Topic

Rain Pants – are they worth it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain Pants – are they worth it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

Please help! Leaving on the Wonderland Trail journey this Friday, and there are 4 consecutive rain days in the forecast. My experience with laminated options here in the PNW is that things get soaked after a long exposure to precipitation. Or if they don't get completely soaked, it's a challenge to dry them out overnight. I was thinking maybe a garbage bag will do, but my hiking partner is suggesting rain pants (REI brand, I believe called "elements"). My original plan was to bring my simple Montbell wind pants. My main concern is how effective the laminate option will be at keeping my legs dry in these conditions. keeping wet things in a small tent and then putting wet things on that are hard to dry the next day is my worst nightmare. Any votes for the plain old garbage bag method vs. laminate rain gear? I would also appreciate any last minute creative suggestions for the rain mitts. I don't mind getting somewhat wet when moving, as long as I'm not freezing cold…Cold wet hands at higher elevations may be a concern as my fingers are sensitive and get frozen easily. All your suggestions are much appreciated!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

REI Elements is a brand name that covers a whole gamut of different waterproof/breathable fabrics. I have one pair marketed as Elements Ultra Light (sic) rain pants that weigh 12.2oz — go figure! I don't think it is necessary to buy expensive rain pants. They get trashed and I don't think they need to breathe like top shells do. Spending the money on features like full side zips may be more useful. Marmot Precip comes to mind. And I'll bet you could get by with something like Red Ledge too. One trick is to wear silkweight long johns when you will be facing a day of rain and wet brush. Women have lots light weight tights to choose from that would work for all day wear under rain pants too. Once your wind pants wet out, I'm afraid they will stay wet, so I wouldn't depend them for rain. I would get a true rain skirt before hiking for days in a garbage sack.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

What exactly do you think laminated clothing is? I use a floorless pyramid tent because I can get in there with wet rain gear and leave the rain gear on the ground away from my groundsheet. Moisture doesn't accumulate in a big bathtub of nylon. How cold will it be when it rains? My concern would be keeping warm not dry. Rain pants will definitely keep you warmer in cold rain. Based on your name I'm assuming you are a female. I've noticed that women get colder much easier than men, especially when they get wet.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

I've had luck using a trash compacter bag with the bottom cut out as a rain skirt/kilt. Coupled with full length gaiters for muddy conditions and a good rain jacket, this setup served me very well all over the northeast in some rather bad conditions. It is not ideal in very high winds or when you have to do a lot of high stepping… so maybe or maybe not for that trail. My hands get very, very cold very quickly in rain and for years I have used powerstretch liners under silnylon stuff sacks. The liners may get slightly damp from internal condensation, but I carry a separate dry pair and switch off every day in prolonged bouts of rain. Very light and fully waterproof after I sealed the seams on the stuff sacks.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Having wet legs while moving is not the same as having wet legs while stationary. Having a plan to dry off should be just as important as trying to not get wet. The more you plan on not getting wet, the more you should plan on how to get dry. Being that as it may, how much of a risk is it for you to remain wet? How long are you going out? Is it worth an extra 10oz or so to improve your chances to stay dry? And perhaps warmer? Personally, I use my Montbell wind pants as much as possible, unless I'm dealing with hypothermic conditions. Wind pants may wet out quick, but in my experience, they dry out more quickly than many other heavier garments. Wind pants and creative trash bag thinking (or a poncho) could go a long way.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

If your just trying to stay dry, somewhat, I would choose the garbage bag or as I use a ULA Rain Wrap. If your worried about getting cold, then I would use rain pants. As far as rain gloves go, I recently sold my Zpacks I believe first gen white gloves and they fit really nice but didn't breath as good as I would have liked. The new ones breath less and I have read a couple negative comments as far a durability or wear spots easier. Just what I have read elsewhere. I did purchase a pair of MLD rain mitts a couple months ago that I have yet to need, and I find the thumb a little off, but the reports I have read say these a more breathable than any of the breathable cuben Zpacks has used to date. I plan on using them more in late fall or cold winter use.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

In a prolonged (multi-day) rain event you will get wet…either from rain or from condensation or from perspiration. I have never found any "waterproof apparel" regardless of material or construction (pit-zips, etc) that will keep you dry in those conditions. Given that scenario, i.e., you will be wet, it may be best to consider rain gear as something to help keep you warm. This blog post sums it up well. Another option I see many PNW hikers promote is a poncho, which does not need to be breathable. Lastly, if the temperature is such that you won't be cold if wet, then I just accept getting wet. It's relatively easy to dry off and put on dry clothes once in your shelter at the end of the day…assuming of course you have managed to keep you gear dry :) When it's hot, I actually enjoy hiking in the rain and being wet…at least I'm not hot and sweaty. –edited to fix the link

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

"I don't think it is necessary to buy expensive rain pants. They get trashed and I don't think they need to breathe like top shells do. Spending the money on features like full side zips may be more useful….One trick is to wear silkweight long johns when you will be facing a day of rain and wet brush." ^^^What Dale said, if it's cool enough. Side zips give lots of ventilation when it's not pouring rain and you can leave them open from waist to knee. Being wet doesn't always mean being uncomfortable. Being damp and comfy(not hot or cold) beats being buttoned up in rain gear at temps you'll sweat heavily in it. If it's warm enough, I'd rather just be wet, and have dry socks and sleep clothes. A poncho is good for those in between temps if you're not hiking through brush or overgrown trails. Living in the South, I put on rain gear in camp after changing into something dry a lot more often than I hike in it.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

If your rain top is cut long then silnylon rain chaps can be a great option. Cheap, quite waterproof as such things go, and you still get good (crotch) ventilation. Sierra Designs recently came out with a "new" rain system that includes a cagoule and chaps, so the idea is almost mainstream at this point. Chaps vs. rain kilt/skirt is probably a wash- both can be made from cheap impermeable fabrics but still ventilate well. OTOH I understand that the Wonderland is well maintained, not brushy, so a poncho might indeed work well there. (I'm otherwise not a great fan- they are hell for bushwhacking.)

David Ure

@familyguy

I recently received a MLD Rain Kilt and it is quite awesome. If you are wearing tall gaiters, there will be virtually no rain hitting your legs. Lots of ventilation and 2.6 oz.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Frankly, no. I have never met a pair that actually kept you dry. Unless you bundle up with rubber wading boots, they do not last for more than a half hour or so. Your feet get wet, your socks get wet, your pants get wet. Even gaiters don't help. If you manage to seal out all moisture (as in wearing wading boots) your legs and feet get wet from perspiration. Same for a rain jacket or poncho. Rain jackets work fine for 15 minutes or so. They are nice for sleeping on wet ground, doubling as a short ground cloth. Even the big ticket items always wet out after a half hour, even at 35F. They simply get overwhelmed by the amount of perspiration coming off my body, soo, they end up as wet inside as out. And they smell pretty bad by the third day of rain… Pancho's do not work well. They are always snagging on something, eventually tearing or loosening the seams enough to leak badly. Here in the ADK's pancho's are sort of the mark of a rookie. Or, a very rich person that can change them every 7 days of use… Dest is get some thin, silk weight undergarmets. They weigh very little and prevent you from feeling the cold drops. A wool overlayer, like a merino wool midweight, is about the heaviest I go. I simply add two if it is cold out, but, I have never needed more than one while hiking down to about 35-40F. The main trouble is you get wet and stay that way till you set up camp. This can be difficult if you are not used to being wet. Sores can develop in odd places, hands, shoulders, hips and crotch. A bit of corn starch helps…just a light dusting.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

For me? Absolutely. I just spent a week out in the boonies in Alaska including a couple days slogging by myself cross-country, often in the cold rain and wading through water, with wet feet the whole time, including a couple of crossings of cold rivers. I would not have considered for a moment not having rain pants. Right now there are thousands of hard-corp, experienced hunters and hikers out in the mountains of Alaska. Nearly all will be carrying rain pants or chaps. For me rain gear is most important in classic hypothermia conditions, some combo of cold, wet and windy. Personally, rain gear keeps me a heck of a lot drier than no rain gear. Sure, I might have some condensation inside but my clothing isn't dripping with water like it would be without it. To prevent overheating I remove insulating layers, vent my rain gear as necessary and slow down. Having rain gear, including rain pants, is an enormous comfort and safety issue in bad conditions. Sure, in some warm conditions I'll leave the rain pants home, but for me it's the exception rather than the rule. As for drying stuff out at night, in most cases I don't even try. I have dry sleeping gear and in the morning I take a deep breath, put my wet stuff on, and start walking which will warm me up. For hands, event or GoreTex shells with fleece mitten liners might work well for backpacking where finger dexterity needs are temporary.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

They are for me! I especially find them invaluable for walking through wet brush. They keep the water off of my skin, help keep my legs warm, and absorb most of the friction of contact with the brush. And the brush will be wet for a long time after the rain stops. When possible. allow the rest of your hiking party go ahead of you (and thus knock off most of the water from the brush). Being Tail-end Charlie after a big rain is a good thing. I agree with the comments that during an on-going rain, you will eventually get wet legs if only from condensation inside the pants. One negative to wearing light, easy to dry trail runners is that they will wet out quickly, soaking your socks, which then wick water up to your pant cuffs, which wick it higher, etc. A simple DWR coating on wind pants will wet out quickly. I usually wear my rain pants over my long hiking pants if the temperatures are going to drop – which they will during the rain – and stay there for an extended time. Yes, my shoes, socks, and feet will get wet in any extended rain; they are designed for and can take it. Granted, I have a pair of the original 4 ounce GoLite Reed pants (before the added ankle zips), so there is no real weight penalty, and the rain pants give me something to wear while doing laundry in town or in camp. Your skin is waterproof by design. If modesty and the brush density will allow it, hike naked through the rain. You'll be warmer that way than in wet clothing and you'll get a bath as well.

jh
    Spectator

@woodpewee

I don't always bring rain pants, but really appreciate them for at least two situations. 1. On trails (I think most often of sections of the Northville-Placid Trail in the Adirondacks) where walking through after or during rain is more like a "car wash" or a "douglas fir car wash" for extra bristle action. Going through in May, for instance, you are hit with cold droplets from shoulder to toe every foot. I've found a dri-ducks poncho and rain pants work the best for me. I would be pretty uncomfortable (eventually) without rain pants, especially with how often you have to stop to get past blow-down. Even when the trail is grown in, my poncho never seems to get snagged or ripped. 2. Crossing glaciers, large plateaus or long ridge lines when it's cold, windy or rainy up there. They make a difference. I usually put them on over shorts, and then take them off during the descent. Wind pants and regular pants might also work here, but rain pants are warmer and much appreciated.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"Your skin is waterproof by design. If modesty and the brush density will allow it, hike naked through the rain. You'll be warmer that way than in wet clothing and you'll get a bath as well." There have been many times where I wanted to hike shirtless, but every backpack I've ever used chaffed my shoulders. Something about the mesh that's used on the shoulder straps.

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Thanks for the insight! it seems my expectations are bit unrealistic: i want to stay warm, i want to stay dry and carry as little weight as possible too. i'd better choose my poison and perhaps, all three:) To provide some background, I'm going on a 10 day trip, 8-12 miles per day, which does not sound much by a through hiker standard, but it is for me as I'm not in too of a good shape and there is an approximately 20,000 foot total elevation gain for the entire trail. So weight is a consideration. The forecast for the first 5 days of our hike calls for a chance of showers (30% to 90%). So the bad weather is moving in, and is staying in, for God knows how long, and it's pretty consistent forecast around the state. Several high points around the trail are at 6K feet, which may not sound much, but the trail is encircling a major glaciated peak and often creates its own weather. Low elev. (elev=1,000ft) high temperatures are expected at 66-70F, lows at 52-55. Snow level on the mountain is dropping down considerably next week, now it's at 12K ft, and is expected to drop to 9K ft by Monday. If I'm reading this correctly, it will be consistently cold and rainy. Not sure about the wind, but it's a mountain with exposed ridge hiking, so I'd expect it. I didn't expect such bad weather, I guess poor planning on my part, but all my hiking gear has always been catered to rather sunny mountain weather with an occasional rain, but I never left on a hiking trip knowing before hand the weather will be consistently wet. I would just cancel or got lucky. But now , because of permitting and planning, I am committed to do it. So my still contemplated options are: REI rainwall pants (already got a pair) + Patagonia capelin vs. Montbell wind pants + patagonia capeline. Weight penalty of around 6 oz Golite goretex jacket vs. Marmot essence , weight penalty of around 5 oz I got a pair of Novara cycling over gloves at REI as at this point I don't have enough time to get anything from a cottage store. They are pretty lightweight and I'm anxious to see how they perform.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

This is one of those instances where you are going to have to make a tough decision. Sounds like your experience in the anticipated weather conditions may be pretty sparse. Major kudos for sticking to your plans in the face of a less-than-optimal forcast…that kind of resolution will serve you well if the weather turns bad. If you are looking for a clear and unambiguous suggestion…If I knew I would be in hiking in rain/wind in the low 50s for several days, i,e. living in my rain gear, I'd wear my full-on Goretex ProShell. It's the safest (and heaviest) route, but remember that in that case it's on your body not on your back (pack) and that does make a difference.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

For the specific conditions you are describing, I would go with REI rainwall pants + Patagonia capelin and Golite goretex jacket. Do your best to reduce condensation due to overheating by removing layers worn inside your rain gear.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

The people here who seem to think that raingear is useless have clearly never hiked in a COLD rain. Yes, your skin is waterproof. Yes, you'll still get wet under your raingear. This is not the point. The big point was made near the top- rain gear acts like a wetsuit. If you're hiking in very cold and wet conditions it keeps cold water from constantly sluicing over you, robbing you of heat and driving you into hypothermia. Do you need raingear in Hawaii? No, probably not. I have certainly hiked in warm rains without raingear. Do you need it in Alaska? Absolutely yes. So, do you need it in August in Rainier National Park? I would argue that at least the jacket is a good idea. Bottoms are arguable, but I'd take one. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that expensive WPB fabrics are pointless, and I'm better off with a (cheap) impermeable membrane. Because as I said, if it's hot, do you really need the raingear? And, of course, I have been properly brainwashed by BPL and now accept wet feet as a given. No way to avoid that one.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I only take rain pants in the Rockies to deal with the often intense afternoon thunderstorms. I've sat out an hour storm on the Colorado Trail and several half hour storms. Nice to have the pants – except when you're hauling them up a steep 10,000 ft. trail. I use REI Kimtah eVent parka and pants. Not the lightest but very durable in brush. BTW, I also use low eVent gaiters that I've modded with Velcro closures at the heel for fast on and off. They "mind the gap" between rain pant bottoms and mid height boot tops. I also use these gaiters when I backpack W/O rain pants to keep my socks dry.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I think many have misinterpreted what I wrote. Yes, I do carry a rain jacket. When it is raining, I do wear it. But, it does not keep me dry. Pretty much the same for pants. But I quit carrying these many years ago. They always got wet, even when I used gaiters over them or under them. They are much worse since they pick up moisture from the scrub. The contact and abrasion are enough to wear them out rapidly. Your feet are always wet. Your socks are wet. Your pants WILL get wet. I wear a pair of quick dry RailRiders or ilk. if I get a break in the rain, they dry up in about an hour. They take a bit longer with silk under them. As far as cold rain, at 35-40f it is usually a heavy mist, much like being near a waterfall. Sometimes you see snow in the air. Yup, you will get wet. This is where the wet suit concept really works. There is really no solid defense against wet weather while you are moving. Wet from outside or wet from inside, they are wet. After you stop, you can set up your tarp and get into your sleeping cloths (always dry,) cook supper and sleep. Not a lot to see in foggy wet weather. In warmer temps, I often don't carry rain gear. It really doesn't matter.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

they are highly water resistant, dry quickly and considerably more breathable than laminate waterproof rain pants. Legs (for both men and women) typically take less insulation to keep warm than your upper body. my biggest enemy is sweat. wearing rain pants in the conditions you describe, even with side zippers open I'd be sweating. I'd rather be slightly damp from the outside in than from the inside out. unless the rain was monsoonal, and it wasn't too warm, i'd be wearing light soft shell pants (in schoeller dynamic) or tights and if warm, running shorts (for added comfort, have pack towel to wipe down legs when stopped), in both cases without the wind pants. I’d slip the wind pants on when stopped if chilled. i've hiked/climbed with women who have done the same thing and have been happy with the outcome. while not part of your question, do you have your underwear system dialed in. I’d be packing a variety of precut moleskin, salves, creams, ointments and balms to address the variety of nasty things that can happen with moist skin. I’d be drying my feet as often as I could and wouldn’t sleep with socks (trench foot is bad). I’d stick with a synthetic brief that gives some inner thigh protection, think under armour heatgear. good luck and have fun.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I wear waterproof breathable jacket. Bigger around for more air space and more breathability. Down to just above my knees. If it's just cool or warmer, I'll get wet from sweat, but I only have a lightweight shirt underneath that doesn't absorb a lot of water and dries quickly. Rain pants don't have enough breathability, no air space between legs and pants like a jacket. Maybe a kilt would work. I wear breathable nylon gaiters and merino socks. The water doesn't like to go from the nylon to the wool, tends to just run down the nylon. I routinely go in rain and walk through wet brush and my feet stay pretty dry. They do get damp from sweat because waterproof breathable shoes aren't real breathable.

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Thank you again for your Wonderful comments:) I'm also developing a slight caugh (thank you , kids!) so this will be an interesting one:) Many of you are providing with great ideas, unfortunately, they are not realizable due to the time frame. I would probably go with the zpacks rain kilt, but my options are limited to the gear I can find in the store and the gear I have in the closet. So I've decided on the full-featured Goretex jacket. I can deal with an extra five ounces (just carry less water). Would I need it if the sun comes out? no, but it's better to have one for the three consecutive rain days than not to have one. I also got a super lightweight pertex rain hat to double as protection from the top. I also have a pair of Rab Event full size gaiters, plus rocky goretex socks. Maybe a better option will be to wear socks+gaiters, capeline + windpants? I know my windpants will definitely get wet in thighs/butt, but at least they will be more comfortable to hike in. The only issue here is that I don't have a second pair of underwear tights to sleep in.. Will probably need to get another pair just to serve that purpose. So there is really no weight benefit of choosing this option, but it gives more versatility and possibly more comfort. The REI rain pants I got are kids size (the adult size is extremely big and bulky). But they are not really comfortable and stretchy, I'm afraid that hiking in them would mean loss of dexterity and hot spots. They are also a little tight around waistline. Decisions….

Anonymous
    Inactive

"For me rain gear is most important in classic hypothermia conditions, some combo of cold, wet and windy. Personally, rain gear keeps me a heck of a lot drier than no rain gear. Sure, I might have some condensation inside but my clothing isn't dripping with water like it would be without it. To prevent overheating I remove insulating layers, vent my rain gear as necessary and slow down. Having rain gear, including rain pants, is an enormous comfort and safety issue in bad conditions. Sure, in some warm conditions I'll leave the rain pants home…" +1 Pretty much says it all.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools