Topic

Son’s first fish with a Tenkara rod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Son’s first fish with a Tenkara rod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Actually, subject line pretty much covers it.

.Owen's fish

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Looks great!

I have a few questions for you:
    – how old is he?
    – did he fish/flyfish before?
    – how long did it take him to figure out tenkara?

My son will be 4 this month and he has figured out spin-casting, which was right for the spot we were fishing this June. With his love to throw rocks into the water, Tenkara just doesn't have the reach to the fish he hasn't spooked yet :)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

– how old is he?

– did he fish/flyfish before?

Yes but only with crank gear. This picture was taken 30 minutes after the first time he ever touched a fly rod of any style. I only had a few months head start on him.

– how long did it take him to figure out tenkara?

Three casts maybe. Where we were fishing and the fact we were fishing from shore and not wading, we needed a little more reach so he was using the slingshot method instead of a traditional Tenkara cast (whatever that's called).

Since you have a link to a tenkara store in your BPL profile, I'll assume that this isn't your first rodeo but I'll mention a couple observations about Tenkara fishing with kids for other people who may read this:

I stood near him and kept an eye on where the fly was in relationship to his body so that when he executed the slingshot cast, he wouldn't bury the hook into the back of his leg or whatever. After a handful of casts, he had it down and didn't need my constant supervision. Your kids may vary in either direction.

(steps on soapbox)

I fish with barbless hooks or crimp the barbs. I don't care to start a potential flame war or off topic conversation about catch and release but as someone who had to push a hook fully through my thumb to expose the barb, cut it off, and then pull the hook back through, I think it's important to do this around kids for safety reasons.

The ambulance company I worked for in NY was near Salmon River in Pulaski. Even if I didn't fish, I could always tell you when the salmon were running by the sheer volume of fishhook vs ear/eye/nipple/arm/etc calls so again, big fan of barbless hooks. I forget to do it every now, especially when I'm juggling four different kids at a fishing pond, but try to remember to flatten them as a general rule.

I also had him wear glasses as he was getting the hang of it.

NJ Drew
    BPL Member

@njdrew

Very cool, congrats!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

There are milestones well worth celebrating, and this is one of them! Good for you for capturing the moment with an image, and sharing the story here. Great work, dad :)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks everyone! This was a "dude's weekend" as our ladies were out of town. He said that of the things we did this weekend, there was a three way tie between go carts, shooting his 10-22, and catching this fish.

Translated from 12 y/o, that means he really enjoyed it!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Good job Ian.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Great job teaching your Son about Tenkara and safe fishing. I'm a huge proponent of the slingshot cast… I find it extraordinarily effective, especially when fishing small streams where there's no room to back cast at all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools