Topic

“Toughening up” running shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Toughening up” running shoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Does anybody have advice about applying shoe goo, seam sealer, or something similar to the outside of running shoe uppers to prevent them from getting all ripped up? I love my light zero drop shoes, but the uppers keep getting ripped up on the outside of the foot just behind my little toe and just above where the uppers join the sole. It happens with pretty much whatever shoes I wear, and long before the soles start getting worn out. it's not the fit; they just get abraded on all these nasty New England rocks. I'd like to paint on something to make them tougher, maybe an inch or so high and running from the toe cup to the heel cup on the outside, so the uppers will last as long as the soles. This group collectively must have worn out millions of pairs of shoes, and tried almost as many ways to prolong their life. Anybody have one that actually worked? Thanks, and Happy Trails!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Shoe Goo has worked. It's pretty tough. Not too thick. Cheers

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

I use Seam Grip for this purpose, a 1oz tube does 1 pair of shoes for me. The Seam Grip is used to coat the top of the toes, and any fabric/mesh about 30mm up from the sole joint with the uppers, and all sewn seams.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Another vote for Shoe Goo. I've used it to "stitch" ripped uppers and to pour a whole new sole onto shoes. It's pretty tough.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Does anyone bother to carry Shoe Goo on the trail for repairs? Are there small tubes available?

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Yes. Google "shoe goo 1 oz". Freesole also makes a 1oz tube.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Someone here recommends a tube of fishing wader repair glue. UV activated and very durable supposedly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools