Topic

Wet feet – should I worry about this? (Fugly foot pictures)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Wet feet – should I worry about this? (Fugly foot pictures)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

At what point do I need to worry about my feet staying wet?

Last hike had many rivers and my feet were always wet in the day but dried very well over night, as did my socks and shoes (4 nights, 3 days). Aside from feeling somewhat tender (the shoes had thinner soles than before) and that I could rub off dead skin, they were okay. My feet are normally very dry and I should lotion them more often, so I'm not surprised some skin rubbed off.

Here's a pic. I'm not sure how well it translates on screen but the feet themselves were very pale and water logged.
    fugly feet

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

What were you wearing for socks? I find that thick wool socks keep my feet the happiest.

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

No — at least in my experience, no. Though they look bad, I've never had all day wet feet turn into anything bad, even over a week or more. No increased blisters either.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Trench foot or immersion foot from extended cold and wet feet can produce frostbite-like injuries that can be really ugly and permanently disabling.

I ran across this note from Andrew Skurka who uses a balm to protect his skin in wet conditions.
    http://andrewskurka.com/2012/minimizing-the-effects-and-aftermath-of-wet-feet/

An article on WWI trench foot issues noted that some soldiers used whale oil on their feet.

This is a Google outake from the NOLS wilderness medicine book on immersion injuries:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=VilIU4_xTv4C&pg=PA138&lpg=PA138&dq=long+term+effects+of+wet+feet&source=bl&ots=BsbROfTLyX&sig=zkDJ6XSbyK51tfCnhJWCSVnYmLg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBWoVChMI1bDcpOKTxwIVwdWACh3Jugn2#v=onepage&q=long%20term%20effects%20of%20wet%20feet&f=false

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

When I'm in wet socks most of the day for a few days, I get a bit of "athletic's foot" between toes 3+4 and 4+5 on my left foot. But not my right foot. Knowing that, I'll put a dab of an anti-fungal ointment in those spots at the beginning of each day if I expect to have wet feet. And then I have no problems. YMMV.

From what you describe, you might also lose an outer layer of skin some weeks from now. BTDT.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

As Andrew Skurka suggests, a high-viscosity balm applied before they get wet and then nightly will help.
    I'm sure A.S. has far more experience in testing different possibilities, so if you can find the balm he suggests that may be best.
    But the Rite Aid "cracked heel skin softener" is easy to find and effective:
    https://shop.riteaid.com/rite-aid-pharmacy-skin-softener-cracked-heel-0-5-oz-15-g-0340288
    (Of course you don't want your skin softened – it has that effect on dry cracked skin; but for the purpose at hand, it is viscous, lasts through the day to help reduce water absorption)

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Thanks all.

@Justin
    how would thick wool socks help? I shied away from them wanting something that would dry overnight and trap less moisture. I may be missing something here.

@Brian
    and David, thanks. Glad to know that for time periods like this it isn't too much of an issue.

@Dale
    , good links. Thanks.

@Ralph
    , I should've stuck to the idea of using the Hiker Goo" I bought.

I was having trouble with a blister forming on the ball of my right foot and took the suggestion of taping it preventively. I over did it and the tape that wrapped around the foot tugged at the skin of on the side of my pinky toe and nearly made a blister. Tagaderm took care of that, it even stuck reasonably well with the water crossings. The tape on the bottom of my foot did not.

Maybe if I'd stuck to the HikeGoo idea … Something new to try and observe!

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

I think it's fair to say that each year tens of thousands of hikers take their shoes off to reveal feet like that at the end of the day.

Obviously, dry feet are better than wet feet, but wet feet are part of the game. I think it is really important to dry your feet out 100% at night, which you did. Sleeping in dry, clean, dedicated sleeping socks helps immensely.

I usually don't worry about KEEPING my feet dry during the day, it's often virtually impossible, but feet are more susceptible to blisters when wet so I keep close tabs on them to prevent blisters.

Listen to your own feet though, regardless of what the rest of us tell you.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I keep my feet dry. WPB boots or shoes.

But I rarely have to walk through stream, I can just rock hop or walk across log.

Seems like when your feet get that wet, you're asking for fungal problems or blisters.

It seems like blisters are one of the worst problems for thru hikers. They must have wet feet for days.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Obviously, dry feet are better than wet feet, but wet feet are part of the game."

I never have wet feet. What game are you playing?

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

"Obviously, dry feet are better than wet feet, but wet feet are part of the game."

I never have wet feet. What game are you playing?

I often wade streams or hike through melting snow or pouring rain. My feet get wet. A lot.

What point are you trying to make?

David Ure

@familyguy

"What point are you trying to make?"

That I never get wet feet and that it is not part of everyone's 'Game.'

Clear?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

My feet stay fairly dry in melting snow and pouring rain. Or wet brush is maybe the worst. WPB shoes.

Wading streams is a problem though, but I avoid that mainly. How do you keep your feet dry wading a stream deeper than the boots?

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I've not tried the HikeGoo stuff, but it looks ideal – "high melting point waxes".

I also use a high-viscosity balm like this in moderation to help condition my feet in dry conditions – as the skin toughens up, I apply just enough to prevent cracking, but not so much that it actually softens the skin – I just want it to harden gradually. I find that it helps me develop toughened but still somewhat flexible skin, rather than thick inflexible callousing.

In wet conditions where excluding water is the priority I'll apply the stuff much more liberally.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

"Wading streams is a problem though, but I avoid that mainly. How do you keep your feet dry wading a stream deeper than the boots?"

Maybe his feet never get wet except when they get wet.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Wading streams is a problem though, but I avoid that mainly. How do you keep your feet dry wading a stream deeper than the boots?"

I wear higher top boots and snug tall gaiters. Admittedly, I don't wade through significantly deep streams.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

You guys are so funny

Sierras have a lot of streams that require wading through I believe

I can think of a couple streams on Mt Adams, and many streams in the Cascades earlier in the season

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

you edited out the snarky comment, good idea Dave, funny how people get sucked into snarky back and forth sequences : )

I have loose gaiters than are somewhat effective at keeping water out if I just take a couple quick steps

and some shoes have a collar around the top that limits water flowing in

having wet feet like the OP, for days, just doesn't seem like a good idea

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

@Jerry Adams: "I just rock hop or walk across log."

Not always possible and sometimes rarely possible depending on rainstorms and creek crossings and how wide the creek—

crossing
    Here's Amy Willow crossing Upper Bald River.

creek crossing
    Here's Amy pulling a ford in crocs on Bald River.

Creek
    Chantelle crossing Slickrock Creek.

fording
    Backpacking buddy crossing Slickrock Creek.

ford
    Finally, my buddy Rai Man crossing South Fork Citico.

Point is, rock hopping is often impossible.

@Dave
    : "I never have wet feet."

Bold statement! Then he says "I don't wade thru significantly deep steams."

Hmmm . . .

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Oh, can't forget this one of some idiot UL (ultraloader) backpacker crossing a deep South Fork Citico—

fording creek

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Yeah, those would be hard to rock hop. And if you tried, you'd waste a lot of time looking for a place. And it takes long enough to cross, feet under water, gaiters probably wouldn't keep out the water.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Man, those are huge packs. This is backpacking LIGHT you know?

(just kidding…)

David Ure

@familyguy

"This is backpacking LIGHT you know?"

He sometimes gets lost and ends up here.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

tipi
    Tipi is sitting inside that pack, keeping his feet dry. That's why Tipi always keeps his base weight below 7lb, or his friend complains.

Earl Gilbert
    Spectator

@egilbe

Doesn't anyone's feet sweat?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools