Topic

Wright Lakes-Wallace Lake Basins via Shepherd Pass 9/24-29

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wright Lakes-Wallace Lake Basins via Shepherd Pass 9/24-29

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"not to hijack this thread, but since you mentioned whitney, tom – i had relatively low expectations for the highest point in the 48, and was utterly blown away. i'm not sure photographs do it justice, especially the views west-ish, back into the park. hiking up in the dark and spending an hour or so at the seeming roof of the world is something i'll never forget…also we were lucky – the middle of the week in late september meant there were only six or seven other folks up there with us. though a couple of them spent the entire time barking at each other about the pizza they were going to eat in lone pine. a less discussed form of acute mountain sickness i guess. ;)." Definitely not hijacking, Ben. More like a natural extension of a conversation that Whitney was already very much a part of, and your experiences fit right in. I will also say you really got it right, from how you made the final ascent to your good fortune in finding the summit practically deserted. That is about as good as it gets up there. If those guys were babbling about pizza at The Pizza Factory in Lone Pine, it was definitely acute AMS. No healthy person would wax ecstatic over their pizza. ;0)) @Ken Thanks for the kind words, Ken. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Donny W
    Spectator

@detroit-donny

Hey Tom,

I’m thinking of heading up that way soon, is it possible for you to email me a route you took? Mostly where you were off trail to Wright lakes and Wallace? Thanks

Donny

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

How  did I miss this ’till now?

Thank you so so much for taking the time and putting in the work required to post this incredible trip report. One of the best I have read. The pictures are amazing and you brought the journey to life with your narrative. Thank you.

I hope to hike with you soon my friend.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

AWESOME TOM!!!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to you both. It was a great experience, and that made writing it up relatively easy.

I’m really glad you both enjoyed it.

@Kat
    . It’s at the top of my list for next season. :0)

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools