Topic

BPL exclusive–BRS-3000T Jetboil pot riser disk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals BPL exclusive–BRS-3000T Jetboil pot riser disk

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

If you're still making the thingy, I'll take one! Send a PM if so and I'll send payment via Pay Pal. Thanks.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I'll make your JB pot riser tomorrow, Monty, and mail it as soon as I can. Thanks for supporting The Thingy Project!

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I ordered multiple rings from Gary and he gave me a great price and mailed them very quickly. Great guy to do business with – I also have some of his titanium grates which I carry in areas where I can build campfires.
    Check out his site for lots of great UL gear.
    http://qiwiz.net/

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks for the nice words, Mike. It was fun to exchange e-mails and get to know you a bit.

By the way the QiWiz.net web site is Rob Kelly's, not mine. I'm totally cyber-challenged, and Rob was very kind to offer to host my Zia gear.

So…does anyone else want a Jetboil pot riser disk? I have allotted enough titanium foil to make a few more for you folks.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Since we are winding down with this BRS craze, I thought I would make an offer to the good folks here on BPL. I stockpiled some extra BRS-3000T stoves to pass on to local friends, and I have a few left over. For those that have a Jetboil pot and would like to try this technique out without having to buy from GearBest and wait awhile to get it, I am offering a package deal of a stove and the riser disk for $24, which includes shipping.

I will also include a little custom cuben drawstring bag that I made for the stoves. It weighs the same as the silly green stock bag, but it is less bulky and far more water resistant. Besides, it's cooler looking, and the camp critters will admire you greatly. It's all about garnering squirrel respect, don't you know?

If interested, shoot me a PM, or preferably, e-mail me at drzooz(at)aol(dot)com

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Here’s an interesting thing I found out about using alternative stoves with the JB cup and riser “thingy.” I’d been eyeing the Fire Maple FMS-300T stove for some time, as well as a rebranded version that Olicamp sells, which they named the Ion. I’m fairly certain that the FMS-300T is the one that the pirated BRS-3000T was modeled after. They looked pretty similiar to me. I wanted to see if that stove would be a higher quality, though slightly heavier, stove to use with the JB Thingy setup.

Recently, our dear Jennifer Mitol was selling her FMS-300T (which they call the Hornet), and I was able to acquire one finally. By the way, Jennifer is, as you would like expect, a very stand-up lady, fast shipping, the stove was in perfect slightly-used condition, and I was sooo happy to not have to pay $55 for an Olicamp version.

Here’s what I’ve learned. The FMS-300T is of a higher quality build than the BRS-3000T. It not only has brass threads where the canister attaches, but it also has a much better burner head. It would be easier to break down for the rare jet cleaning. But it costs a whole lot more (the Olicamp Ion is $50 + tax), and it weighs 0.7 oz. more.

How will it work with the JB Thingy? Not well at all, actually. The burner sits about 1/2″ lower than that of the BRS-3000T does. This not only positions it further from the pot, but it also allows more wind to get to it, as the burner sits right at the bottom of the JB flux ring (the BRS-3000T burner is a bit more protected by the flux ring). The Fire Maple stove is a good one for sure, but it doesn’t work as well with the pot riser setup. There might be some other small stoves that would work well with our Thingy setup, but I haven’t seen any. The SP Lite-Max arms don’t fit inside the JB pot, and I can’t fine a Soto on any of the shelves to check out. So for me, for now it’s the BRS-3000T for the win! Because it works, it’s cheap, and did I mention that it’s cute?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

One last thing about the pot riser Thingy–I was wrong when I mentioned that the disk will fit all Jetboil pots. When I made one for my MiniMo I realized that the disk needed to have a slightly greater diameter. It’s true that all JB pots will fit on all JB stove burners, but the wider pot diameters of the MiniMo and Sumo pots require a larger diameter Thingy for a snug fit. If anyone is interested in having one made for a MiniMo or Sumo pot, feel free to contact me (drzooz(at)aol(dot) com). I actually don’t recommend using a Thingy and BRS stove with the tall Sumo pot however, as this would be a very top heavy and tipsy setup. It works fine with my MiniMo pot.

scott owen
    BPL Member

@scottysangmail-com

Do you think either of them would fit the Olicamp XTS 1.0L pot?

Also looking for a carbon fiber or Ti lid for it.  spec says 4.5″ ID  saw someone mic’d it at 4.460″ ID

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I have no idea if the larger JB riser disk would fit your Olicamp pot, Scott. I made these to precisely fit the Jetboil cups, and I don’t have an Olicamp XTS 1.0 L pot for comparison. As for a lid, none of Josh Leavitt’s carbon fiber lids will be large enough diameter to fit your pot. You might check out Don Kelvius’ aftermarket ti lids at Four Dog Stoves. The one for the Snow Peak 900 pot might be about right for your pot, but I can’t say for sure. It is a perfect fit for my MSR Titan Kettle, as well as my JB MiniMo cup. Those 2 pots each have an inside diameter at the rim of a hair over 4.5″.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gary,

<span style=”line-height: 1.8;”>If still available I’d like one as well</span>

Roger

Kurt L
    BPL Member

@trimix1050

I will take one if you still have any.  PM sent

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

PM back at ya, Kurt.

Eng-Shien Wu
    BPL Member

@engshien

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Fire Maple stove is a good one for sure, but it doesn’t work as well with the pot riser setup.

If the Fire Maple FMS-300T stove is too tall with the pot riser, will it work well without the pot riser? Just curious.

Creature
    BPL Member

@creaturelibre

I’m super late to the game, but I spent 10 days this summer up in the Bob Marshall in WY borrowing someone’s jetboil pot set up with the JB Thingy pot riser disk and it was awesome and way lighter than my stove set up… I’m seeking to emulate it! Does anyone make these now? I’ll send you an email, too, in case that’s still good. thank you!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Josh’s modified BRS3000T for reference only.

pot supports

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Also works with a Firemaple 300t.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Does Gary still make these risers?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Indeed, Dan, Gary will still make a JB ‘Thingy’ for anyone interested. Just send me an e-mail:

drzooz (at) aol (dot) com

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Great, BPL Member @creaturelibre wants one :-)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

She contacted me, I responded, and I think I’ve hooked her up, Dan.

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools