Topic

buttonfront shirts: nylon vs polyester

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) buttonfront shirts: nylon vs polyester

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Buttons: YUK. How very 20th century conformist. Cheers

jh
    Spectator

@woodpewee

Having spent lots of time in the Adk's, I know that well! It's mindboggling to see 100 or so mosquitoes dance around the sweaty back of my pack for several minutes after I set it down and hide under a net in a nearby lean-to. As for shirts, I've had the most success with cotton/polyester blend long-sleeve button down shirts (got a bunch from H&M years ago for a different purpose and they turned out to be perfect for backpacking) that have been home-treated with permethrin. They will bite through constantly, especially around the shoulders, if the shirt isn't treated.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Me? Old poly-cotton blend shirts (65/35). Thrift store or repurposed from my collection. Button up and down for ventilation. Less 20th century conformist and more like early 21st century practicality. The cotton helps it breathe; the mainly polyester blend makes it dry quickly. If the weather gets bad, I have a thermal top. I don't know or care how many miles I'ved used these types of shirts for…but they last a while and I've been using them for years.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Yup, Jacob, I hear ya. Those bloodsucking (bleeps). Have you tried tight woven nylon? If so curious if you got bites thru the material. I just get itchy all over when they get that thick. No joking, especially around the shoulder area but oddly enough when I check I have no signs of bites. I would have to say the shirts I'm using are pretty bite proof. Thinking of starting to treating our clothing as well, especially with the ever increasing tick infestations. jimmyb

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Buttons: YUK. How very 20th century conformist. Cheers" Too complicated for you? Buttons: Heck Yeah How silent and functional. Velcro, snaps and zippers BOO!

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools