a rechargeable grinder and a cutoff wheel no lock is secure. Any child can be taught to pick a lock also. I am a believer that the bike that gets ridden most is the one you have with you.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Amazing. I see your issues— and feel your pain!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools