Topic

Toaks vs Optimus long handle spoon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Toaks vs Optimus long handle spoon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Quick Cal
    Spectator

@quick_cal

Locale: (null)

I'm wanting to get a long handle spoon for eating out of Mountain House meal type bags, or even freezer bags. What ever. The Toaks is 8.5" long. It comes with a little stuff sack I figure you could make good use of. Like toiletries or something. But the Optimus is 10". Do you guys find the 8.5" Toaks to be sufficent. Or would it be nice to have it a little longer. Thanks

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I replaced the Optimus long spoon (see below) with the folding version because it's so much easier to pack. It's a keeper. I also suggest a spoon with a polished bowl…the Toaks has a rough bowl that doesn't feel good in the mouth and is harder to clean up. Not sure where you see a 10" Optimus TI spoon…mine was 8.5" as available from Amazon.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I replaced the Optimus long spoon (see below) with the folding version because it's so much easier to pack. It's a keeper. I also suggest a spoon with a polished bowl…the Toaks has a rough bowl that doesn't feel good in the mouth and is harder to clean up." +!

Quick Cal
    Spectator

@quick_cal

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

My optimus spoon is also 8.5" in length. I would hate a non polished spoon. Keep in mind the Toaks spoons are available with either a polished or a rough bowl. The polished generally costs about a buck more. I know some folks around here have used a series of progressively finer sandpapers to polish their own spoons. That seems like a fair bit of work for what might cost an extra dollar or two.

Quick Cal
    Spectator

@quick_cal

Well I found this one from China. I hate ordering from China. Takes for ever to get, if you get it,,,,lol. https://www.fasttech.com/product/2181701-edcgear-multi-function-titanium-long-handle-spork I would really like a spork so I could eat Ramon noodles. You guys have any luck eating them with a spoon. So here's a few options if I want a spork if you guys say I really need one for noodles. I'm in machine shop class. 1. I could turn a polished spoon into a spork. Shouldn't be too hard. 2. I could wait on the unpolished spork from China and just try to polish it. Does unpolished titanium have a coating on it? Or could I just start buffing. I do have a commercial grade buffer that I buff motorcycle parts with. But this China spork doesn't look like it has very big tines. What do you guys think about that. 3. I could just get a shorter polished spork. I think I seen one. But that defeats the purpose. 4. I could just deal with eating noodles with a spoon. Before you guys go saying I'm crazy wanting to turn a spoon into a spork, I just advanced to the next class. Then teacher told us to come up with some projects,,,lol. So this would be for a grade.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

A long handled bamboo spoon. Wander through kitchen tools till you find the right one. Sand and adjust as desired. Doesn't clank on teeth, is never cold and won't scratch pots. I own many types of bamboo utensils. Some are made for the outdoors, others were not.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

Cal your other option is to simply buy the long handled polished bowl spork made by Toaks. Toaks spork Once more I understand that defeats the point of your project, but I thought other might like to know that it exists. There seems to be a continually ongoing existential conversation around here about the perfect backcountry utensil. Few items are so controversial!

Quick Cal
    Spectator

@quick_cal

I didn't know that existed. I couldn't find one like that anywhere. Screw the project,,,,lol. I'm off to search more. Looks like I gotta go straight to Toaks. Thanks for the tip.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

To address a Q from the OP, I recently picked up a folding Optimus spoon and it's too short to eat out of a Packit Gourmet bag without putting your fingers in the bag. It's probably borderline ok for freezer bags. I'd rather a 10" folding spoon. The search continues… ::big sigh::

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

Personally, I have settled on using a plastic long handled spoon. Easy on the mouth, easy on the pots, weighs less than some of the ti spoons, costs less, no metal scraping sounds, and heat transfer doesn't cause for an uncomfortably hot spoon in the mouth. my plastic spoon (plastic) – 8.5", 0.56oz, $2 sea to summit alpha light (aluminum) – 8.5", 0.4oz, $9 (not polished) vargo long handle spoon (titanium) – 8.5", 0.5oz, $15 (not polished) optimus long spoon (titanium) – 8.5", 0.67oz, $10 (polished) toaks long spoon (titanium) – 8.625", 0.65oz, $11 (polished) toaks long spoon (titanium) – 8.625, 0.57, $10 (not polished) I'm sure I missed some in the list above. But, for the absolute lightest long spoon, go with the sea to summit hard anodized aluminum spoon. The spoons with the polished bowls weighed in at the heavy end of the spectrum. Odd that the toaks polished is listed as heavier than the unpolished. Maybe they have to use a thicker piece of titanium to stand up to the polishing. I have used a couple of the folding/collapsible spoons in the past, but I got annoyed that there were joints and hinges that could get gunked up with food and it made it harder to clean. So I stopped obsessing about having my spoon fit in my pot, and just toss it in my food bag with everything else. Isn't it silly to obsess over something like a spoon. But, I have! And after trying a half dozen spoons, I returned to the first one I bought….

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

We have a long handled Toaks spoon and it has a polished bowl. Did they change the design recently? http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium-Handle-Spoon-Polished/dp/B00J1BV01C [ETA link] One thing to consider with bamboo/wood is the potential to hold onto odors/flavors. Without a soapy rinse, I always found my breakfast tasted a bit too much like my dinner when using a wooden spoon.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

One thing about commercial bamboo spoons (for eating, not cooking ones) is they are finished. So they clean easily….

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

#ERROR!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"If I ate out of a freeze dried food bag (I tried once and never again)" A bit of drift.. Jeffrey what was the biggest issue there for you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools