Topic

BPL exclusive–BRS-3000T Jetboil pot riser disk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals BPL exclusive–BRS-3000T Jetboil pot riser disk

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

As you may know, Stephen Parks and I simultaneously came up with a good way to raise the Jetboil pot higher above the BRS-3000T stove burner than what Josh Leavitt's stove leg mod does. This allows using a medium flame setting without quenching, which allows a faster burn with the same fuel consumption. There is a discussion of the merits of raising the pot at the end of the thread below;

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/brs-3000t-review-caffin.html?forum_thread_id=100258&disable_pagination=1#.VYmX97MulN0

Using titanium foil for the "pot riser," I went through several 4 oz. fuel canisters and 1.5 square feet of foil to test some prototypes. I think I've finally figured out the optimal dimensions for a riser disk that is light, durable, and which allows the full flame to pass through unimpeded to get to the pot.

I gave my design to Josh, as a way of thanking him for initiating the BRS-3000T mod for a Jetboil cup in the first place. I thought he might want to include a riser with his kits. I had intended to make some of these to pass on to the members of BPL, but Josh offered to make a batch to my specifications. I was happy to pay his price for these, as he has the machines to do clean cuts in a professional way (mine are somewhat crappy, though fully functional). The disks are made from CP foil that is a burly .008" thick, and the average weight is 3.6 grams each. Here's what they look like:

The riser disk, which is inserted into the bottom of the Jetboil cup and contacts the bottom of the fins.

JB pot riser disk

This one shows the disk nesting inside the pot bottom. The support arms of the stove rest nicely on the disk, and this effectively raises the pot to the proper height above the stove burner for efficient boils.

Riser disk in pot

This riser setup offers several advantages over the original "place the bent support arms between the fins" approach. First, it positions the pot at the right height above the burner, which allows one to employ a medium flame setting without the quenching problem. I am able to boil 2 cups with a medium flame setting in about 3:00 minutes, consuming an average of 4.5 grams of fuel. With the "supports in the fins" technique, I could only use a medium-low flame setting to avoid quenching, and it would take about 5:00 minutes to achieve the boil, but still just consuming 4.5 grams of fuel. So…a faster burn. Not quite as fast as a stock JB stove, but about the same fuel efficiency (and a lighter setup!)

It is far easier to place and remove the pot from the stove with this disk. The supports-in-the-fins arrangement is a little finicky. To place the pot on the stove, you first place the pot over 2 of the supports, then position it so that it slips over onto the third one. Easy. Removing the pot is even easier, as the stove's support arms swing upward and out of the way when the pot is lifted.

With the pot sitting on the riser, you can spin it around to position it wherever you like, unlike the fixed position of the supports/fins technique. Of course the latter provides a very stable and secure pot-on-stove arrangement, but that might be a bit of an overkill. The pot/riser can't slide off the stove easily, as the stove supports hit the inside of the pot's bottom. As long as you set the canister on a level surface (which I assume we all do), everything is quite stable.

A couple of other comments:

The inside ring of the disk will take on a patina with use, it being close to the flame. This adds character, IMO.

It is best to position the disk such that the slit isn't near where the support arms will be. The supports could slip through to contact the fins. Most likely it won't be a problem, but it's easy to avoid this possibility with proper positioning of the disk. Also, when the pot is rotated, the disk usually moves with the pot (more frictional contact with the fins than with the stove support arms). This could result in a support arm getting hung up on the disk's slit.

These disks work well whether you have a stock stove or one where you've bent the arms. They also work with a FMS-300T stove and an Olicamp Ion. I checked out the fit of the smallest stove REI had (the Snow Peak LiteMax was all they had in stock), and it DIDN'T fit. Maybe the Soto will?

Now it's time for me to mention what the BPL Exclusive Deal actually is. So that Roger won't whap me, I am only offering these disks to BPL members. To buy one, you must first do a post on this thread, saying you want one. That way I can see F, M, or MLife next to your name. Then, send me a PM to get my PayPal e-mail address and we'll take it from there. I am not able to mail these outside the U.S., sorry. The cost would be prohibitive.

I am offering these for $10 each, which includes shipping and everything. I know, I know, that's about what the cheapest BRS-3000T sells for. Keep in mind that I have misc. costs like PayPal fees, postage, envelopes, and gas to get to the post office. All I'm trying to do is cover my costs, which includes the R & D to get the design right. Another thing that makes these a BPL exclusive deal is that this is the only place you can get one. Josh indicated that he will not be selling them as individual items, but rather that they would be part of his stove/lid bundle. Depending on the demand, I may or may not ask Josh to make another batch of these. If I do, I will likely need to raise the price a couple bucks to make it worth my effort. But for now, I just want to pass the concept on to my buddies here on BPL.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Gary

Cute idea. Exclusive to BPL members. Consider yourself 'not-whapped'. :-)

cheers
    Roger Caffin

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks, Roger. I hoped it would be acceptable. Now, whether anyone actually wants one is up for speculation. Maybe the BRS-3000T craze is over. Pity…

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I have the R.L. Jetboil kit and could make good use of one of these, but $10 is more than I would spend on it.

Jameson Tisch
    Spectator

@jameson_tisch

I missed out on the hype because I don't have a jetboil. Any idea when Ruta Locura will offer this piece in the kit? And what pot works best for this stove?

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Ill take one

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

I'll take one. Do you still need the titanium shield for the canister?

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

I am also interested in one…though, how well does the riser stay in place vertically against the fins? Does it rest a half inch down or something and the stove pushes it in place vertically or does it stay pretty much where its supposed to vertically?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

@ Carol: I replied to your PM just now.

@ Bill: I don't feel that the heat shield is necessary when using a medium flame setting. Send me a PM if you would like to purchase one, and I'll give you my PayPal e-mail address.

@ Dan: The disk is pretty close to a perfect fit inside the pot bottom, and it doesn't rattle around. However, it might slip a bit vertically when it's off the stove. When you place the pot back on the stove the disk is shoved back up to the fins where it belongs.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Jameson, I don't know when Josh will be including the riser in his kits. He indicated that he would do that when he makes up the next batch of kits. He will sell what he has in stock first.

Stephen Lovett
    BPL Member

@stephenlovett

Locale: Bay Area - Northern California

I'll take one, thank you sir!

Steve

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks, Steve. If you'll PM me, I'll provide you with my PP e-mail address. Actually, I'm not so much a "sir," but I'll take that as a compliment. I'm just a dude.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Gimme one!

PM inbound…

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Jon Fong just contacted me about which Jetboil pots this riser will fit. The various pots all have the exact same bottom dimensions, and they are made to fit any of the JB stoves. So this riser will fit the old PCS pots, and also the Sols, Sumo, Flash, Zip, MiniMo, etc. The exception is the unique Joule system, and also the fry pan and the 1.5 liter pot which are designed to sit on JB's dedicated pot support.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

I'll try one. PM coming.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I misunderstood what Jon had asked me about. What he wanted to know was if the riser disk would have any affect if left inside the pot when it was used with the stock Jetboil stove burner. I did a quick test to see, and it didn't seem to have any affect on the performance of the stove. The flame easily passed through the disk's center hole, and the titanium didn't glow like it does with the BRS stove running at a medium-high flame. I did notice, however, that the pot cozy seemed to be warmer than usual, so maybe the disk had something to do with that.

Jon's idea was that you could place the disk inside the pot bottom and forget about it, regardless of which burner you will use. My thinking is that you probably should remove the disk when using the stock Jetboil setup (you don't want to void the JB warranty if things go wrong, do you?).

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

PM sent.

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

I'll take one "dude".

PM sent!

And thanks SO much for doing all the research and sharing!

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

I'll take one, Gary. Thanks!

Patrick Baker
    BPL Member

@f1prb22

I will take one too.

Thanks for doing this !

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Patrick, I'd be happy to send you what one member called the "titanium Jetboil thingy."

Please send me a PM and I'll provide you with my PayPal e-mail address.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

You xxxx are going to have me subscribing again for for the first time in a long time.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks Gary for the work. PM inbound!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Yeah, Richie, BPL is like snake oil salesmen–once we find your weak spot we get you hooked and you have to keep coming back. I see an F by your name. Wanna buy a titanium Jetboil thingy? If so, pop me a PM and I'll provide you with my PayPal address.

I found out something else about this disk today. It securely stores the stove in its stock green pouch in the bottom of the pot. It doesn't rattle around at all. This allows more space inside the cup for other things. Josh's heat reflector does this quite well, and I was surprised that this pot riser works as well.

pot riser and stove storage #1

And it stays secure even when the pot is upright. The stove won't slip through the center hole like I had expected.

Pot and stove storage #2

So how cool is that?

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

PM sent.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools