Topic

Any such thing as a waterproof hiking short?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any such thing as a waterproof hiking short?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Apart from cutting part of the legs off a pair of rain pants, do waterproof hiking shorts exist?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've seen 'em in years past, but don't recall a brand. Convertibles too. Weird. Soft shell shorts strike me as odd too. I'd just add a rain kilt.

Rain pants with some thigh vents and some sort of roll up feature might be okay for those on and off rainy days.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I had Zpacks make me a pair of "rain shorts." They're just whatever version of the cuben rain pants was offered at the time more or less cut down to shorts length.

I've got limited experience with them so far, but they've worked fine for me (seeing as how I mostly hike in shorts and don't mind my lower legs getting wet).

David Ure

@familyguy

Some great options here. Thanks.

Yes Dale – maybe a rain skirt.

Like the idea of contacting Zpacks too.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

What a revolting sweaty idea!
    Just my 2c.

Cheers

David Ure

@familyguy

Lol. They would be used in lieu of rain pants. Warm temps and I am okay with my lower legs getting wet but wet crotch is icky. These would be just thrown over my existing hiking shorts should conditions warrant.

Martin O’Malley
    BPL Member

@martino

There are waterproof/breathable cycling shorts that work fine for hiking. One example that comes to mind is the Endura Superlite shorts, but I'm sure there are others. Many will tend to be longer shorts, to the knee or just past. Have hiked in late Oct in the PNW in snow (over long REI heavier weight thermals) and they were great. Just make sure that the what ever pair you are considering don't have an incorporated chamois liner (most have a padded cycling liner that can be unclipped and removed, leaving just the desired shell/shorts).

Endura Superlite Cycling Shorts

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

"wet crotch is icky"

I'd go kilt if you are that concerned. Light and easier on/off.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I just use automotive turtle wax on my nether-regions and go nekkid. Can't be lighter than that.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I would never wear those, you will get crotch rot. Instead get some normal, durable shorts, and spray waterproof on them and they will repel water.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I just use automotive turtle wax on my nether-regions and go nekkid. Can't be lighter than that."

I thought about that but then realized that it may cause problems when I shower.

Bought a Rain Kilt instead.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Say goodbye to that high luster shine Dave

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Why would anyone think waterproof shorts would be sweaty and crotch-rotty any worse than pants? Seeing as how I almost always have to pull my rain chaps up to my knees to not overheat, I can see the appeal of rain shorts. Once my rain chaps seemed to no longer be waterproof I got a rain skirt and couldn't be happier. So much easier to put on and take off, too.

David Ure

@familyguy

LOL Ken.

Thanks Piper.

I have some hiking buddies who laughed when I told them I bought a rain kilt / skirt. I then threatened no underwear and the comments stopped.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools