Topic

Ruta Locura Jetboil Stove Kit w/BRS-3000T Stove (Review)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ruta Locura Jetboil Stove Kit w/BRS-3000T Stove (Review)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Previous discussions here and here In a DIY nutshell "This creates a wonderful option to assemble a JetBoil system for under 9 oz for less than $60 by getting a JB Sol Al Companion cup for $38, a BRS-3000T for $11 and a riser disk for $10. A JB Zip would be roughly 33% heavier (12 oz) and roughly 33% more expensive ($80)."

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice writeup on a system that I really like. I use the Sol Al cup and have posted my hacks on this site. One of which solves the lid issue for me: A Philadelphia cream cheese lid (8oz, I think???) snaps super tight and weighs 5g! No rubber band needed and has proven very durable. For those who don't want plastic above their boiling water, for <1g you can include an oversized piece of aluminium foil to use when boiling. Kudos to Ruta Locura and Gary Dunckel for integrating the BRS so nicely, and to Curt Peterson for his great threads on the JB hacks.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Thanks for posting those forum links and the aluminum cup option. And the cream cheese lid is brilliant! It would be valuable to assemble a list / description of top Jetboil hacks and publish in one spot as a BPL article, include some ideas from around the web, as well as forums here and anything (kits, parts) commercially available. I'm wondering if any of you JB hacking experts out there would be interested in writing up an article summarizing key hacks in an article form that we can publish? If so contact us at [email protected] or just send the proposal in directly via our authors page.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Didn't Jetboil issue a Cease & Desist order against John Abela for publicizing his hacks? Seeing as how they forced MSR to change the name of the Windboiler, their legal department budget must be larger than that funding R&D.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

If the BPL search function becomes solid with the new web site design, I'd bet that somebody could scrounge up all the relevant posts that relate to any JB hacks and list them in one place for easy access.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

How much water did you boil, how long did it take, and how many grams of fuel were used?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Is there any long term reviews on this system?

I usually use a Caldera Cone, but my Dad will be going with me on a 12 day trip this summer and am thinking an integrated stove system, especially a light one like this, may make sense?

How much water can you realistically boil in the 0.8L cup at one time?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I have found that these pots can be filled almost to the rim, with the caveats being 1) the stove is on a stable, flat surface and 2) the heat is turned off just as the water reaches a full boil, right on the verge of a vigorous, rolling boil.

The problem arises when the water reaches a full, rolling boil and is splashing/spurting out the top and the pot is physically shaking due to the bubbling action. Not the end of the world as long as it’s just water, but you don’t want boiling water splashing on your hands when trying to turn off the valve or when picking up the pot.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I wasn’t completely happy with the way the I had to finagle the BRS3000T pot supports into the SOL cup so I have ordered another BRS3000T (at that price – they aren’t a huge investment) and plan on dremeling the pot supports smaller so they fit into the pot easier.  Another option would be to cut the lip off the bottom of the SOL cup, but that would be non reversible and a replacement pot, if I wanted one, would be hard to find and a lot more expensive than a BRS3000T.

Has anyone tried anything like this?  I would love to hear your experiences.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

Does anyone know how this stove coupled with a Jetboil compares to the stock Jetboil in windy conditions?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I bought a regular BRS3000T as well and it seems to fit inside the jetboil cup better than the modified one.  With the ring that sits on the flux ring, I wonder if there are any real negatives to using the unmodified BRS with the jetboil pot?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Yesterday I did several boils with the “regular” BRS 3000 and jetboil and it seemed to boil fine. I wish I had weighed the canister before and after but to be honest I didn’t think there was enough fuel in that old canister (one of the old wide msr 4oz ones) to bring it to a boil. I wouldn’t think the “regular” BRS 3000 would act any different than the “modified” BRS 3000 as the mod doesn’t change the distance from the burner to the pot.

I would love to figure out a simple and light way to add wind protection though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools