Topic

Winter trail snacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Winter trail snacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Froese

@alwayscurious

I just got in from an afternoon of snowshoeing, and was frustrated with the stiffness of my favorite fruit bar trail snacks. I'm thinking that bite-size snacks will be easier to eat – maybe cashews and Reese's Pieces.

What are your favorite winter trail snacks?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A bag of walnuts, dried pineapple, and dark chocolate M&M's (they're the ones in the purple bags).

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I've got nearly the same recommendation as Kathleen. Only I substitute Brazil nuts and prefer them unroasted to maintain their powerhouse supply of nutrients and then add some roasted/salted cashews for my flavor/salt fix.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Homemade fudge. The stuff is the best on trips in the winter, full of fat and calories :-D
    Otherwise? Potato chips and dried apricots in single serving packs to keep them fresh.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I've become addicted to Planters Mix for Pistachio lovers. It has cashews, pistachios, brazilian (I think)and maybe almonds…not sure. I'm honing in to the pistachios. I don't pay much attention to the rest of the nuts.

I used to cut up my favorite energy bars into tiny squares when I biked. It made it easy to eat and pop in my mouth when riding those long rides.

Matthew Froese

@alwayscurious

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Big Sur Bars!

These are brilliant. They stay reasonably soft, pack MASSIVE calories, and are the best tasting bars on the planet!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

one thing you can do to avoid the stiffness of your trail snacks on day trips is to tuck them into an OP Sak (www.watchfuleyedesigns.com) and then keep that in an interior pocket of your jacket… if you get too warm though you might melt anything chocolate but this works great for trail bars and such.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools