Topic

I confess …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique I confess …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Python scripts and calculating to the calorie!? I guess there really is a difference between INTJ's and INTPs!

I've said this before but I really feel like the gear and the planning are sort of substitutes for the activity itself. Like a totem or talisman or some kind of stand-in. A way to take part in the activity before the time off has been taken and the car left behind at the trailhead.

I do the mental walk-through thing, too. I usually don't forget anything. Sometimes I have. Usually I have left whatever it was behind in the car. My partner uses a checklist and he always forgets something. Always.

Earl Gilbert
    Spectator

@egilbe

I'm packing for an overnighter next weekend to do some trailwork. I mentally go through the motions of my trip, picturing the tasks I need to do and make sure I have everything I may need and use. Food is easy. I know how much I eat and how much to bring. Setting up camp is a certain number of tasks. I know I will need my air mattress, quilt, tarp and bugnetting. Bug net reminds me of insect repellant which reminds me of sunblock. I pack those things as I think about them. Thinking of cooking dinner reminds me of my cook kit, fuel and stove. Getting water for my meal reminds me of my Sawyer squeeze. Thinking about what the weather would be like reminds me of my rain jacket. I know I'm clearing blowdowns on a trail this weekend so I pack my folding saw and strap it to the pack. I'm debating on whether to bring a small axe, but I really hate carrying that huge chuck of steel. There are some pretty views where I'm going so I make sure to pack my camera and an extra battery. Its a system that works for me and there are no lists. The only thing I've ever forgotten was my spoon. Twice. It hasn't happened since.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

"I've said this before but I really feel like the gear and the planning are sort of substitutes for the activity itself."
    Certainly true for me. I've got 16 days off in September, will backpack with a friend for 5-6 days, take a day or two to do touristy stuff, and do another ~5 day solo trip.
    Simple point to point hikes at a leisurely pace in what will likely be the least challenging conditions I've ever hiked in. Aside from a nod toward more sun protection, the gear will be the same as I always use for the expected temps, and I could be ready to go in 10 minutes, since a lot of my stuff never even gets put up.

But…I'm 6 weeks out, and hardly hiking right now, just mountain biking and a little kayaking. 6 weeks that I may not even go hiking more than once or twice.
    Meanwhile, I'll be fantasizing about my first trip to the Sierras every day.
    I have no doubt that a lot of lists are going to be made in the next month.
    None of it matters, and nothing will change; it's all about killing time and maintaining excitement about the trip.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools