Topic

Laugarvegur Trail: Landmannalaugar to Langidalur (Þórsmörk Valley)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Laugarvegur Trail: Landmannalaugar to Langidalur (Þórsmörk Valley)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Laugarvegur Trail is a pretty straight forward trail. It spans 55 km and has 4 campgrounds/huts spaced along the trail. Wild camping is not allowed in this area so most people camp near the huts (running water and toilets). We did not stay in the huts and camped outside.

We chose to start at Landmannalaugar, our flight landed at 8:30 am and we had to scramble and pick up gear and some food to catch the 2 pm bus. We picked up cheese and some salami as you cannot fly into the country with uncooked meats and dairy products. I picked up a wonderful 500 gm gas canister and some Red Alcohol for the trip at the N1 gas station.

500 gram can

The base camp at Landmannalaugar was a zoo as there were about 50 tents already pitched when we arrived at 8:30 pm. That and given the sun really doesn't set in July, the party crowd stayed up for a while.

The snow has been staying around a lot longer than normal and there is plenty of snow on the trail. Lots of snow + no trees = few markers to guide by. That and there are periodic white outs in the area. Since we didn't bring a GPS, we were advised to stick close to someone who had one. Were were also recommended not to rely on foot paths as the day before +30 people got lost on the trail.

Landmannalaugar to Hrafntinnusker

start1start 2start 3snow tent

After a while, we drop out of the snow and hit the volcanic ash
    day 2b

Not a big fan of hiking in the snow, particularly with the fog drops down.

Hrafntinnusker to Álftavatn

More snow and more fog. I also discovered that at every ravine, the snow is melting and that you are basically hiking over a lot of snow arches.day 2day 2aday 2 c

For the last two days there have been few birds, no trees, no small mammals, very few insects. Bizarre.

Álftavatn to Emstrur

Finally out of the snow, but this stretch of the trail is the least interesting. Long straight trails through featureless landscapes. The highlight of the day would be all of the creek crossings: quite refreshing actually.
    creek 1straight roadwaterfall

Emstrur to Langidalur (Þórsmörk Valley)

Great hike, lots of terrain changes
    basalt
    Great Basalt Towers
    day 3
    day 3atrees
    We finally see some tree, flowers, insects and birds.

We actually had planned to continue the hike over the Skogar with a stop overnight at the Fimmvörðuháls huts but decided to pass: too much snow, white out conditions and we couldn't count on other hikers with a GPS.

The advantage of hiking in early July was the crowds were less, the day length was long and the stream crossings were easy (mid thigh max).

If I were to do this hike again, I would probably hike it in late August and bring a GPS.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Nice pics Jon. My group hiked from Skogar to Landmannalaugar from 7/13 to 7/17. I'll have to post some pics.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I am looking forward to your pictures. We hike from 7-8 to 7-12 so we just missed you. We did hike around Skogar on the 14th. Hopefully the weather over the passes was better for you than us. Cheers

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Wow Jon! There's something about the beautiful desolation of Iceland that really tugs at my heart. I hope to hike that trail soonish although I miss the days of <$500 tickets out of Seattle. Last time I priced tickets to Reykjavik, it was only a couple hundred dollars less than flying to Patagonia.

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

When did you go?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Sorry, I edited to OP to reflect the dates: we reached the trail head at Landmannalugar on 7/8/15 and finished in Porsmork on 7/12/15.

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

Thanks. I'm going on Thursday and was trying to get an idea on trail and campsite conditions.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Nice report and photos Jon. It sounds like a GPS would come in handy! Stashing this TR away for future reference :)

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I put a video together with some of the better pictures from our trip. Enjoy

Laugavegur Trail Video early July 2015

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools