Topic

Montbell Cool Hoodie?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell Cool Hoodie?

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The Montbell Cool Hoodie has become my favorite shirt. I wear it all the time. It is significantly cooler than my Patagonia Sun Hoody (different than the Patagonia Tropic Comfort mentioned above). It has some snags from bushwhacking, but no tears, so it’s holding up pretty well. I sometimes use the thumb holes for sun protection on my hands, but usually stick with my sun gloves

combined with the double thickness of fabric on the torso

Aside from the Kangaroo Pocket, the Montbell shirt has no double thickness

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yeah. The double thickness is just the pocket. I probably should have said “belly” rather than “torso”.

It sounds like the grey color is contributing more to warmth than I guessed.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Seems like this Montebell “sun hoodie” would also double as a bit of an insulating layer under a WPB parka if things cooled sown or got rainy and cool.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Using any hood can make you feel warmer. Same on the drape caps. Also check out the polyester hoodie at Walmart.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Cool! Sorry about the pun. Will keep an eye out for the new TC Hoody. Not in a rush for a warm-weather shirt. Also, I picked up a Paty sun-stretch shirt I want to try out. Cheers for the info!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

le gasp MB is finally making the Cool Hoodie in a light color. https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2304144

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Golly G. Willikers
    BPL Member

@piano

Locale: Orion Spur

Pity about the kangaroo pocket and only 1/2 zip.

Hot weather calls for a full zip for max ventilation.

Even without the zip, kangaroo pockets are kind of useless for carrying anything. And they might be nice in cool conditions
    in casual/camp settings for warming hands against each other in a shared warm air volume. Dumb and non-functional for hot weather. Gym pass, keys, phone, gps, or whatever, would do better in individual pockets. Or no pockets at all would be ok, but would miss the opportunity to use them as sun shields for the hands.

The Patagonia attempt correctly does away with the kangaroo pocket, but it is heavier and lacks a zip altogether.

The best thing to do would be to get the Montbell one, remove (or modify with a split) the pocket, and possibly put in a full-length zip.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

“The best thing to do would be to get the Montbell one, remove (or modify with a split) the pocket, and possibly put in a full-length zip.”

Or to pick up an inexpensive loose poly or 60/40 poly cotton shirt from a thrift shop, Walmart, etc. and combine it with a Sunday Afternoons, Solumbra or other brand hat that has a wide brim and flexible back-of-the-neck tail, like my SA Adventure Hat.

I want to believe there’s a very cool lightweight shirt like the Montbell out there that really works in hot weather, but I’ve been disappointed so many times. The thinnest synthetic L/S shirt I have is an REI attempt at a Patagonia Silkweight Capilene-like material, and it’s unbelievably hot to wear in warm weather. Speaking of which, there was some Patagonia hot/sunny-weather tropical synthetic L/S collared button-down shirt they marketed years ago which felt like wearing a plastic bag – returned it immediately. For all the talk of testing it’s as if not a single person tried it in hot weather before it was sold.

Many of these types of tops have spandex for stretch and that just seems to make clothes feel hotter.

I know you’re looking for the hoody + hat. You could probably get similar coverage from a hat with a neck cape that meets at your chin.

Has anyone compared the latest versions of the Patagonia L/S hot weather hoodies with the Montbell for coolness in hot sunny weather?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have the Patagonia Tropic Comfort hoodie (heather version before the current material) and a dark grey Montbell Cool Hoodie. It’s a night and day difference, the Patagucci wins.

HOWEVER

My son loves his Montbell Cool LS (no hood and no dumb pocket) in light green. He says it stays very cool.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Wonder how a bamboo hoodie might compair. No zip though.

https://www.freeflyapparel.com/men-s/view-all/tops/bamboo-lightweight-hoody.html

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Hmm. That’s an interesting option and relatively inexpensive with their 20% off first purchase offer that pops up. Have you purchased anything from this company?

Edit: Nice to see they pay shipping on returns.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Matthew, I have not. Their mid weight hoodies (UPF 50) are used by some outfitters for colorado rafting trips, Arizona River Adventures (AZRA). I almost bought one but just used my hiking shirts. Heard no complaints on our trip last week.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools