Topic

Flash Reviews No. 11

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Flash Reviews No. 11

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Flash Reviews No. 11

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

This device seems similar to how the now discontinued MSR MIOX worked.

Any idea how it's different? With a treatment time of 30 minutes for Giardia, and 4 hours for Crypto, I'm not sure I understand the advantages of this device vs Chlorine Dioxide, in either tablet or droplet form.

How long/often have you used the socks? Several reviews of Hanz socks on Amazon suggest they don't last very long before the layers de-laminate and they begin to leak.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Hanz socks look like SealSkinz socks, which are reported to leak pretty early on. I wonder if they're made by the same folks?

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

The 'inventor' of this water purification system is the same guy who licensed the technology to MSR for the miox a few years back, according to a recent Albuquerque Journal article (the guy is from NM). IIRC, no memorable changes to the underlying technology compared to the miox.

Maybe a BPL historian/link master can post some of the past reviews of the miox method used in an UL context (ie. it was not received well)

marvin barg
    BPL Member

@grampa_kilt

Locale: British Columbia

Hanz is indeed the former SealSkinz USA which was manufacturing under licence from SealSkinz in the UK. Since the quality of SealSkinz USA had declined so much, they lost the licence and began manufacturing under the Hanz name.

My take, don't buy Hanz. Buy the original and much more superior products from the original manufacturer. I think Sealskinz (UK) now has shipping depots in Canada and the USA. Grampa Kilt

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

MIOX Scored below average.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

sean neves
    Spectator

@seanneves

Locale: City of Salt

Just wanted to tune in on that device. Glad it's rechargeable, but it a serious party foul that the battery appears to be NON user replaceable. With the many quality rechargeable/replaceable li-ion cells on the market that is inexcusable. The battery will die. Period. That's just what they do. Plus with replaceables, you can just pop one in when the other is dead. Not so here. You didn't catch a charge? Sorry. Also, that solar cell won't recharge much unless it requires a very small voltage/wattage. In my experience, you need a bunch of cells to do any real work.

Color me skeptical.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I had a MIOX about 8 years ago. I had fun geeking out for a bit but I eventually realized that you can do the same thing with tablets for way less weight, hassle and risk. Get AquaTabs (sodium dichloroisocyanurate) if you're okay not killing crypto, or spend more for chlorine dioxide tablets (AquaMira/Katadyn) if you want to wait 4 hrs to kill crypto.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Maybe a BPL historian/link master can post some of the past reviews of the miox
    > method used
    I reviewed it for BPL. It STANK. It was revolting. My wife is tolerant, but she would not even go near the results.

Cheers

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Isnt the 4hr wait time for really cold water?

My understanding is the colder the water the longer the wait… near freezing water is 4hr wait time, 30min for warmer waters.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I tried that tech for a bit but it certainly wasn't for me because of taste and wait times. I was an early adopter of UV and haven't looked back. My next favorite is no treatment at all and I would say that is about a third of the time.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Isnt the 4hr wait time for really cold water?

My understanding is the colder the water the longer the wait… near freezing water is 4hr wait time, 30min for warmer waters."

That is correct. It starts working right away.

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

On July 7th I got a SPAM email ad ostensibly from BPL and even signed by RJ for the Potable Aqua product extolling it's virtues and encouraging me to buy it.

Did anyone else get it?

If this was really from BPL, then I an very disappointed to be receiving this kind of trash email from them.

If it is NOT from BPL, then they really need to investigate this "endorsement." I'd be happy to forward the email on to someone for further investigation if called for.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I got it too. First one of its kind in all my time here. Trying something new. Not a fan of this approach either. Don't waste your time posting complaints here where they will not be dealt with, Email [email protected] and tell him how you feel.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Didn't get it. If it did indeed come from BPL, again, I wonder if, since I'm not signed up to receive BPL emails I don't get some of this stuff y'all do.

Unlike seeing ads on the site, such spam, if from BPL, is a significant shift, and not a welcome one at all.

From the account information page (I bolded some info):

Privacy Policy. We use your personal information strictly to assess use statistics at our Web site and to understand how people are using the site. This allows us to respond to customer interest most appropriately and develop content that appeals to our readership. Under no circumstances will we sell your private information with another party.

Newsletter Signup. We send out occasional newsletters to our opt-in subscribers. Newsletters may contain information about our company or the Website, including updates, new products, or other information we think might be of interest to you. Occasionally, we may send you information about third party products that we think are of interest to you. Don't worry, you won't get spammed with VISA offers, organ enlargement herbs (this is a lightweight backpacking site, after all, maybe you need to decrease organ size/weight?), or information about people who manufacture Heavy Gear. We promise that the information you receive will be informative, valuable, and edited by us. Of course, you always have the option to opt-out of our newsletters. Just let us know.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"since I'm not signed up to receive BPL emails" Bingo!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Please send a full copy of the email (ie 'forward') to
    [email protected]

As far as I know, Ryan is away in the mountains, and has been so for several days.

Cheers

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Roger:I'll forward that email to you tonight.

FWIW: I really hope this wasn't authorized. BPL seems IMHO to have made several missteps lately (I won't go into details as they've been thrashed to death in other threads), but this type of spam, if authentic, would be another step down the slope.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Backpacking Light
    You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the Backpacking Light General Newsletter, which includes our weekly news digest with links to new content published at backpackinglight.com as well as occasional (less than 2x/month) notices about new products or services that may be of interest to our readers.
    JULY 7, 2015
    WATER TREATMENT FOR SUMMER HIKING:

BENEFITS OF ELECTROCHEMICAL WATER TREATMENT TECHNOLOGIES

Dear Backpacking Light Reader,

As you research options for treating your water from backcountry water sources, you are going to learn about many different methods – including both gravity feed and hand pump filtration, chemicals, ultraviolet light, and electrochemical methods.

Not all of these methods are effective against waterborne pathogenic viruses or protozoan cysts like Giardia and Cryptosporidia. One method that is effective against nearly every type of pathogen, however, is the electrochemical technology that creates a solution of mixed oxidants.

This technology is now available in the Potable Aqua® PURE™ Electrolytic Water Purifier. Specs of note:
    Treatment capacity of 400 liters on a single battery charge;
    Integrated solar panel for charging on-the-go;
    30-minute treatment time for bacteria, viruses, and Giardia;
    3.8 oz weight.
    Scroll down to learn more about the the PA PURE™ Electrolytic Water Purifier, or visit PotableAqua.com.

Godspeed,
    Ryan Jordan
    Founder & Publisher

BACKPACKING LIGHT HAS NOT REVIEWED OR TESTED THIS PRODUCT AS OF THE PUBLICATION DATE OF THIS NEWSLETTER. THIS NOTIFICATION IS SENT AS AN INFORMATIONAL SERVICE ONLY, AND DOES NOT REPRESENT A PRODUCT ENDORSEMENT, REVIEW, OR QUALITY EVALUATION OF ANY TYPE.
    ADVERTISEMENT:
    Change Subscriber Options

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools