Topic

Micro-CPAP

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Mark V. BPL Member
PostedMay 24, 2015 at 5:16 pm

This may have discussed here before, but I could find nothing.

I just saw this on another forum and I thought it might be a good fit here. It is a micro-cpap machine. The Airing micro-CPAP

Here is the web address: http://www.fundairing.com/#first-ever-micro-cpap

I am only sharing because it looks like it reflects the focus of lightweight backpacking. I am currently using a Transcend cpap, but I think this is worth looking into.

It looks like their crowd funding will start next month.

I have zero affiliation with this company. I am just a backpacker that uses a cpap.Micro-CPAP photo from the AIRING Site

jscott Blocked
PostedMay 24, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Wow! this could be a dream come true, so to speak, for many. I hope that the moderators allow this, although I'm not really sure about the rules. Seriously, if this is even half-way effective, what a bonus for people with apnea sleeping at elevation especially.

None of the other lightweight 'aids' that I've tried (all of them) while backpacking are even remotely effective. The Transcend cpap machine mentioned is just too heavy with a battery for backpacking.

Mark V. BPL Member
PostedMay 24, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Oh heck, I hope I didn’t do something wrong by posting this.
Hopefully somebody will let me know if I did so I will not repeat it.
The transcend cpap is expensive (although my home cpap cost a lot more). I travel a lot for my job so it makes sense.
I just saw this on another forum and I thought: Wow! This would be great! (If it worked…)

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedMay 24, 2015 at 8:50 pm

"Oh heck, I hope I didn’t do something wrong by posting this." You most certainly did not.

This does not sound good though, "Each Airing device is designed for one night’s use only and is recyclable."

jscott Blocked
PostedMay 24, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Mark: oh yeah if I traveled a lot I'd have a Transcend too; in fact I'm sure one is in my future (how do you like it by the way?) as it's the best looking lightweight machine that I've seen.

I'll have to look more closely at the 'one use' feature…hmmm. Depending on price, maybe worth two for the first two nights at altitude? I'm not looking to replace my cpap machine, just find something worthwhile for backpacking.

edit: they'r claiming a price of $3.00 per device. That's nothing for backpacking. They look light enough to carry say 5 no problem. As I said, if they're half-way decent I'm in, considering there's nothing else available.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedMay 24, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Their Facebook page says that they hope to make them recyclable. Great idea, just needs a bit more work.

Dan Yeruski BPL Member
PostedMay 26, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I seriously doubt that such a small device can produce the amount of air pressure to insure a comfortable nights sleep.

Sleeping at a 45 degree angle in a hammock might be an option for cpap users.

PostedMay 26, 2015 at 3:33 pm

For CPAP, wouldn't you have to like… tie your head in a bandage to stop from mouthbreathing at night?

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedMay 27, 2015 at 12:34 pm

regular CPAP requires maybe 1 pound of battery per day, not reasonable for backpacking

somehow, I'm skeptical this will be a real product

sleeping on my side minimizes apneas

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...