Topic

Keep my P&S, get an OM-D, or ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Keep my P&S, get an OM-D, or ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

So I have been using my Lumix LX7 for a while now. Overall I am happy with it for most situations. Mostly I enjoy taking landscape and adventure travel photos. But the lack of optical zoom, astrophotography, and limited time lapse features frustrate me.

Years ago I wanted an OM-D E-M5 but could not justify the cost. Now that they can be had for $500 (MK1) with the 14-42mm kit lens I am really considering it.

This past winter I did get some ok shots of the aurora but want to do better this year. DSLRs are still king for astrophotography but have been impressed with some photos I have seen from the m4/3 cameras. Obviously I do not consider myself a pro by any means, just looking to expand upon what I already have.

But the limitations I see with the OM-Ds are lack of external power input options (from what I can tell) for long time lapses and smaller sensor sizes for cameras similar in size (such as Sony).

Sure I can get timelapses with the GoPro Hero 4 (and they turn out ok) but would like to bump up my overall capabilities a bit across the board without getting too bulky and heavy.

$700 or more for another P&S (RX100iii) is something I cannot justify.

Thoughts?

E-M5 VS E-M10 VS Cheap DSLR VS ?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

The e-m10 is a screaming deal right now and is arguably a better camera than the original e-m5 (and smaller and lighter). They're like $349 with the kit lens refurbished from olympus (looks like currently sold out but come up frequently).

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

Locale: San Francisco

I have the EM-10. Definitely a better camera then the EM-5. It's an AWESOME camera! I would highly reccomend it but I don't have the kit lens. I picked up an Oly 12mm 2.0 for cheap.

I would totally rec the EM-10 over the 5. If you have questions I'm happy to answer them :-)

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

I currently own the Olympus OM-D E-M1 (and love it!). But before that I owned the E-M5.

Most of the features of the E-M10 are improved over the E-M5; BUT keep in mind that the E-M5 (with the right lens) is weather sealed whereas the E-M10 is not. This MIGHT be a factor for you.

If you want a weather sealed kit, also look for the Olympus 12-50mm lens. It's "kit lens" quality (i.e. good, but not great; but also not overly expensive) but is weather sealed as opposed to most other lenses. As an added bonus it has an almost-macro lens feature that works pretty well.

There's also a "new and improved" version of the M5 now, the E-M5 II. But being a new model it's still pretty pricey.

I keep my E-M1 and Olympus 12-40mm Pro lens (both weather sealed) attached to my pack strap with a Peak Design Capture Clip and don't worry about the weather.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

The main reason I was leaning more for the E-M5 was the weather sealing. Alaska is not always rainy despite what some outsiders may think. But when it is wet, I sure do appreciate waterproof gear. For sea kayaking and rainy day trips I have been using my GoPro Hero4 for still images and it is ok, more for capturing the moment than being creative. It gets cliped to my PFD or pack with a shank of paracord and small carabiner.

After reading some of Megan's posts on the E-M10 and seeing more example photos, I am leaning more that direction. Built-in vs. external intervalometer and HDR too.

Sure, the E-M5 II would be nice but for that much I can get the standard E-M5 or E-M10 with lenses.

For basic landscape and some basic astrophotography, would I be dissappointed with the kit lens (14-42mm, f3.5-5.6) or be happier with a low f 12mm? Any experience with some of the Ronkinon lenses? For $99 would it be worth while to pick up the 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 to reach out a little further for critter shots?

Although there are none on the Olympus website right now I see there are some refurbished ones with kit lens for less than $400 on eBay.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

And just recently released:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/air-a01.html

Could be a neat concept. Being somewhat "open source" could mean that controls and advanced features beyond a framed body could be possible. Lightweight, multi-purpose, remote controlled, and can be charged in the field via USB.

There are going to be some creative uses of this camera.

Although for now I personally may end up getting one of those refurbished E-M10s with kit lens for under $400 along with a 12mm lens to match.

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Locale: New England, PNW, Northern India

Ryan,

I have gone from a weather proof point and shoot up to full frame then now to an OM-D.

Anytime I think the camera is the problem with my pictures, I look at stuff like this
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1127925/316

and know the limitation is me.

I have really liked having the OM-D weather sealing for both moisture and dust. I have used it in torrential rain, blowing dust, temps well below freezing, altitude up to 16,000 and had no problems. Several trips, others with have put their cameras away when the weather is bad, but so far, I have had no problems.

On a couple of trips where weight was a big factor, I have gone with just 17mm prime. The weather sealed lenses are the 12-50, 14-150, 12-40, 7-14, and 40-150. However, I have used the 17mm in inclement weather with no problem, but would be a bit more gentle with it.

I also highly recommend buying a used EM5 or EM10. Saves a bit of money. Even the EM1 can be had for 700-800 used in great condition. Check out the buy and sell forums on fredmiranda or other reputable photography sites.

Good luck with your decision.

peace

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Thanks for the insight Garrett.

I would love to have an E-M1 with sealed Pro lenses but that is way beyond my budget for another camera.

Honestly, I have been using a $300 P&S with OK results, am pretty paranoid about breaking it after dropping my old camera too many times, and have a GoPro for wet stills with very little weight penalty.

Been eyeballing those refurbished E-M10s with kit 14-42mm lenses for ~$375. Combined with a 12mm f2 Rokinon for $300 and a 40-150mm f4-5.6 for $100 I would have a pretty well rounded versatile system for the cost of a water-resistant body alone.

Wide angle landscape, astrophotography, and aurora shots (all with time lapse too) are what interest me the most.

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Locale: New England, PNW, Northern India

Ryan,

Depending on your priorities, you can find original em5s for around 300.

I bought my dad an em5 plus 12-50 with extra batteries, grip and in perfect conditon for 450.

However, only go this route if weather sealing is a big factor as the em10 is better than the original em5 except for weather sealing.

The nice thing is that the 12-50 is relatively cheap and sealed.

If weather sealing is less important than definitely go with the em10 and smaller 14-42.

For thorough reviews, Google Robin Wong. He had nice write ups comparing them. I vote omd over Panasonic for the
    In body stabilization. This way, any lens is stabilized.

Peace

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Get the om-d e-m10. Cheap, great tool, light, good quality build, great IQ. I'd recommend using either the 12-40mm or a set of primes for maximum IQ. I have the 12mm, 25mm and 45mm. I'd definitely skip the kit lenses. If you are thinking about just using a kit lens or kit-ish lens, I'd rather spend my money on a Sony RX100 series camera. Imo, combining a kit lens and an Om-d series camera, is an unbalanced buy.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Ok, just realised this was an old thread. Not much activity in this forum. Too bad.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

There's activity here Peter, I just don't get online and browse forums every day. Still have never gotten a better camera. With the new EM10 Mk II out I imagine some used old models will show up for good prices soon. Probably the biggest reason I like the EM10 is the live composite and the EM5 does not do that. I may wait a little bit, get a used EM1 when the Mk II of it comes out soon, update the firmware, put that 12mm prime on it, and get a cheap 12-50mm to make it all weather resistant for general use. Just wish there was a way to easily connect external power to an EM10 for timelapse. The EM1 can do it with the expensive grip and an adapter.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Ryan, that's probably a good thing… ;-) Yep, this should be a good time to grab a used E-M10. I scored a used one with the kit lens, and sold the kit lens. Very cheap solution. Classic problem… Big and do it all, or smaller with compromises. Still, It's not FF size. It's a good balanced system. M43. You'll hopefully be pleased either way. Don't really have anything new to add… Please report back what you will end up with.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Got a refurbished OM-D E-M5 Mk II direct from Olympus at a holiday discount and am loving it. Been using a Rokinon 12mm f/2 for aurora, landscape, and wide angle astrophotography work. I feel it was a better move than getting the E-M10 as I like the weather sealing and overall layout of the 5 mk II better.

Also Live Composite mode is AMAZING!

Now I need a weather sealed lens to match.

12-40mm Pro for $$$ vs. used 12-50mm kit vs 14-150mm II all around.

I almost can’t stand the thought of putting kit or wide super zoom quality lenses on a pro level mirrorless camera now that I have benefited some from a nice sharp prime. Wish they made digital weather sealed primes.

But I’ve been spoiled by my LX7’s f/1.4 to the point that f/2 seems slow hence my first choice is the 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro but it is an expensive heavy beast. 75% of my shooting is in wide angle so I don’t mind the 12mm f/2 but would like the versatility of AF, dust/freeze/moisture resistance, and a little reach for traveling.

The LX7 would be my “spare lens” if I jump on the 12-40mm Pro.

So for all you world travelers, what lens do you like and why?

My thinking is that bodies come and go but a good lens is an investment.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Congratulations on the camera purchase.

Have you considered the new 7-14mm Olympus? If I had the money, I’d buy it in a heartbeat for landscape photography. Weathersealed as your camera.

The 7-14mm, and a set of primes for longer focal lengths would IMO be a super sweet setup.

Cheers

Eric Batty
    BPL Member

@ericbatty

The 12-40 2.8 Pro is a amazing lens. I have done a couple trips recently where I had my Sony A7II (with handful of sony/ zeiss lenses) and my OMD EM5II and the majority of the images that I liked and were happy with are from the OMD and 12-40.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Honestly I am sorta glad I waited this long to get a decent system as it is almost everything I wanted. Having used the 5 mk II for a bit now I would have been somewhat disappointed with an original 5 or even the 10. The weather sealing, superior IBIS, high res mode, and better ergonomics make it a much more appropriate camera for my purposes.

A few weeks ago I ended up getting the 12-40mm Pro new for a good price. Nice piece of glass. Got the Fotodiox grip for the mk II to balance it out with that monster on the front.

The 7-14mm would be great for some things, especially since it is rectilinear. Having that extremely wide 7mm would be nice but that is a lot of $ considering I am already “over budget” by a seemingly exponential factor lol. And since it would be used a lot for astrophotography I would like it to be faster than f/2.8. For a budget perspective I am considering the Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 and de-fisheye it in Lightroom. Not terribly fast but economical.

What I want: 8mm f/1.4 (or faster) rectilinear autofocus weather sealed prime with manual focus ring+clutch that weighs less than 12oz and is about the size of a pancake lens. But nobody is probably going to make that.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

I couldn’t agree more. A light, fast,  ultrawide prime lens is the only thing missing in the system. I would buy it over the, 7-14mm too. Until then, I’m lusting for the 7-14mm.

I have the 9-18mm olympus. It’s my budget wide alternative. It’s actually quite good. Very light. Maybe consider that too?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools