Topic

Sterno Inferno model 70138 High-tech Sterno?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sterno Inferno model 70138 High-tech Sterno?

Viewing 12 posts - 226 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Lots of good stove science in this thread for newbies and oldies. Good to review once in a while. I did some gathering of info once again.

Anyone can add some new  facts as they come in.

Gary, hows the carbon felt doing, has the surface clogged up yet?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Roger wrote:

But CST is paywalled, and they want US$50 for the full PDF. I refuse to pay …

Google Scholar is your friend for many academic articles.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=LIFTED+LAMINAR+JET+DIFFUSION+FLAMES+AMABLE+LIÑÁN

which points to:
    http://oa.upm.es/1356/1/LINAN_2005_05.pdf

— Rex

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Rex

Hum – interesting. I must follow that up.

Thanks

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Rex

Thanks.
    But people who write a series of multi-line partial differential equations instead of saying ‘the flame burns’ are a problem. :)

Cheers

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

At least in the old days, you could burn a journal article like that for some heat.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Ah, I see. But CST is paywalled, and they want US$50 for the full PDF. I refuse to pay as that represents pure profit to the publisher and does NOT serve either science or the public.

If you want an article like that and can’t a free PDF on-line, it never hurts to email the author. They don’t get a dime of the $50, have a PDF of their article at the ready, and generally want nothing more than to be read.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

email the author
    Yeah, I have done that too. Got some replies and some non-replies.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Utilizing the HX Inferno Pot with a HX titanium skirt and a 4 legged canister stove. Having some awesome results. Fuel usage for 500ml of water to boil averaging 5 grams. Those figures given in thread on HX pots. Read through the pages of this thread to get an idea of the benefits of this Inferno HX pot. I have performed many tests with a canister stove and there is no discoloration whatsoever on the bottom of pot and exchange fins…..I’m well pleased.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I have one of those little pots – cool!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Some might be interested in these photos((Ken?):

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The recent thread that Roger posted on the worthiness of HX fins was prompted by my curiosity of 30% efficiency claims made by manufactures. His tests proved the claim was true. He said that in a PM to me, also went on to mention the weight factors, this being BPL and all ;).  If you want a light weight HX pot, try the Sterno Inferno with the modifications seen in this thread. 30% more fuel efficiency, fuel efficient, fuel efficient. If you don’t like how much it weighs, don’t purchase it. Just that simple!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Dan

Remind me please: how do you keep the fins tightly compressed? Is a tight fold enough, or do you add some sort of crimp?

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 226 through 237 (of 237 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools